5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

Hey :)

I am trying to get fiance visa. My fiance filled all the documents and sent them over three weeks ago. We sitll don't have noa1. The problem probably is that he did not put the documents in an order, the form G-1145 is not clipped on the top. My question is if we should expect any email/letter from uscis anyway or we should contact with them ?

I also have another two questions...

1. I already have B2 visa(visitor). I was in States twice and the third time the border officers didnt let me visit. I am not really sure why but we suppose it is because they had been thinking my purpose is not only to visit. Is it might have an impact on our trying to get fiance visa?

2. My fiance is 14 years older. Some would say it is too big age gap... I am wondering how does uscis look at couples like us? Is it might be a problem?

I'd normally say 3 weeks is a bit much, but with all the holidays and people out on vacation this time of the year, you're not alone (based on the Nov. filer's thread here). I'd give it just a bit longer for the NOA1. It's possible they didn't see the G-1145 on top so they won't send you a text/email. I don't think they go through all the documents right away...they just look for the payment and the G-1145. If you payed by check, you can probably check the bank account and see if it's been cached yet. Expect ~10 days after that date to get the physical NOA1 via regular mail. You can contact them as well, but personally I'd just wait another week or 2.

1) Generally, no. I say generally because the reason for denial is unknown. It could be something like they don't believe you would return home, in which case a K-1 wouldn't be an issue as that is part of its intention already. It could be something said or documents provided that raised some concerns. It could be something completely else we don't know about. If there's nothing you're aware of that would raise concern, then I think you should be fine in the K-1 process.

Also, I'm assuming you have not applied for and been denied other visas in the past. If, for instance, you filed for K-1s, CR-1/IR-1, J-1, etc., then they may assume you're visa shopping, which raises a flag. Generally a denial or 2 isn't an issue, but like 4 or more would likely raise some flags.

2) I kinda hate to ask this, but what's your age? Feel free to tell me to buzz off. :) If you're like 18 and your partner is 32, that might raise a flag. If you're 40 and your partner is 54, then they might not even blink an eye. It's usually not a straight out denial, but definitely a flag that the relationship might not be bona fide. The age gap combined with circumstances out of the norm (different religions, no common language, the USC being female and you being male with that large of an age gap,  etc.) can be cause for a denial.

That said, many couples with age gaps do get through the process without even hitting any hurdles. I wouldn't recommend worrying about it. Just have evidence of your relationship ready and go with the flow. Good luck!

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

Thank you for you reply :) You helped me so I am not so stressed about it now.

I think I was denied entry because of our relationship. I mean they may have thought I wouldn't return home because they read our conversations on skype. We were talking about our future life, that we love each other etc. Somene told me I was more bonded with States than with my home. Which is not true. Anyway, I hope it would not be a problem. I know I will have to describe this situation in a DS-160.

I have only tourist visa. I have never applied for any other visas.

I am 25 years old and my fiance is 39. I am a woman he is a man. Our common language is english, he doesn't speak polish. Religions? I am catholic, he doesn't have any religion ;)  For us... we don't see all these things as a problem. The age gap is even an advantage. 

1 minute ago, AgNeska said:

Thank you for you reply :) You helped me so I am not so stressed about it now.

I think I was denied entry because of our relationship. I mean they may have thought I wouldn't return home because they read our conversations on skype. We were talking about our future life, that we love each other etc. Somene told me I was more bonded with States than with my home. Which is not true. Anyway, I hope it would not be a problem. I know I will have to describe this situation in a DS-160.

I have only tourist visa. I have never applied for any other visas.

I am 25 years old and my fiance is 39. I am a woman he is a man. Our common language is english, he doesn't speak polish. Religions? I am catholic, he doesn't have any religion ;)  For us... we don't see all these things as a problem. The age gap is even an advantage. 

Yeah, I think you'll be fine.

I agree that if they saw stuff like that, then they probably were worried about you not going home. That shouldn't impact your K-1 then.

Perfect. No issues there, then.

Again, I'd say be prepared with evidence of a bona fide relationship just in case. However, I'm leaning towards them not really caring. It's not that uncommon given the rest of your circumstances. :)

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.