meauxna

DCF Canada: Yes Virginia, You Can

136 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Laura428, great idea, use a headhunter and give them dates as to when you are available to work.

Are you able to give me a rough estimate of the costs involved in pursuing the "Green Card"? Were there any medical exams, police record cost etc.? How about the form submission costs?

Thanks,

bruce

Hi Bruce...

Off of the top of my head, the biggest cost we've incurred thus far was the $190 USD to file the I-130. I know there was a fee for the police check - maybe $20? My husband went to take care of that by himself, so I'm not sure what the exact cost was. I know there is a cost for the medical but couldn't tell you what it is yet - that info is included in Packet 4, which we have not received. You'll also need to pay to have a few headshots taken - these were maybe $20 or 30. Oh, and if you don't have a long form birth certificate, you'll have to order that as well... can't remember the pricetag on that one.

Of course, there are the travel costs as well... even though you and I are both much closer to Vancouver, all DCF petitions go through Montreal, so you'll need to pay for airfare, hotel and all other costs incurred. I've been watching fares from Calgary to Montreal - cheapest I've seen thus far was $445, but we missed out on that one b/c we didn't have our interview date yet. I just checked again, and it's jumped to $600... argh.

Do you remember how much your wife paid to come to Canada five years ago? Honestly, all things considered, it's a hell of a lot cheaper to go to the States than it is to come here. I remember my immigration and work status combined costing me $1500, and that was just the application fee! Not to mention the medical and other miscellanea. What I find so funny about that is how the Canadian government is all on about bringing in more immigrants, but seems a bit cost-prohibitive, don't you think? I remember talking to our banker shortly after I moved here. Told her the costs of immigration, how I gave up a job that paid me $35k more USD per year, etc etc etc. She looked at my husband, and looked at me, and said, "Wow, you must REALLY love him." :D

Funny you should mention the costs of when she came to Canada. We were just discussing the cost and figured it to be about what you indicated ($1500 just for the application). My wife still reminds me about how she gave up so much to be with me here in Canada. I wonder if Canada has a DCF for immigration?

It is a little disappointing that the interview is required in Montreal. That for sure will be the largest expense, since I'm about as West in the country as you can get (Victoria).

Not suprising as to the cost of immigrants coming to Canada, as I'm sure you are use to the government grabbing all they can get from us. I'm glad to hear the fees for going to the US are minimal in comparison.

Did you get your Canadian Citizenship or are you at PR status? I suppose you loose your PR status if you are going back to the US. My wife is applying now for dual Citizenship, that way she won't loose status incase we decide to move back to Canada if we make the move to the US. There might be more involved in that, but it should be easier.

Thanks again for the info.

Bruce

Funny you should mention the costs of when she came to Canada. We were just discussing the cost and figured it to be about what you indicated ($1500 just for the application). My wife still reminds me about how she gave up so much to be with me here in Canada. I wonder if Canada has a DCF for immigration?

It is a little disappointing that the interview is required in Montreal. That for sure will be the largest expense, since I'm about as West in the country as you can get (Victoria).

Not suprising as to the cost of immigrants coming to Canada, as I'm sure you are use to the government grabbing all they can get from us. I'm glad to hear the fees for going to the US are minimal in comparison.

Did you get your Canadian Citizenship or are you at PR status? I suppose you loose your PR status if you are going back to the US. My wife is applying now for dual Citizenship, that way she won't loose status incase we decide to move back to Canada if we make the move to the US. There might be more involved in that, but it should be easier.

Thanks again for the info.

Bruce

Hi Bruce... sorry for not replying for a few days. Life's been a little nuts. :)

You know, I don't know if Canada does have DCF. I'm thinking it wouldn't be as necessary, though, since the processing times are so much shorter coming here than going to the States. How long was it for you? It was only eight months from start to finish for us, or only two months longer than this process seems to be taking, so no huge difference there.

