4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

i know this topic has been covered somewhere...sorry.

currrently we are in the process of AOS. biometrics will be taken on thursday. we want to move out of the state asap but i don't want to mess up our AOS approval by any means. will they transfer our paperwork to the appropriate office or leave it at CSC (where we currently live)? will it end up taking longer if we don't wait until after AOS is complete? i don't want to have to stick around here for 3, 4 ,5 , 6 + more months to wait for a possible interview. if i change our address, make the infopass appointment, etc, and there is a mistake, i can still receive our mail at the current address on file but obviously if there is an interview necessary in CA it would be impossible for us to come back for that.

advice please!

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

There are two fold issues when dealing with a move. #1 having your file transferred (for pending/open cases), and changing your address.

I did the following: submitted AR-11 for him, I-865 for me, wrote a letter to my previous local office advising them to transfer my pending file to my new location, wrote a letter to my new location advising them to request my file from my previous local office. I attached a copy of the AOS NOA to the requests. I also wrote to the local ocngressperson asking for assistance in ensureing this is transferred. I have yet to contact USCIS via phone, and will do so next week. As far as mailing, I only did change of address. I should get on doing mail forwarding as well.

Below is some information by Meauxna that helped me:

[

There are a number of things you can do to help this succeed. Getting your landlady on board is good, and you can talk to your letter carrier and let her know. SOME mail does get fwd'd by USCIS/USPS--all of our important stuff was forwarded.

Also be sure your names are inside your new mailbox.

To successfully change your mailing address, from the Dept of Overkill:

-file AR-11 as required by law. This does not change your *mailing* address, but it informs USCIS where you might have been, at one time. Just do it, it's the law.

In the past, our predecessor, the INS, required every alien in the United States to report his or her address annually, in January. This requirement was eliminated in 1980 and annual reporting is no longer required. However, if you are not a U.S. citizen, the law still requires that you report any change of address change within 10 days of the change.

How Do I Report a Change of Address to the USCIS?

AR-11 does not generally generate a NOA receipt. Send by trackable mail.

-Copy of AR-11 to any LOCAL or district office where you might have a file. Include a letter saying: change my mailing address

-copy of AR-11 to any Service Center where you might have a file. Include a letter saying: change my mailing address

-Phone call to 1-800 MisInformation line with the request: please change my mailing address

-file I-865 for USC Sponsor as required by law. You *may* get a NOA for this one and it *might* change the Sponsor's mailing address. Or not.

Sponsor's Notice of Change of Address

-file Change of Address and Mail Forwarding with the USPS. Your USCIS mail *might* get forwarded to your new addy. Or returned to USCIS, you never know. Unfortunate side effect: the PO sells your new address to bulk mailers and you are now back on every junk mailing list under the sun.

Do-it-yourself: Stop junk mail, email and phone calls

http://www.obviously.com/junkmail/

30 days later

-Follow up phone call to 1-800 to see if address change is captured.

-Cross fingers and keep an eye on processing times and when you expect to be contacted. Don't let it go for ages and then say 'dude, where's my case?'.©

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Im in the same boat...

waiting for my biometrics I hope letter comes today and I will be moving on the 11th of January..

good thing is my MIL lives at my current address so if all else fails ill have to come back to baltimore for the AOS

AOS Timeline

12/05/2007 - Mailed AOS package

07/03/2008 - Received Welcome Letter and Green Card in Mail.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.