Paul & Ilona

Who's been to the Montreal Consulate?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello. I need some info from a Canadian who's already gone through, or is just about to go through getting their visa from the consulate in Montreal.

When will I be subjected to the medical exam? Does that get done before, after, or during the interview in Monteal? Will I get specific instructions from Them on EXACTLY when and where to go to get that done, or will I be in charge of figuring that out myself? If the Dr. finds that I am missing some vital innoculation or not up to date with my shots, will the appropriate needles be administed to me by the Dr. at that time? Or will I have to go and come back and show them that I got my shots from my GP?

What about fingerprinting? Do I have to get them done by myself and bring the fingerprints with me, or will they do it at the consulate, or what? Is fingerprinting the same thing a "Biometrics"?

I'll also need a police certificate. The purpose of the certificate is simpy to show the places you've lived and that's it, right? Are those difficult to get? Can that be obtained from any police station? Will it take 6-8 weeks to get it delivered like everything else on earth? I've never been arrested or convicted of a crime or anything bad like that. Will I need to bring something to the consulate to prove that I'm not a criminal, or do you only have to worry about it if you actually have crime in your background?

Thanks just all to pieces!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Welcome to VJ!! Not to sound like a grump, but lots of good info on the stickies at the CR-1 forum and VJ does have a search engine, and check out the consulate reviews/Embassy Info at the top of the page, lots of info

Police cert: Time wise varies, depends where u live, etc. Some offer same day service, some next day, some within a week. Some charge $$$, some are free. Most (not all) RCMP detachments do them, most (not all) local police forces do them, and if ur in the Greater Toronto area http://www.commissionaires.ca/ do them. Just ensure the search is down CANADA wide, which they should be anyways and the search is done by using all your names. If you have had a criminal record you will also require fingerprinting which can take awhile!! NO criminal record=NO fingerprinting. Even the looks of the police cert varies! Some look professional, some look like #######!! Some include a pic of you, some don't!! So dont be alarmed if urs looks different from someone else's!!

Before they issue you the visa, you have to have a medical!! The medical info is included in one of the packets. It states what shots are required and which doctors you can goto, or click on this : http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/inde...mp;cty=Montreal

Shot info:http://www.panelphysicians.com/Pages/Immunizations.htm

If you require shots, its best to get them by ur doctor, as they are usually free!!! If you get them completed at the immigration medical,they will charge you $$$$. If you have no clue what shots you have had, and have no record, u can get your Dr to draw up a titre (they take blood and analyze it)

The interview itself for the majority of Canucks is painless, probably the easiest part of the whole process!! it is very quick and the questions they ask are very easy!! Inm and out of the interview room in less than 10 minutes!!

Since you have no criminal record, no fingerprinting. And what you see people on VJ as "Biometrics" is not the same. As a Cr-1/Ir-1 you won't have to do 'Biometrics" until later. that depends if ur a cr-1 or ir-1 as the visa lengths differ, but thats down the road!! Biometrics is when you go into ur local USCIS office, and they photograph u and take fingerprints! They will fingerprint you at the Mtl interview,but I think they only do 1 finger.

By the looks of ur timeline u just submitted the I-130, so not to be a bearer of bad news, but you probably have a long wait in front of you. Not sure on the avg length, but some cases have been hovering around the 1 yr mark, but Mtl does seem to be picking up speed, which isnt saying much!! So no need to rush out and get a medical or police cert yet!! As well you will require a LONG form birth certificate. The type that has your parents listed on the actual birth cert.

Hope the above makes a bit of sense, I'm working on only 1 cup of coffee!!! Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Timeline

As Scott mentioned above, you've got a long wait ahead of you, so hold off on most of your worrying for a few months yet. ;)

You can't get the medical done until you have the interview letter from the consulate, but you can find your vaccination records, or have your doctor draw titres whenever you feel like it. As most Canadians have already had all vaccinations by law just to attend school, you probably don't need anything except a tetanus booster, unless you've had one in the last 10 years. Evidence of immunity will suffice for hte medical exam, and your doctor can give you the titre results when/if you get them. There's a list of required immunizations at this website http://www.panelphysicians.com/

Police certificate is only valid one year, so you will want to hold off on that as well until probably you get notice that the petition has been approved. Which province and city do you live in? In some areas you can go to your local police station, in other areas you have to go to RCMP, and in Toronto it is best if you go to Commissionaire's for it.

