106 posts in this topic

**inserts chill pill**

back on topic... FOOD! ~drools~

Cheesecake!

Oh wait, this is MENA.

Halva!

Actually, I don't like halva that much >.<

Ummm...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH I know!

Ok ok, I remember in this Morroccan shop, around Ramadan time. They'd have these fried sweet pastries. I mean, there was just honey or syrup or something drooling off of this stuff. And it had like weird shapes. Like it was all folded and stuff. It was so good.

Anyone have any clue what I'm talking about?

>.>

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
**inserts chill pill**

Cheesecake!

Oh wait, this is MENA.

Halva!

Ummm...

Ok ok, I remember in this Morroccan shop, around Ramadan time. They'd have these fried sweet pastries. I mean, there was just honey or syrup or something drooling off of this stuff. And it had like weird shapes. Like it was all folded and stuff. It was so good.

>.>

beignets?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Unless any of you know someone else on this board personally...and I mean, you spend time with them and you know their history, then how can you pass judgment on someone calling them a racist or a bigot. You don't know me, you don't know how I treat people on a day to day basis, so how can you even make comments about what kind of person I am? Based on a paragraph that I've typed?

Not sure why anyone would want to troll a thread about food to bash someone. Previous suggestion is correct...CHILL OUT!!!

We're all here to help each other, please be respectful of that.

MoFlair.jpgbadsign.jpgfaris.jpgpassport.jpg

beignets?

No, those are like fried dough roll thingies, right?

This was crunchy and crumbled in your mouth. It was dipped in some sort of honey syrup stuff.

Timeline
**inserts chill pill**

Cheesecake!

Oh wait, this is MENA.

Halva!

Ummm...

>.>

Was it sort of crescent shaped? Did they have an almond flavor to them?

I think you're referring to the gazelle horns, right? http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/?action...d=949&lg=en

That wasn't it.

Hm, the shape was weird, It had ridges all around and it was like folded.

LOL, I'm trying to find a picture on some recipe websites.

Edited by RaspberrySwirl

Timeline

I think you're referring to the gazelle horns, right? http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/?action...d=949&lg=en

That wasn't it.

Hm, the shape was weird, It had ridges all around and it was like folded.

LOL, I'm trying to find a picture on some recipe websites.

no, those aren't what I was thinking about. A couple of times when I have visited my huband's family before, they had some kind of cookie that was gooey I remember...sort of what you were talking about. But I can't remember the name either. I do remember that they were REALLY good though!

beignets?

This was crunchy and crumbled in your mouth. It was dipped in some sort of honey syrup stuff.

OK, I also found this website http://www.marmiton.org/recettes/recette.c...m_recette=34069

where the same thing is referred to as beignets, so maybe you're right :D

When I think of beignet, though, I think of doughnuts without holes.

I agree... but not with YOU.. why dont you chill out.. !??

No one was denouncing anybody!!!

de·nounce

–verb (used with object), -nounced, -nounc·ing.

1. to condemn or censure openly or publicly: to denounce a politician as morally corrupt.

2. to make a formal accusation against, as to the police or in a court.

3. to give formal notice of the termination or denial of (a treaty, pact, agreement, or the like).

4. Archaic. to announce or proclaim, esp. as something evil or calamitous.

5. Obsolete. to portend.

She first started talking about HER HUSBAND (arab) and MIL (arab)'s conversation.. AND their talk about "stamina".. We all just agreed!

"People" wanna be all PC but no real Insults were being tossed around..

And I dont know about you... But you ask ANY ARAB MAN.. and they'd easily agree...

why's she saying ridiculous stuff like this then:

"I think most of us on this site would agree that the Arab culture that we've come to know is far more enchanting than anything we've known. At least it is for me. I was married to a good 'ole boy American and was not anywhere near happy as I am now."

and why is she mentioning the nationality of her ex-husband then? what does it have to do with anything that he was american?

i dig moroccan culture and everything gorgeous and lovely it has to offer. but i'm just as enchanted with looking at andy warhol paintings or listening to jazz or reading truman capote. sorry, i'm just not into the cultural rating game. i don't go for that condescending, exoticizing foulness. or maybe i've just been reading too much edward said...i don't know.

as for stamina-undoubtedly universally applicable to the male gender, whether they're arab or pacific islander, australian aborigine or swedish. nothing exclusive there.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Sad to think that someone has to ruin such a fun thread. Glad to know that one persons opinion doesn't have to be the ONLY opinion.

The absolute best food I ate in Jordan was chicken and rice cooked with veggies and cashews and almonds.

Though I don't eat organ meat, my husbands mother kept dishing chicken livers over to me, I put them in my mouth and swallowed them whole, praying that I didn't choke on them as I did so. LOL I didn't want to offend her, so I ate them.

I agree, there is something mysitcal and magical about the Arab culture. The strength of the family unit there is like stepping back into time. I can think of several lessons we as Americans can learn from them as far as family unity is concerned.

LOL For "stamina" my husband eats banana's every day. He made me eat them too! LOL

My life has been blessed with the love of 4 of the sweetest men in the world. James, Jonathan, Nicolas, and Islam, my sons and my S/O.

OPSSSSSSS I DID IT AGAIN!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
beignets?

OK, I also found this website http://www.marmiton.org/recettes/recette.c...m_recette=34069

I think you're talking about spekie (I don't know how to spell it).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
beignets?

I think you're talking about spekie (I don't know how to spell it).

I found a picture, and it's shebbakia or chebbakia:

CebbakiaQelques.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.