Redheadguy03

I-134 question 12 part 1 Resided in the United States since?

23 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 24/04/2017 at 5:15 PM, geowrian said:

I think that's the issue...there's plenty of documentation stating otherwise:

http://military.findlaw.com/family-employment-housing/military-children-born-abroad.html

Citizenship would be derived through the parents, not based on being born on US soil. That said, residing on a base due to military orders counts as physical presence for naturalization purposes (as well as several other circumstances).

On 25/04/2017 at 11:31 AM, Hank_ said:

In CITIZENSHIP OR RESIDENCY STATUS your choices are:  11a. - 12.     If you have a naturalization certificate you choose 11a.,  If you have a certificate of citizenship you choose 11b.,  If you derived citizenship through another method you choose 11c (this one is a possible, even though a U.S. military base is considered the USA ... could possibly use this one and follow the instuctions), 11d-e. for sure don't apply.  Then there is 12.

https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-134.pdf

Sorry to post in an old thread, but I couldn't find an answer otherwise.

We are now filling the I-134 and stumbled across some doubts about the "Citizenship or Residency or Status" part. The petitioner was born in a military base in Japan.

He doesn't have a Certificate of Citizenship -- he has a "Certificate of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the USA". So should we check the 11.b. (I am a U.S. citizen through parent(s) or marriage") and put N/A under "My Certificate of Citizenship number is:"?

Also, should we fill the question 12 ("I am xx years of age and have resided in the US since...")? He lived in Japan until 3 y/o, moved to the US for 4 years, and then again back to Japan. Now he lives in the US since 9y/o.

Thanks in advance!!

K1 Journey
Feb 04, 17: I-129F packet mailed
Feb 09, 17: I-129F packet delivered
Feb 14, 17: NOA1
May 18, 17: NOA 2 (98 days)
Jun 03, 17: NVC Receive
Jun 20, 17: Case Number assigned and NVC left
Jun 27, 17: "Packet 3" (email from consulate)
Jul 18, 17: Interview - APPROVED!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, tomohime said:

Sorry to post in an old thread, but I couldn't find an answer otherwise.

We are now filling the I-134 and stumbled across some doubts about the "Citizenship or Residency or Status" part. The petitioner was born in a military base in Japan.

He doesn't have a Certificate of Citizenship -- he has a "Certificate of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the USA". So should we check the 11.b. (I am a U.S. citizen through parent(s) or marriage") and put N/A under "My Certificate of Citizenship number is:"?

Also, should we fill the question 12 ("I am xx years of age and have resided in the US since...")? He lived in Japan until 3 y/o, moved to the US for 4 years, and then again back to Japan. Now he lives in the US since 9y/o.

Thanks in advance!!

U.S. citizen by birth.   11b would be the most accurate.   No number on the certificate, I would put N/A.

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), FS-240, is an official record of U.S. citizenship issued to a person under age 18 who was born abroad to United States citizen parent(s) and acquired citizenship at birth.

What did you use for proof of citizenship for the I-129F?  Copy of the certificate or copies of all pages of the passport?

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Hank_ said:

U.S. citizen by birth.   11b would be the most accurate.   No number on the certificate, I would put N/A.

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), FS-240, is an official record of U.S. citizenship issued to a person under age 18 who was born abroad to United States citizen parent(s) and acquired citizenship at birth.

What did you use for proof of citizenship for the I-129F?  Copy of the certificate or copies of all pages of the passport?

Both: copy of the Birth Abroad and passport pages. Also checked the "USC through parents" in the I-129F, but we didn't check either yes or no Part 1 question 13 d ("have you obtained a Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship in your name") and it was fine.

K1 Journey

Timeline
1 minute ago, Hank_ said:

Not sure how Brazil is about the I-134, but USEM isn't too difficult

Sorry, what is USEM?

K1 Journey

Timeline

Oh, I'm really sorry, didn't notice that!

Thank you for the help!

K1 Journey

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.