Christi85

Travelling internationally with an expired passport?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

I got a question. Were you able to leave the US and enter greece? I have the same problem, my daughters Romanian Passport is expired and we are trying to go to romania. She has a green card. We were ablr to do that 2 years ago on accident. We didnt know her passport was expired and we made it to romania without a problem, but when we tried to leave romania they didnt let us until she renewed her passport. Whe made an emergency passport thats only good for one year. Now its expired and we want to go back this summer and visit and make her a new passport there because here it cost $600 and there its only like $50.We made it without a problem last time, but people are telling me it was by mistake because no one noticed it, but I dont believe that because they see its expired when they scan it. I dont think America cares when you leave, I think they care when you return. SO were you able to leave with your expired greek passport?

Hi,

It didn't end up being an issue in the end. I went through the process of renewing my passport with the Greek Consulate in Los Angeles and kept my fingers tightly crossed the whole time. I called twice in the weeks before my appointment to ask if any earlier dates had freed up and they hadn't. So I kept my original appointment in mid-May and hoped for the best. It turns out the 8-week timeline they give was because they only receive mail every 3-4 weeks, and they don't even know when exactly they are going to receive the next batch, which means, if something happens and they don't receive it when they're supposed to, it turns up with the next batch which is 3-4 weeks later :o . So anyway, long story short, I applied for a new passport at my Consulate on May 15, and on June 25 (almost 6 weeks later and after I had followed up a few times in between to no avail), I got the call that my new passport had finally arrived :)

So luckily I didn't have to go through the stress of traveling with an expired passport. And learned my lesson - next time I will apply for renewal 6 months in advance to be certain :P

Ouch, $600 vs. $50 is a huge difference. Any idea why it may be so? The fees I had to pay were the exact same as if I had done it over in Greece, only here I had to pay the dollar equivalent. I would normally recommend that you don't go through the stress of traveling with an expired passport if you can help it, and that you get your daughter a new one, but the difference in fees is quite stark, so I understand where you're coming from. Any way you could apply directly to Romania from the US? Like you said and like others have said, it's not as much leaving the country as it is re-entering (though unfortunately, there's no guarantee that they may not try to stop you from boarding the plane), so if you decide to go down that route, keep your fingers crossed that nobody will care and be sure to have enough time in Romania to renew and return to the States with a valid passport.

Another route you could explore would be to obtain your daughter a "laissez-passer" document from your local Consulate(the document that's instead of a passport and allows you to travel to your country of citizenship), see if your Consulate would be open to accommodating that request. It's supposed to be an emergency document though. I asked my Consulate about it and they frowned and said they don't give it that easily and that it's supposed to be for emergency travel only, and in my case they advised I just sit patiently and wait for my new passport and hope it arrives before my trip (which, luckily, it did).

My CR1 timeline (DCF London):
June 26, 2010 - civil wedding
Aug 2, 2010 - I-130 package mailed to the London Consulate (DCF)
Aug 9, 2010 - NOA1 (confirmation of receipt) via email
Sep 4, 2010 - religious wedding
Oct 21, 2010 - NOA2
Nov 25, 2010 - Case number received in the mail
Nov 29, 2010 - Medical
Dec 1, 2010 - DS-230I & DS-2001 forms mailed back
Feb 1, 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!!!
Feb 7, 2011 - Passport with Visa received via courier
June 7, 2011 - POE Los Angeles (LAX)
June 18, 2011 - 2-Year Green card received in the mail!!!

My ROC journey:
April 2, 2013 - I-751 package mailed to California Service Center

April 3, 2013 - NOA1 date
April 8, 2013 - check cleared
May 6, 2013 - Biometrics completed

July 25, 2013 - 10 year green card APPROVED!! (notification via text and email, and website updated)

July 29, 2013 - ROC approval letter received in the mail

July 31, 2013 - 10 year green card received in the mail!!!

My N-400 journey:

March 19, 2014 - N-400 package mailed to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

March 24, 2014 - NOA1 date and Priority Date

March 27, 2014 - Check cleared

April 21, 2014 - Biometrics done

May 7, 2014 - In line for interview

June 23, 2014 - Scheduled for interview

July 28, 2014 - Interview - PASSED!!

July 30, 2014 - In line for oath

July 31, 2014 - Scheduled for oath

Aug 2, 2014 - Oath letter received

Aug 27, 2014 - Oath ceremony, I am a US citizen!!!

Sep 11, 2014 - US passport received

• 4 years later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread from 2012 is now closed to further comment.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.