I have my PR status but, like your wife, am planning on applying for my Canadian citizenship. Of course, I'll have to fly back to take the test as we'll be moving soon after my husband's US visa is approved. The rule used to be that if you were gone for six months or longer, that Canada could revoke your wife's status. It's changed, though... can't remember the specifics, but I think that after five years, if you've been gone for two out of those five, they can revoke it. Not sure, but I don't want to find out... really wouldn't be happy about having to go through that whole thing again. Besides, my two children were born in Canada (and will have dual citizenship shortly), so it would seem strange for me to not complete the process myself.

Hope all is going well for you... let me know if you have any other questions!

April 24, 2000 - Met in an online chat room

May 26, 2000 - Met in person

July 12, 2000 - Engaged

March 2001 - My permanent resident status is approved in Canada

April 28, 2001 - Married in my hometown, South Bend, IN

May 2, 2001 - Crossed Canadian border and finalized my landed immigrant status

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

February 2006 - The process of bringing my Canadian family to the States begins, so that my two beautiful children can learn about their whole heritage.

March 8, 2006 - I-130 approved in Calgary

March 21, 2006 - Received approval letter and Packet 3

April 17, 2006 - Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

April 20, 2006 - Packet 3 received by Montreal

July 6, 2006 - Received Packet 4

September 8, 2006 - INTERVIEW and APPROVAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

actually as long as your spouse is a Canadian citizen (and you're together) you won't loose your PR status.. of course if you are eligible to apply for citizenship I can't really see why you wouldn't

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomer/res-oblig.html

Here is what you must do to comply with your residency obligations.

You must accumulate two years of physical presence in Canada in every five-year period. You can also count Canadian residency days if you are outside Canada for an extended period of time for one of the following reasons:

* You are accompanying your Canadian-citizen spouse or common-law partner.

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

actually as long as your spouse is a Canadian citizen (and you're together) you won't loose your PR status.. of course if you are eligible to apply for citizenship I can't really see why you wouldn't

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomer/res-oblig.html

Here is what you must do to comply with your residency obligations.

You must accumulate two years of physical presence in Canada in every five-year period. You can also count Canadian residency days if you are outside Canada for an extended period of time for one of the following reasons:

* You are accompanying your Canadian-citizen spouse or common-law partner.

Yes, but my point is that if you move outside of Canada, unless you make arrangements to come back for those two years (out of five), you're hooped without your citizenship. I'd think trying to come back for two years, even sporadically, would be pretty unrealistic for most people.

Surely, they can't mean that by living with your Canadian spouse outside of Canada makes you exempt...?

July 12, 2000 - Engaged

February 2006 - The process of bringing my Canadian family to the States begins, so that my two beautiful children can learn about their whole heritage.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, but my point is that if you move outside of Canada, unless you make arrangements to come back for those two years (out of five), you're hooped without your citizenship. I'd think trying to come back for two years, even sporadically, would be pretty unrealistic for most people.

Surely, they can't mean that by living with your Canadian spouse outside of Canada makes you exempt...?

go look at the CIC webpage. the only way I can figure out how to read the exemption is the time that you spend with your Canadian citizen spouse counts towards the two out of five. there's even something elsewhere on the site that specifically says that if you are maintaining your PR status by being with your citizen spouse, that time doesn't count towards the residency requirement for citizenship.

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

Timeline

go look at the CIC webpage. the only way I can figure out how to read the exemption is the time that you spend with your Canadian citizen spouse counts towards the two out of five. there's even something elsewhere on the site that specifically says that if you are maintaining your PR status by being with your citizen spouse, that time doesn't count towards the residency requirement for citizenship.

Thermophile is correct... If you are living with your Canadian CItizen spouse, that time counts toward the two year out of 5 year requirement. Meaning that if you are still married to your Canadian Citizen spouse, you dfo not lose your Permanent Resident Status...

From the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act...

28. (1) A permanent resident must comply with a residency obligation with respect to every five-year period.