You'll want to make sure that your passport will still be valid at least the length of your visa for when you get it. If your passport is about to expire, you may want to get a new one soon. You'll also need your long form birth certificate, not the wallet sized one. And you'll want to figure out what to do with all your worldly possessions and finances before you move. You may want to consult with a financial advisor for that.

That's pretty much it for now, except for the waiting!

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Welcome to VJ!! Not to sound like a grump, but lots of good info on the stickies at the CR-1 forum and VJ does have a search engine, and check out the consulate reviews/Embassy Info at the top of the page, lots of info

Police cert: Time wise varies, depends where u live, etc. Some offer same day service, some next day, some within a week. Some charge $$$, some are free. Most (not all) RCMP detachments do them, most (not all) local police forces do them, and if ur in the Greater Toronto area http://www.commissionaires.ca/ do them. Just ensure the search is down CANADA wide, which they should be anyways and the search is done by using all your names. If you have had a criminal record you will also require fingerprinting which can take awhile!! NO criminal record=NO fingerprinting. Even the looks of the police cert varies! Some look professional, some look like #######!! Some include a pic of you, some don't!! So dont be alarmed if urs looks different from someone else's!!

Before they issue you the visa, you have to have a medical!! The medical info is included in one of the packets. It states what shots are required and which doctors you can goto, or click on this : http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/inde...mp;cty=Montreal

Shot info:http://www.panelphysicians.com/Pages/Immunizations.htm

If you require shots, its best to get them by ur doctor, as they are usually free!!! If you get them completed at the immigration medical,they will charge you $$$$. If you have no clue what shots you have had, and have no record, u can get your Dr to draw up a titre (they take blood and analyze it)

The interview itself for the majority of Canucks is painless, probably the easiest part of the whole process!! it is very quick and the questions they ask are very easy!! Inm and out of the interview room in less than 10 minutes!!

Since you have no criminal record, no fingerprinting. And what you see people on VJ as "Biometrics" is not the same. As a Cr-1/Ir-1 you won't have to do 'Biometrics" until later. that depends if ur a cr-1 or ir-1 as the visa lengths differ, but thats down the road!! Biometrics is when you go into ur local USCIS office, and they photograph u and take fingerprints! They will fingerprint you at the Mtl interview,but I think they only do 1 finger.

By the looks of ur timeline u just submitted the I-130, so not to be a bearer of bad news, but you probably have a long wait in front of you. Not sure on the avg length, but some cases have been hovering around the 1 yr mark, but Mtl does seem to be picking up speed, which isnt saying much!! So no need to rush out and get a medical or police cert yet!! As well you will require a LONG form birth certificate. The type that has your parents listed on the actual birth cert.

Hope the above makes a bit of sense, I'm working on only 1 cup of coffee!!! Best of luck

You hardly sound like a grump when you end up putting your answer below that statement. :lol:

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

well i am a grump,lol!!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Hello and Welcome to the Madness. :D

Do a search for stuff as well as there are extremely current threads running on everything you asked to completely backup Flames9 and others' replies. People here are soooooooooo good. If after you research you still have questions...we all love to help.

:star: :star: :star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Timeline

Well sort of a grump. VJ has SOOOOOOOOO much info, 99.99999% of the questions have already been asked, so a quick search can usually find the answers. Yes I know it isnt a super duper search engine but it works!! I dont get super grumpy about it, but lot of times thesae basic questions sort of dont get answered, because people get tired of posting the same answer over and over,lol and yes I probably did the same as a rookie,lol but were not talking about me,lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.