srg3037

Issue if name on K1 Petition is slight different than on birth certificate?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone,

K1 petition was approved, we have our case # and are in the process of getting ready to schedule an interview. My fiance has a minor child and the name she gave me to list on the K1 petition is slightly different then what is on her birth certificate. For example I listed her name on the petition as:

Mary (first) Faith (middle) Jones (last)

but on her birth certificate it is listed as

Mary Faith (first) Smith (middle) Jones (last)

Smith is the mother's last name and Jones is the father's last name. The minor is illegitimate as my fiance and the father were not married at any point. She is the sole caretaker of her daughter.

The reason I discovered the name issue is we are in the process of applying for the child's passport. I'm guessing the name on the passport will have to match with what is on the birth certificate.

So the questions is if the K1/K2 petition states her name as Mary Faith Jones but her passport states Mary Faith Smith Jones will we have any issues? If so, how to resolve. Or is a simple explanation all that is needed.

Thank you all for any insight.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I dont think so if she is willing to go from now on by the name on marriage certificate. That is an official legal name change document and you can call yourself what you want on there. Just make sure she includes the name as is on her birth certificate where they ask for previous names used. Good Luck.

Pkg Sent:9/13/16

Received at Chicago Lock box: 9/16/16

Received Texts: 9/30/16

NOA1 Received: 10/4/16 : Receipt Date of 9/19/16

Bio Appt letter Received: 10/12/16

Bio Appt completed: 10/24/16

Card in production: 11/17/16

Combo Card received 11/25/16

I would do a search on here and see if you can find anything. One of my friends had the same issue, but I can't find the post (sometime between August and November). It might be under June fillers. If you can't find the answer, I would call US Embassy Manila and ask them what you should do because you may be able to just fix it on your DS-160 and call it a day, but I cannot guarantee it.

However, first and foremost you should contact the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) and see if they will need to change the child's birth certificate because the Philippines are rather specific on how they report names on birth certificates.

If no luck there. You may also, need to call USCIS and do a name change to your petition.

Good luck. You are in a difficult position and have a lot of work ahead of you.

Adjustment of Status Journey

Spoiler

Sent I-485: December 20, 2016

USCIS delivered: December 23, 2016

USCIS received: December 27, 2016

I-765 Notice Date: January 12, 2017

I-131 Notice Date: January 12, 2017

I-485 Notice Date: January 12, 2017

Biometrics Date: February 10, 2017

I-765 Approved: March 30, 2017 (93 days)

I-131 Approved: March 30, 2017 (93 days)

I-485 Approved: June 6, 2017 (161 days)

Removal of Conditions Journey

Spoiler

Sent I-751: May 6, 2019

USCIS delivered: May 9, 2019

USCIS received: May 9, 2019

I-751 Notice Date: May 14, 2019

I-751 received Date: May 17, 2019

Biometrics received Date: June 8, 2019

Biometrics Date: June 20, 2019

Transfer to PSC Date: February 20, 2020

RFI received Date: October 20, 2020

RFI submitted to USCIS Date: January 14, 2021

ADIT Stamp received: March 3, 2021

ADIT Stamp received: March 24, 2021

I-751/N-400 Combo Interview Scheduled: April 7, 2022

I-751 Approved: April 7, 2022 (1064 days)

Citizenship Journey

Spoiler

N-400 Submitted Online: March 05, 2021

USCIS received: March 05, 2021

N-400 Notice Date: March 05, 2021

I-751/N-400 Combo Interview Scheduled: April 7, 2022

N-400 Approved: April 7, 2022 (398 days)

Oath Ceremony: April 7, 2022 (398 days)

Certificate of Naturalization Issued: April 7, 2022 (398 days)

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone,

K1 petition was approved, we have our case # and are in the process of getting ready to schedule an interview. My fiance has a minor child and the name she gave me to list on the K1 petition is slightly different then what is on her birth certificate. For example I listed her name on the petition as:

Mary (first) Faith (middle) Jones (last)

but on her birth certificate it is listed as

Mary Faith (first) Smith (middle) Jones (last)

Smith is the mother's last name and Jones is the father's last name. The minor is illegitimate as my fiance and the father were not married at any point. She is the sole caretaker of her daughter.

The reason I discovered the name issue is we are in the process of applying for the child's passport. I'm guessing the name on the passport will have to match with what is on the birth certificate.

So the questions is if the K1/K2 petition states her name as Mary Faith Jones but her passport states Mary Faith Smith Jones will we have any issues? If so, how to resolve. Or is a simple explanation all that is needed.

Thank you all for any insight.

Name for the child, a batang babae, is the one that was entered incorrectly on the I-129F compared to the actually name on the BC? This is not a BC name change issue (unless DFA says something) only a typo ;) on the I-129F

DFA has not given your fiancee any issues with the name (being she was never married) ? That has happened a few times... so be prepared.

As for the embassy I doubt they will give issue, they may ask but doubt they will not accept the :oops: . This is not the first time for a typo on the I-129F.

When completing the profile and DS-160 for child make sure to use the correct name.

This link may be helpful in the process (there are also links for SLEC and CFO) http://visaconnection-philippines.com/index.php/2-visa-process/3-usem-k-1-visa

Visa chase and citizenship.. DONE!

For helpful information  gif animation     CLICK HERE!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.