Application

(2) The following provisions govern the residency obligation under subsection (1):

(a) a permanent resident complies with the residency obligation with respect to a five-year period if, on each of a total of at least 730 days in that five-year period, they are

(i) physically present in Canada,

(ii) outside Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen who is their spouse or common-law partner or, in the case of a child, their parent,

(iii) outside Canada employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or in the federal public administration or the public service of a province,

(iv) outside Canada accompanying a permanent resident who is their spouse or common-law partner or, in the case of a child, their parent and who is employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or in the federal public administration or the public service of a province, or

(v) referred to in regulations providing for other means of compliance;

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Thermophile is correct... If you are living with your Canadian CItizen spouse, that time counts toward the two year out of 5 year requirement. Meaning that if you are still married to your Canadian Citizen spouse, you dfo not lose your Permanent Resident Status...

28. (1) A permanent resident must comply with a residency obligation with respect to every five-year period.

Application

(2) The following provisions govern the residency obligation under subsection (1):

(a) a permanent resident complies with the residency obligation with respect to a five-year period if, on each of a total of at least 730 days in that five-year period, they are

(ii) outside Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen who is their spouse or common-law partner or, in the case of a child, their parent,

(iii) outside Canada employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or in the federal public administration or the public service of a province,

(iv) outside Canada accompanying a permanent resident who is their spouse or common-law partner or, in the case of a child, their parent and who is employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or in the federal public administration or the public service of a province, or

Wow, that's great news! I still plan on getting my Canadian citizenship, but it's nice to know that there isn't so much pressure to get it done along with everything else that's going on.

July 12, 2000 - Engaged

Timeline

Application

Wow, that's great news! I still plan on getting my Canadian citizenship, but it's nice to know that there isn't so much pressure to get it done along with everything else that's going on.

On the contrary... there is tremendous pressure on you to get it done... because the Citizenship Act requires three years of residence in Canada out of the last 4 years at the time you take the oath. If they take more than a year to process your Citizenship App, you're SOL.

If you are eligible.. apply NOW...

Edited by zyggy

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Application

On the contrary... there is tremendous pressure on you to get it done... because the Citizenship Act requires three years of residence in Canada out of the last 4 years at the time you take the oath. If they take more than a year to process your Citizenship App, you're SOL.

Zyggy, it's ok. I just meant that it does not have to be done today. I fully intend on getting the process started within the next few months. Just nice to have one thing off of my immediate plate, as I'm currently balancing this immigration process, packing up my house, researching the real estate market where we're going, maintaining a few budgets with my husband's varied employment opportunities, and... oh yeah... taking care of my two and a half year old and seven month old.

It will get done. Just not this second. :)

Edited by laura428

July 12, 2000 - Engaged

Timeline

Application

Zyggy, it's ok. I just meant that it does not have to be done today. I fully intend on getting the process started within the next few months. Just nice to have one thing off of my immediate plate, as I'm currently balancing this immigration process, packing up my house, researching the real estate market where we're going, maintaining a few budgets with my husband's varied employment opportunities, and... oh yeah... taking care of my two and a half year old and seven month old.

It will get done. Just not this second. :)

That's what I mean.. I don't think you have a month or two... If you want to make it happen, you need to do it before August...

The paperwork only takes an hour or two to fill out. If I were you, I would give the kids to dad and take a couple of hours to do it..

The form, two pictures, the payment, and a copy of your Permanent resident card, your DL and passport is all you need to get started...

Getting another Citizenship is something that is very special and unique.. don't let this golden opportunity pass you by..

Edited by zyggy

That's what I mean.. I don't think you have a month or two... If you want to make it happen, you need to do it before August...

The paperwork only takes an hour or two to fill out. If I were you, I would give the kids to dad and take a couple of hours to do it..

The form, two pictures, the payment, and a copy of your Permanent resident card, your DL and passport is all you need to get started...

Getting another Citizenship is something that is very special and unique.. don't let this golden opportunity pass you by..

