ddkm

Health Insurance.....

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Quick question...

Once you and your SO gets married, would she still be able to be on her parents insurance?

All I know is as soon as my husband and I got married, I was able to put him on my insurance, no problem.

April 21 Dave arrives in America!

April 28 WE GET MARRIED!!!

May 9 Went to SS office and was denied

May 15 After gathering all paperwork, told we must file through DORA program

July 19 DORA appointment - they send paperwork to Chicago after this.

July 24 Paperwork is received by Chicago

August 9 Notice for Biometrics appointment

August 28 NOAs for AOS/EAD

Sept 6 Biometrics

Sept 26 Email saying card production ordered for EAD.. YES!!!

Oct 9 EAD card, Yay!!!!!

Dec 31 Finally got the Resident card! Yay!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I too have an annual multi-trip travel insurance policy which covers me for the States, but it expires something like 48 hours after entering the States with intent to remain (I checked, because this issue has been worrying me as well :unsure: )

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

I too have an annual multi-trip travel insurance policy which covers me for the States, but it expires something like 48 hours after entering the States with intent to remain (I checked, because this issue has been worrying me as well :unsure: )

My travel insurance company has given me 17 days with intent to remain. I just wanted something to cover me with regards to baggage and some medical too I get sorted.

Timeline

I have looked and looked but cant find anyone to insure me for a short while when I move to the States because I have had cancer.

My OH's medical insurance will cover me after we get married, though not for cancer for 18 months. Thats ok as I don't intend on getting it again :) .

But the problem I'm having is finding someone to insure me for the interim period, as soon as cancer is mentioned, they don't want to know, they won't even insure me without the cancer bit.

Maybe I will just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best that nothing happens in those few weeks.

K1

02/09/2007 I-129F Petition received at Nebraska SC

09/11/2007 Medical scheduled at 10.30am

01/14/2008 Interview at 9.30am Approved

03/13/2008 POE

04/22/2008 Wedding

AOS

05/23/2008 Filed for AOS, EAD and AP.           

09/08/2008 EAD card received.                         

09/15/2008 AP received.                                    

11/25/2008 Card production ordered

Removal of Conditions

10/22/2010 Filed for Removal of Conditions

12/18/2010 Green Card received

Naturalization

11/21/2016 Mailed N400 Naturalization application

11/29/2016 Application received

12/02/2016 NOA1

12/30/2016 Biometrics

01/04/2017 In line for interview

02/09/2017 Received interview letter

03/16/2017 Interview in St Paul, Mn - PASSED!!

03/16/2017 Same day Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I have looked and looked but cant find anyone to insure me for a short while when I move to the States because I have had cancer.

My OH's medical insurance will cover me after we get married, though not for cancer for 18 months. Thats ok as I don't intend on getting it again :) .

But the problem I'm having is finding someone to insure me for the interim period, as soon as cancer is mentioned, they don't want to know, they won't even insure me without the cancer bit.

Maybe I will just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best that nothing happens in those few weeks.

Have a look and see if the State you will be living in has its own Medical Pool similar to the one Oregon runs. This is basically a State run medical insurance program for people unable to get insurance cover through the normal channels. Blue Cross/Blue Shield run the Oregon Medical Pool for the State.

My wife is insured that way with BC/BS even after they turned her down for normal insurance.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Timeline

Have a look and see if the State you will be living in has its own Medical Pool similar to the one Oregon runs. This is basically a State run medical insurance program for people unable to get insurance cover through the normal channels. Blue Cross/Blue Shield run the Oregon Medical Pool for the State.

My wife is insured that way with BC/BS even after they turned her down for normal insurance.

Thankyou for this, I have just looked and blue cross will insure me short term. The excess is high but considering the costs of some treatments, I don't mind. Hopefully I won't need to use them.

K1

02/09/2007 I-129F Petition received at Nebraska SC

09/11/2007 Medical scheduled at 10.30am

01/14/2008 Interview at 9.30am Approved

03/13/2008 POE

04/22/2008 Wedding

AOS

05/23/2008 Filed for AOS, EAD and AP.           

09/08/2008 EAD card received.                         

09/15/2008 AP received.                                    

11/25/2008 Card production ordered

Removal of Conditions

10/22/2010 Filed for Removal of Conditions

12/18/2010 Green Card received

Naturalization

11/21/2016 Mailed N400 Naturalization application

11/29/2016 Application received

12/02/2016 NOA1

12/30/2016 Biometrics

01/04/2017 In line for interview

02/09/2017 Received interview letter

03/16/2017 Interview in St Paul, Mn - PASSED!!

03/16/2017 Same day Oath Ceremony

Filed: Timeline

OP, pls have your fiancee check w her parents' policy to see if she doesn't lose coverage by being married. I do know that once you get to a certain age, there are restrictions as to how long an adult child can be covered. Dunno if marriage complicates it or not, so best to be prepared!

IDK about policies, but pls let us know what you find. I'm currently contemplating getting a second full time job just for the bennies pkg....I'm self employed w private cover, and the rates for me are ridiculous due to a 9 year old extensive hospitalization/surgery. I have been medically cleared, yet it's still following me rate wise. And to add D when he gets here would cost about $600 more a mo....which I'd like not to do.

So do keep us posted! And good luck!

Edited by LisaD

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.