laurainr

Affidavit of Support (quick question)?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello everyone,

My fiance has his interview scheduled at the consulate in Mexico. He's on his way to living here, finally. I am finishing up college, so I do not have income. However, my parents' income is enough to meet the 125% above poverty line. They have offered to be co-sponsors for him (for 6 months+).

I have a couple questions.

1. Do I need to fill out my own i-134 even though I am broke? (I'm a dependent still under them)

2. My dad's income is the best, and we could use his alone. However, can each of my parents fill out the form to show that (combined) we make well over the poverty line?

3. With that said, will they accept if I turn in 3 separate i-134 forms? Or should I combine my parents, or how do I do this?

It would be easiest to get approved if they could just see that my parents' combined income is more than enough.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I had to use my parents as well as a cosponsor and we only used my step-father's income since he makes enough on his own. The lawyer I am using informed me that they only accept one cosponsor. You will have to fill out the papers as well for yourself. Does your father make enough on his own to cover the 125% over poverty level?

However, I cannot say for certain that this will be enough since I'm waiting on my interview date for my husband. I only hope that it is enough in my case as well. I'm also my parents dependent and from the same area so I hope this works for both of us.

Timeline

HolliA,

Thanks for your response. I greatly appreciate the people on Visa Journey. I am doing all of this on my own. I would love to have a lawyer's help, but since I am broke, I'm relying on my good organization and research skills from college to make this work. It's been one hell of a stress ball so far.

My father does make enough on his own. It probably isn't a lot more than the 125% line, but my mother seems sure that it will work. I just thought it would be so much easier if they saw that both my parents share the income. I'm not sure if there's any way to show that or not.

Timeline

No problem. Wish I could help more. We finally decided to use a lawyer because we have been working on getting my husband here for about three years, at first through a K-1 and now through an I-130. If your parents file jointly, I think there is a part on the paperwork that asks for the total household income so that would probably be where you could show their combined income.

I understand this being stressful. I'm currently trying desperately to get my husband here before the end of September since I'm due to give birth to our first child then. Just hope and pray it will all work and make sure to have your ducks in a row, that's all I can really offer.

Timeline

Aw well hang in there and also congrats! We have to stay optimistic, or else we'll go insane lol. I just hope they don't reject us because I make absolutely nothing. I'm taking 6 classes, so there's no time to work. I could provide proof of my enrollment, maybe that would help. This paperwork is actually like a part time job on top of school.

And is it possible for my parents to file jointly as a co-sponsor?

Timeline

Yes, staying positive is best. I'm not sure about them filing jointly, but my case is different obviously. Perhaps for a K-1 they can. Best to look at the guides on here and hopefully someone with more expertise and information will be able to answer that question for you. Having a letter that explains that you are a full time student and as such do not work and are the dependent of your parents would never hurt anything. It's just extra evidence and helps cover all your bases.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.