Ok, Zyggy... this is the last thing I'm going to say about this. And quite honestly, although I appreciate all of the advice you've provided to me and others here, not even my parents would be on me like you've been, as they know that if I say I'm going to do something, I do it.

If it were as easy as giving the kids to Dad, I'd be thrilled to do so. However, Dad works 7:30am to 5:30pm, eats dinner, helps with the kids until bedtime, and then goes back to work until our bedtime, or his if he's working late. Not just Monday through Friday, but even on the weekend. What's more, I cannot just pass the kids over to Dad even when he has time, as my youngest is a very high needs infant... something else that takes up quite a bit of my time.

For me to go get pictures taken, I have to go when neither of my kids is napping, the youngest of which naps during mid-morning and mid-afternoon, and the oldest who naps in the afternoon as well (just not, unfortunately, at the same time as the youngest). So finding time after breakfast, then between getting the kids ready for the day, naptimes, lunchtimes, second naptimes, grocery store runs, playtime, getting dinner ready, bedtime, and everything in between, is much easier said than done.

The form is done, and has been done, for months, quite honestly. Even the copies of my PR card, drivers license and passport are done. But when you're juggling what I'm juggling right now, finding an opportunity to actually file them is not so easy.

That is NOT to say that it is not high on my priority list. Again, just not this second.

Sorry if this is coming off as harsh, I really don't mean it to be. But I'm kinda feeling backed into a wall here as every time I post about something (that has nothing to do with this Canadian citizenship issue OR filing for my kids' records of birth), you've asked if I've done it yet. In fact, I'm beginning to feel a little leery about posting anything here at all for risk of having to face the inquisition again. :lol:

Respectfully, Zyggy, it will get done. Period. End of discussion.

:)

Edited by laura428

July 12, 2000 - Engaged

Timeline

I do not doubt that you will get it done...

What I am concerned about and as a former government official I've seen it happen countless of times, it that by waiting until the last minute, there is the very real possibility that you will bring more problems and issues on yourself that if you just stopped what you were doing and take the very small amount of time to make things happen now...

In both of your cases, there is a real possibility that you would be spending a lot more of your what seems to be very finite time trying to get what you need to get done if you wait to do it than if you do it now. I'm just trying to gently make you aware of that.

If you feel you want to wait and run the risk that everything will blow up in your face, by all means do it... it's your life and your issues...

Best of luck...

Ok, Zyggy... this is the last thing I'm going to say about this. And quite honestly, although I appreciate all of the advice you've provided to me and others here, not even my parents would be on me like you've been, as they know that if I say I'm going to do something, I do it.

If it were as easy as giving the kids to Dad, I'd be thrilled to do so. However, Dad works 7:30am to 5:30pm, eats dinner, helps with the kids until bedtime, and then goes back to work until our bedtime, or his if he's working late. Not just Monday through Friday, but even on the weekend. What's more, I cannot just pass the kids over to Dad even when he has time, as my youngest is a very high needs infant... something else that takes up quite a bit of my time.

For me to go get pictures taken, I have to go when neither of my kids is napping, the youngest of which naps during mid-morning and mid-afternoon, and the oldest who naps in the afternoon as well (just not, unfortunately, at the same time as the youngest). So finding time after breakfast, then between getting the kids ready for the day, naptimes, lunchtimes, second naptimes, grocery store runs, playtime, getting dinner ready, bedtime, and everything in between, is much easier said than done.

The form is done, and has been done, for months, quite honestly. Even the copies of my PR card, drivers license and passport are done. But when you're juggling what I'm juggling right now, finding an opportunity to actually file them is not so easy.

That is NOT to say that it is not high on my priority list. Again, just not this second.

Sorry if this is coming off as harsh, I really don't mean it to be. But I'm kinda feeling backed into a wall here as every time I post about something (that has nothing to do with this Canadian citizenship issue OR filing for my kids' records of birth), you've asked if I've done it yet. In fact, I'm beginning to feel a little leery about posting anything here at all for risk of having to face the inquisition again. :lol:

Edited by zyggy

Timeline

Laura...

