JFox762

How to file W7 for filing taxes?

5 posts in this topic

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/how-do-i-apply-for-an-itin

According to the above link, my overseas wife can apply for an ITIN at a local acceptance agent. My wife lives in Thailand, where she teaches english (She's from the Philippines, however). 

I want to file Jointly, since I will owe money if I file Separately... but they will refund me, if I file Jointly. 

So my question is... how does this all work? I heard some people say that you submit your W-7 along with the 1040?
If we have to mail the W7 along with the 1040... and she goes to the Acceptance agency overseas, does that mean she would take my filled out 1040 with her and the acceptance agent will mail both from Thailand?

OR do you have to wait for the W7 to be processed, and then mail your 1040 from the US?

Just confused as to how this all works., 

Local tax agents haven't been very helpful. One turned me away... and the other didn't seem aware of the fact that you can go to a local acceptance agent... and told me my only option was to have my wife mail her Passport in with the W7. 

Edited by JFox762

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

1040 is filed at the same time as the W7. Additionally, if you are filing jointly, she must also sign the return. So you would need to sign it, get it to her, and she would also sign it. Then it is sent in with the W7.

Filing a W7 without the 1040 and relevant schedules and docs attached would result in the W7 being denied.

Edited by shumway88

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Also, if you don't have an acceptance agent nearby, you can (a) send the passport with the W7, (b) take a certified copy of the passport from the issuing agency (passport issuing agency in country or origin), or (c) go to a US embassy/consulate and have a certified copy of the passport made (if this service is offered by the embassy there) and send that in with the W7. Steps B and C would allow her to retain her passport.

Edited by shumway88

How do I fill this out? Several of the boxes it asks you to check, apply in our circumstance

A. Non-Resident Alien required to get an ITIN to claim tax treaty Benefit
B. Nonresident alien filing a US Federal tax return.

C. US Resident alien (based on days present in United States) filing a US federal tax return

D. Dependent of U.S. Citizen/Resident Alien

E. Spouse of U.S. Citizen/Resident Alien
And others that obviously don't apply.

So... would I check, A, B, D, and E? I'm sure C doesn't apply, since she hasn't been here yet. 

• 3 weeks later...

So since she has to go to an 3rd party "Acceptance agency" to submit the forms and show her ID in Thailand... and submit the W7... does that mean she has to submit the 1040 along with it? Can the 1040 be a copy? Or should it be handwritten?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.