TarynL

Fiancé visiting after submitting K1 visa application

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey everyone! So here is the deal, 

I am in Brazil visiting my fiancé right now, and I leave tomorrow :/ we are going forward with the K1 visa process and my plan is to get it all together and ideally get it sent out by end of September to mid october ( we really would like the wedding to be able to fall in between June to September of 2018 ) even though I know it's hard to get it the dates you want, but anyways, my Brazilian fiancé is coming to visit me in December. He did exchange in Canada a couple years back and so for his graduation present his Canadian host family is buying him his plane ticket to my city in the USA! We will spend Christmas with my family and we plan on driving to Canada to spend New Years and some days with his host family he had! I would really love to have the I-129F turned in earlier than December so that ups the chances of his family and friends being able to and having more planning time for a wedding. 

Anyone know if it is OK for him to travel to see me, and to Canada with me, after submitting the application? Any advice or experience with this? 

Thanks!!! 

This thread comes to mind

He can visit. Does he need to apply for a B2 tourist visa or can he travel with an ESTA? If he needs to get a B2, he'll need to be able to prove strong ties to Brazil in order to be granted one. Now if his B2 application happens after your I-129F submission, he might experience a little more scrutiny at the tourist visa interview since the petition would have shown that he has immigration intent. 

If he's able to travel to the US with an ESTA, he's still need to carry some evidence to prove to the CBP officer at the POE that he will return to Brazil after his vacation.

Maybe you can consider to meet and vacation in Canada directly. Less headache or unnecessary anxiety on whether or not he could get a visa or ESTA and be allowed entry.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Timeline
3 hours ago, KULtoATL said:

This thread comes to mind

He can visit. Does he need to apply for a B2 tourist visa or can he travel with an ESTA? If he needs to get a B2, he'll need to be able to prove strong ties to Brazil in order to be granted one. Now if his B2 application happens after your I-129F submission, he might experience a little more scrutiny at the tourist visa interview since the petition would have shown that he has immigration intent. 

If he's able to travel to the US with an ESTA, he's still need to carry some evidence to prove to the CBP officer at the POE that he will return to Brazil after his vacation.

Maybe you can consider to meet and vacation in Canada directly. Less headache or unnecessary anxiety on whether or not he could get a visa or ESTA and be allowed entry.

Sorry this might be a really dumb question, but what is a B2 tourist visa and ESTA? 

Cant he just come on a regular tourist visa ? Sorry if that sounds dumb! Hahahah but thank you! 

2 hours ago, TarynL said:

Sorry this might be a really dumb question, but what is a B2 tourist visa and ESTA? 

Cant he just come on a regular tourist visa ? Sorry if that sounds dumb! Hahahah but thank you! 

B2 is US tourist visa: https://br.usembassy.gov/visas/tourism-visitor/

Visa waiver countries only require an ESTA, an electronic travel authorization.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

Timeline
25 minutes ago, KULtoATL said:

B2 is US tourist visa: https://br.usembassy.gov/visas/tourism-visitor/

Visa waiver countries only require an ESTA, an electronic travel authorization.

So he already has a regular tourist visa for the USA, that would be sufficient? This will be his third time visiting me in the USA. It's just better to show he has ties with Brazil, correct? 

Just now, TarynL said:

So he already has a regular tourist visa for the USA, that would be sufficient? This will be his third time visiting me in the USA. It's just better to show he has ties with Brazil, correct? 

He has a tourist visa, then he can attempt to enter the US. As previously mentioned, if he's visiting the US after a I-129F is filed, then it is best to bring some evidence to show that he'll return to Brazil and does not plan to overstay or adjust his status while on a B2. Bring his return flight itinerary, if he's a working adult then get a letter from his employer stating his approved vacation dates and when he's due back to work etc.

Read the thread I linked you too. Members who have been in that position have shared the kinda supporting documents that they brought (or would bring) to POE just in case the CBP officer wants to see some proofs. Given his "on-time" exits from the US upon previous entries, I think he'll do fine as long as he's honest and have documentation showing ties in Brazil.

*~*~*moved from "IMBRA" to "tourist visas" - general question on tourist visas with pending petitions. Not an IMBRA topic*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.