Misty1979

Help a confused girl out!

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey guys, just a couple quick questions before I hop the plane tomorrow and head home to the US finally :)

I'm a little confused as to when I can actually start working. I know my greencard will take anywhere from 3-7 weeks to come in the mail after I arrive, and my SSN can take just as long, but do I need to actually have both of them in my possession before I can work?

And...

I checked off that little box on the DS-230 asking them to apply for a SSN number for me. Since it doesn't sound like they are very diligent on actually applying for our numbers for us, should I just stop in at the local SSN office and apply anyways?

Any advice would be appreciated:)

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Filed: Timeline

Okiedokie. You do not need the physical GC to work, but you do need the SSN card. My take? Wait 2 weeks, go to your local SSA office and apply for the SSN. It should arrive in 2 weeks or so (the card, but you can find out the actual number in circa 72 hours). Familiarize yourself with form I-9 from Homeland Security (eligibility for employment or some sh1te like that).

Good flight!!!

I think you can work if you can show that you're work authorized (which the green card does) and that you have applied for the social security number and that it will arrive in a certain number of days.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Congrats and have a safe flight home!!!

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Timeline

Ok cool, so by the sounds of things, I won't have to sit around for 6+ weeks waiting for a green card to come in the mail, that was my main concern:) There is a SSN office nearby our new place in NC, so I'll make sure to pop in there and grace them with my presence within a couple of weeks just to make sure my SSN card is really on the way :thumbs:

Thanks for the speedy replies!

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

July 25/07 Medical

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Timeline
I.think.most.employers.are.gonna.want.a.SSN!

Clear.your.inbox.Misty!...You're.all.full!

Ooh you're right...must be that person who spams me all the time :devil: I'll have to sift through again and delete a couple....I have a serious problem deleting emails, I guess I'm a packrat when it comes to my inbox hehe.

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

July 25/07 Medical

Timeline

All depends on who u ask!!

1) you wont actually need the "green" card to work!! The I-551 stamp acts in its place until the actual card arrives!! The 551 stamp is good for 1 yr, but ur card will arrive before that. 1 month is around the average wait time

2) Ur able to work as soon as u arrive, as long as the employer is happy with that. If after 10 to14 BUSINESS days, no SSN, head to ur local office and check on its status and be prepared to "reapply" One can download the form and already have it filled out at ssa.gov The problem is that many employer may not now the rules that apply to the type of visa that you came in on, so be prepared to assist them in finding the info!! makes you look intelligent at the same time, which I'm sure u are!! Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

on my K1 i waited 5 days went in and had it 4 days later. All depends on where you live for mailing.

AOS Timeline

12/05/2007 - Mailed AOS package

07/03/2008 - Received Welcome Letter and Green Card in Mail.

Filed: Other Timeline

I think an employer can't actually pay you until you have your SSN, so if you end up waiting several weeks on that, you'll be waiting several weeks on a paycheque too!

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think you're right on that one Reba.Without the actual number they dont know who really theyre taxing. I suppose if the perfect job came up and you were willing to wait to be paid to have the job it might be worth it.

This summer my daughter had a camp counseling job but couldn't find her b/c or ss card. They allowed her to work but held her checks until she provided the docs.

google.gif

Timeline

proof that you've applied for an SSN is all that's required to work-but I'm guessing that most employers aren't going to be willing to be that technical. I'd say go ask the SSA where your number is after you've been here for 2-3 days. Feigned ignorance seems to work in this type of situation-"Oh, I wasn't supposed to bother you till it'd been 4 weeks. I'm so sorry, can't you help me anyway?"

Oh and the hubby didn't have a problem getting hired with just the canceled visa-there's some verbage at the bottom of the visa saying that it's valid work authorization for a year or something like that. The company didn't bat an eye

Edited by thermophile

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.