Jump to content

Traveling with expired green card and one year extension letter?

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Me and my spouse want to go visit my family in Brazil, we will try to go on January or February for 3 weeks, but my green card expires in february and so does my ID.

My question: Is it safe to travel internationally with an almost expired or expired green card and ID if you have the one year extension letter with you?

Should I at least get my new ID before we go?

What we are scared of is:

What if they send us an interview letter while we are out? or a Request for evidence? (Even tho I don't think they would cause we did a good job with package and had interview for the conditional GC.)

* We were waiting to receive my 10 year green card before going, but it seems like it will take longer than we expected. *

Even with Trump assuming in January, Is there no risks of traveling internationally and coming back with expired GC?!

Thank you in advance!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a great many relevant threads that discuss most of your concerns.

Thread is moved from the Removing Conditions forum to the Working & Traveling forum.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are my two cents:

Yes it is safe to travel with an expired green card and the extension letter.

Yes you should get a new ID before going. Keep in mind that some states have restrictions on license renewals for people with expired or soon to expire greencards, so I'd recommend renewing that sooner rather than later. You can do a little digging in the forums here for info from your state.

Regarding letters from USCIS while you are away, I would make sure you have someone checking your mail so they can let you if anything comes. That way you will know if you need to return home sooner than planned.

As for the Trump Administration being in control when you return, I don't think you have to worry about that.

Good luck and have fun in Brasil!

Edited by SM & EF

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.