I have no doubt that you will get first thing done... I do have doubts if you will be able to do the second if you wait...

As a former government official, I have seen countless episodes of well meaning people who have every intention to get things done as you state only to find what they intended can't be done when they want it, resulting in countless plans go awry because of essentially procrastination...

By waiting, you are jeopardizing being able to get and do the things that you want when you want to. If you do things in the near future, you still have a good possibility of getting what you want without having to panic later if things do go wrong...

By waiting, your run the risk of spending a lot more time and energy and grief than if you just stop, take a breath, and get it done... You have some real deadlines that you're facing. Each day that you wait to do these before your deadline increases the chances that you'll not be able to do what you want... either when you want it to or at all...

The bureaucracy does not care about the fact that you have kids to take care of, a move to make, or a citizenship to gain before you leave... they only care about their process...

You have to make the decision if it's worth it to you to get these things done with the least amount of trouble by getting it out of the way now... or if you want to wait and have the very real possibility of it blowing up in your face and you having to pick up the pieces...

The choice is yours... I'm just trying to gently nudge you and alerting you to the risks that are there... If you don't like the fact that I'm alerting you of these risks and pitfalls.. so be it... I've said my peace...

Best of luck to you...

• 2 months later...
Please read the following link first if you are interested in DCF in Canada:

http://www.amcits.com/immigration.asp

The USC must be legally resident in Canada, possibly for as much as one year.

The USC may file I-130 to any Consulate in Canada except Quebec City.

The I-130 is typically approved on the spot and the file sent to Montreal.

Montreal is the only Immigrant Visa post in Canada and the visa application MUST go through them.

There is no estimated timeline yet; there are two VJ users currently in this process (calgal1125 thru VAN and

Just wanted to add to this great sticky that I was able to file DCF in Canada with only 3 weeks actual residency. I did have to show my shiny new PR card and Social Insurance card.

Married 12-30-05

Started our visa journey Jan 06.

01-06 - I-130, K3 shortly after

04-06 - switched to Canada Immigration

07-06 - Moved to Canada (PR almost complete)

07-06 - Changed again, back to US imm.

09-06 - Landed as Canadian PR

10-06 - DCF Toronto, Approved in 1.5 hrs!

11-06 - Interview Montreal (success!)

I-130

10-05-06 DCF in Toronto - Approved

10-19-06 Packet 3 received & sent back

10-20-06 Montreal receives P3

11-03-06 Packet 4 received

11-06-06 Medical

11-22-06 Interview / Visa approved

11-26-06 heading home, 6 day drive, my oh my

HOME SWEET HOME

10.24.08 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

Delivered at 9:03 AM on October 25, 2008

10.29.08 NOA1

10.30.08 Check cashed

12.06.08 Biometrics Appt.

12.19.08 Received new Drivers License extended to 2011

03.12.09 Received CONGRATULATIONS letter - Card on the way!!

03.20.09 Received his SHINY new card. WOO HOOOOOOO

YAY!! We can take a break from this madness until Citizenship.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Please read the following link first if you are interested in DCF in Canada:

http://www.amcits.com/immigration.asp

The USC must be legally resident in Canada, possibly for as much as one year.

The USC may file I-130 to any Consulate in Canada except Quebec City.

The I-130 is typically approved on the spot and the file sent to Montreal.

Montreal is the only Immigrant Visa post in Canada and the visa application MUST go through them.

There is no estimated timeline yet; there are two VJ users currently in this process (calgal1125 thru VAN and

Just wanted to add to this great sticky that I was able to file DCF in Canada with only 3 weeks actual residency. I did have to show my shiny new PR card and Social Insurance card.

Were you living in Canada before you had PR? I'm not very familiar with the ways to get that status in Canada... several people have been asking about their ability to file in Canada if they've been living there on other visa types etc

anything you can add would be great!

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.