wowswift

People who got married in Canada..

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

ok, so I am getting married and have a question about what address I should use.

I am the American, so do I use my US address on the marriage certificate or should I just use the address here? I've been up here anyways, so I am more worried for the final certificate that I get if it even has my address on it because I don't want them to think I don't have US domicile. (just worried for the I-184 or whatever it is).

When I got the application for the license, I used the Canadian address, and now its on one of the papers, but don't know if it really matters. lol sorry if this doesn't make sense or is a silly question :)

Timeline
DO you live in Canada legally? Or are you there for a vacation to be your fiancee?

I live here but not legally. I don't mind using the US address except that on the first part (the application to get a license) I put down the Canadian address, so its on the marriage license that was hand written. But when we filled out that form, it just asked for mailing address, so I just put it down as the same. On the Registration of Marriage form its asks for Residence before marriage, so I guess I am wondering if it matters that it is different.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just went to check my Marriage License. I wrote the US address as my address on it (I am the Canadian) so that part is not a big deal. I was never questioned about it.

Just be sure for the rest of your paperwork to put your US address. You obviously will want to show that proof that you do in fact legally reside in the US.

Timeline
I just went to check my Marriage License. I wrote the US address as my address on it (I am the Canadian) so that part is not a big deal. I was never questioned about it.

Just be sure for the rest of your paperwork to put your US address. You obviously will want to show that proof that you do in fact legally reside in the US.

ok, im having him call to see if it matters if the two address are different..im thinking it probably won't since i bet vital statistics goes by the long nice form...maybe lol. if they care that its different then i will just put the same, but id rather have it be my US addy

ty

I'd put down whatever your residence is, whether it's in Canada or in the U.S. Immigration won't care about that (suppose you'd married years and years ago and were now just deciding to immigrate.) because they need separate proof of U.S. domicile anyway.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Timeline
I'd put down whatever your residence is, whether it's in Canada or in the U.S. Immigration won't care about that (suppose you'd married years and years ago and were now just deciding to immigrate.) because they need separate proof of U.S. domicile anyway.

yeah but what kind of proof? i haven't even worked in years when i was there, obv not working here now. all my mail goes to my mother's address at the moment, which is really just my bank statements since I never got mail. my driver's license is for another state....the only thing that asks for domicile is the financial support forms and for that I have to have my mom co-sponser anyways. (i hope she does lol)

Filed: Timeline

Sister,

This process is a b!tch; so you want to be quite precise and careful throughout. Are you getting married in the US? in Canada?

Proof of domicile is important - for you as a sponsor, even if your mom is the joint sponsor, you need to prove residence in the US. How? Through bank accounts, being registered to vote somewhere, having a drivers license, etc. :guides:, they are quite helpful.

Good luck, L. :thumbs:

p.s. If you are in Canada illegally, you can potentially get into all kinds of sh1tty trouble that you'd rather avoid and that can screw up the process for you big time- but that's your biz.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Sister,

This process is a b!tch; so you want to be quite precise and careful throughout. Are you getting married in the US? in Canada?

Proof of domicile is important - for you as a sponsor, even if your mom is the joint sponsor, you need to prove residence in the US. How? Through bank accounts, being registered to vote somewhere, having a drivers license, etc. :guides:, they are quite helpful.

p.s. If you are in Canada illegally, you can potentially get into all kinds of sh1tty trouble that you'd rather avoid and that can screw up the process for you big time- but that's your biz.

Ditto all of that!

Proving domicile on the I-864 is up to you, in terms of the documents you produce for your affidavit of support, as Len mentioned.

Timeline
Sister,

Ditto all of that!

Proving domicile on the I-864 is up to you, in terms of the documents you produce for your affidavit of support, as Len mentioned.

yeah bank account is there, anything i have is at that addy. i have a driver's license, car is titled and registered there. so not too worried about that, plus that is a long ways to worry anyways.

getting married in canada. and as far as being here illegally...well in the cr-1 forum, people said it doesnt matter what i do. i entered legally. if i want to get PR status here, aparently I can even though I am illegal, and stay while in that process. I just can't leave and come back at the moment, which is fine.

Timeline
Sister,

Ditto all of that!

yeah bank account is there, anything i have is at that addy. i have a driver's license, car is titled and registered there. so not too worried about that, plus that is a long ways to worry anyways.

getting married in canada. and as far as being here illegally...well in the cr-1 forum, people said it doesnt matter what i do. i entered legally. if i want to get PR status here, aparently I can even though I am illegal, and stay while in that process. I just can't leave and come back at the moment, which is fine.

Well that depends how long you stay - it's not legal to stay in Canada over a certain period of time, there are limits. How long have you been here?

Filed: Timeline
Sister,

Ditto all of that!

Well that depends how long you stay - it's not legal to stay in Canada over a certain period of time, there are limits. How long have you been here?

Ditto what the trailmix said. You should solve your status in Canada before anything else happens sister. Be careful - I would hate to see this seriously screw up your life :(

Timeline
Sister,

Ditto all of that!

Ditto what the trailmix said. You should solve your status in Canada before anything else happens sister. Be careful - I would hate to see this seriously screw up your life :(

still deciding if i should become a PR in canada so we can DCF, but that costs a small fortune too. I am for sure I am illegal because the last time I came they said I could only stay for two weeks and I'm staying. and on CIC's site, if I plan to go for PR here, it doesn't matter if I am legal or not.

Timeline

I just read the thread in the CR-1 forum that you mentioned, I don't think you got very good advice.

First of all, 'domicile' is defined in a few ways, other than actually being - foot on the soil of the U.S.. For example, I am the U.S. citizen, I am also a Canadian citizen and I live in Canada - I am the sponsor.

The other thing is, someone suggested you could file using Direct consular filing, which is not correct for your situation (impossible at this point in fact). You are however able to mail your petition directly to Vermont.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.