1 post in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Hi, 

My husband came to the US on a K1 in March 19 and we were married April 21. We got together all the AOS documents and information and sent it off via FedEx, with an arrival date of May 10. 

It is now May 20, and the money has not been taken out of my checking account yet. 

I'm a little concerned because everywhere I see that the money is taken out usually with 2-3 days after receipt, and the NOA is sent via email/text shortly after. 

I know that it can technically take a couple of weeks, but this is what happened when we sent our K1 application. A month after it arrived at the lockbox, it was returned to me saying my check was not made out for the right amount. The thing was, the check was made for the right amount. I had sent a check from my business checking account, since I don't have checks anymore for my personal account. I asked the people on the phone at USCIS customer service if that was why, and they said no, that it was probably because the price had recently gone up and whoever handled it had forgotten. Because at that point I was living out of the country, I had my dad reship it all with one of his checks and it was accepted with no problem. 

I took USCIS's word for it that having a business account check wouldn't be an issue, and used one again this time (partly because I wanted to just send it ASAP and not wait for checks to arrive in the mail to do this), and now it seems we're headed down the same road... Is there any way that sending a business check (which is slightly longer than a personal check) would be a problem? 

Is it normal to not see the money disappear from my account for a couple of weeks or get a text/email/snail mail NOA? I'm afraid if my payment method is a problem we'll be tight with my husband falling out of status (his K1 expires 6/19). 

Thank you ! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.