SemperAye

New US Citizen Filipina Visiting Home - How does the Stamp/Visa work?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

No, hank I won't have to leave because I'm getting a student visa. The only issue was her stamp on her US passport is going to read expired balikbayan because she didn't enter the Philippines with a valid non expired Filipino passport and us passport. This is why I was saying she would have to leave once she gets her new Filipino passport, and they re-enter, or possibly they take care of that process when applying for Dual citizenship...?this was my original question.

Well that is way cool!! Ends all the issues. Follow the link I gave you earlier, your wife can then complete dual citizenship and all will move along smoothly. No I don't see why she would have to leave and re-enter... she is a CITIZEN (or will be ... again)

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

A better title for this question/topic should be:

"Former PI citizen/new US citizen enters PI using US Passport. After reacquiring PI citizenship, how does one upgrade the balikbayan visa? And will this cause issues traveling back to America using the US passport?"

03/12/2010 - I-129F Mailed to Vermont

04/15/2010 - NOA1

03/18/2010 - Touched

06/02/2010 - Email Received "Approved"! (that was fast)

Timeline

A better title for this question/topic should be:

"Former PI citizen/new US citizen enters PI using US Passport. After reacquiring PI citizenship, how does one upgrade the balikbayan visa? And will this cause issues traveling back to America using the US passport?"

Follow the link I gave you

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Well that is way cool!! Ends all the issues. Follow the link I gave you earlier, your wife can then complete dual citizenship and all will move along smoothly. No I don't see why she would have to leave and re-enter... she is a CITIZEN (or will be ... again)

So she just shows both passports upon departure back into America so that she is not charged for overstaying the original balikbayan visa?

04/15/2010 - NOA1

03/18/2010 - Touched

That sounds easier, I'll try that. If we do that, I understand she just shows her Philippines passport and enters in the Filipino line at the airport along with me, but we still fly to PI using the US passport?

I really don't think it matters which line you stand in. Before my wife was a U.S. citizen and had a U.S. passport, we both went through the shorter foreigner's line together. Just pick the shortest line.

She'll probably have to use her U.S. passport to board a flight to the U.S. If it were me, I would have both passports stamped.

Timeline

Follow the link I gave you

This one? http://www.cfo.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1362%3Adual-citizenship&catid=145%3Aintegration-and-reintegration&Itemid=833

It didn't say anything about over staying the original balikbayan visa on the US passport, but according to the link I posted previously if she shows both passports and her dual certificate upon departure, she will not have issues leaving or paying for overstaying. Maybe that certificate is what they use instead of re-stamping the us passport upon getting dual citizenship.

04/15/2010 - NOA1

03/18/2010 - Touched

This one? http://www.cfo.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1362%3Adual-citizenship&catid=145%3Aintegration-and-reintegration&Itemid=833

It didn't say anything about over staying the original balikbayan visa on the US passport, but according to the link I posted previously if she shows both passports and her dual certificate upon departure, she will not have issues leaving or paying for overstaying. Maybe that certificate is what they use instead of re-stamping the us passport upon getting dual citizenship.

Her Philippines passport is proof that she's a Philippines citizen

Timeline

So she just shows both passports upon departure back into America so that she is not charged for overstaying the original balikbayan visa?

There is no over stay for a Philippine citizen... :thumbs:

Last time my wife and I flew back she only had her Philippine passport, she had to pay travel tax, this next trip she will leave using her U.S. passport.

When you wife and you fly back to the USA in three years, don't worry about it, using the Philippines passport to exit will result in travel tax, using the U.S. passport may result in an exit fee also if the stay is over a year. BTW Travel Tax is all of $35.... nothing to get excited about.

Yes, scroll down some, the info is there ... a place to start.

My wife will be doing that this fall.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

That link isn't about over staying... it is about DUAL CITIZENSHIP... citizens can't over stay in their own country........

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

That link isn't about over staying... it is about DUAL CITIZENSHIP... citizens can't over stay in their own country........

So in that case, I take it she shows her new PI passport (and possibly the dual certificate) along with her US passport (that had the original balikbayan 1 year stamp on it) upon departure back to America and she will not be charged for overstaying.

04/15/2010 - NOA1

03/18/2010 - Touched

Timeline

So in that case, I take it she shows her new PI passport (and possibly the dual certificate) along with her US passport (that had the original balikbayan 1 year stamp on it) upon departure back to America and she will not be charged for overstaying.

Well it isn't a dual citizenship certificate... :lol: But... ya... that is sort of it. the balikbayan stamp is ... moot.... citizens don't need it. ;) Citizens can't over stay. Once your wife re-affirms she can stay in the Philippines FOREVER and she can stay in the USA... welllll..... FOREVER at her whim... ;)

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Well it isn't a dual citizenship certificate... :lol: But... ya... that is sort of it. the balikbayan stamp is ... moot.... citizens don't need it. ;) Citizens can't over stay. Once your wife re-affirms she can stay in the Philippines FOREVER and she can stay in the USA... welllll..... FOREVER at her whim... ;)

Ok thanx Hank....I just was worrying that the stamps were bible or something that had to be changed or else we would run into issues :)

04/15/2010 - NOA1

03/18/2010 - Touched

If she gets both passports stamped upon entering the Philippines, then she has no worries about overstaying or paying the travel tax. It's that easy.

Timeline

Ok thanx Hank....I just was worrying that the stamps were bible or something that had to be changed or else we would run into issues :)

When your wife exits the Philippines in 3 years, she cam use her Philippine passport... pay her travel tax of $35... and enjoy the flight home with you. ;)

If she gets both passports stamped upon entering the Philippines, then she has no worries about overstaying or paying the travel tax. It's that easy.

Most times I would agree, but they are staying 3 years

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

When your wife exits the Philippines in 3 years, she cam use her Philippine passport... pay her travel tax of $35... and enjoy the flight home with you. ;)

Most times I would agree, but they are staying 3 years

Wait a minute Hank you just opened up another can of worms lmao... how on earth can she re-enter the United States using her Philippine passport? Doesn't she have to use her US passport to be let back in to the US, I thought this was law? Are you saying that when we go back home we should enter her Philippine passport number for the tickets and show only her Philippine passport? I can picture the American officer asking for a US Visa...

Also, is there some type of benefit to using a PI passport upon exit over a US passport? Damn there is so much to all of this...after I figure this all out I'm going to make a YouTube Video about it.

Edited by SemperAye

04/15/2010 - NOA1

03/18/2010 - Touched

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.