marybill07

Name Change After AOS is Mailed

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just mailed out my AOS package. I completed it in my maiden name as I figured that using my married name would cause problems as my visa and all prior paperwork is in my maiden name. Now I'm reading that I should have filled out my forms using my married name to have my last name changed. Yeah, I know I should have checked sooner, but I've been too busy.

Is there a way to get my name changed on these forms? Could I just let USCIS know that I want to use my married name on my GC when I have my biometrics interview and they could update my form I-485 and G-325? That way at least my GC will have my married name. My marriage certificate has my married name on it.

I'm getting bogged down with all the different places I have to get my name changed.

I just mailed out my AOS package. I completed it in my maiden name as I figured that using my married name would cause problems as my visa and all prior paperwork is in my maiden name. Now I'm reading that I should have filled out my forms using my married name to have my last name changed. Yeah, I know I should have checked sooner, but I've been too busy.

Is there a way to get my name changed on these forms? Could I just let USCIS know that I want to use my married name on my GC when I have my biometrics interview and they could update my form I-485 and G-325? That way at least my GC will have my married name. My marriage certificate has my married name on it.

I'm getting bogged down with all the different places I have to get my name changed.

You can but there is a fee involved..I'm not 100% sure though. I'm sure there will be someone else with far more information than I have and I'm sure they will help you :)

Best of luck Mary!

Edited by ~Laura and Nick~

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Timeline

Topic moved to the correct forum.....

You can ask at your interview if they can amend your last name to your married name.... if not then you would need to file form I-90 and pay the fee once you have your greencard....

Kez

Edited by Kezzie

Could be a costly mistake if they won't make the change at the interview! Sorry you didn't read up on this before you sent in your paperwork.

Best of luck getting it changed later!

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Could be a costly mistake if they won't make the change at the interview! Sorry you didn't read up on this before you sent in your paperwork.

Best of luck getting it changed later!

Carla (F)

Thanks, no worries, really. It's not that big of a deal. I'm still the same person no matter what. I can always wait to change my name when my conditional GC expires. Time goes by so fast, that that day will be here before I know it. I can always show my driver's license/marriage cert for proof of my married name. :dancing:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.