maim3

Sputum Smear Result.. Negative!

63 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Waiting on the result of my fiancee's sputum smear test today. I am sure it will be negative, and confident that her 2 month sputum culture test results will be negative, too.

I was curious about how accurate the smear test is. In other words, if it comes up negative, how accurately does it predict a negative sputum culture test (no TB)? If if the smear test is positive, how accurately does that predict a positive culture test (TB)?

Well, I found one set of answers here from just one study smear test accuracy

It turns out that the smear test is very good at prediction when the smear is positive. A positive smear turns into a positive culture in about 96% of cases (at least in that study). Positive smear = you almost certainly have TB.

The smear test is pretty good (but not very good) at prediction when the smear is negative. In that study a negative smear correctly predicted a negative culture test result 84% of the time. If you have a negative smear, you likely don't have TB. But it is a possibility, of course. This chance of you actually having TB even though your smear test is negative depends on many factors. For example, do you have the symptoms of active TB (persistent cough, night sweats, fatigue, etc.)? If you do have TB symptoms and your smear is negative, then the possibility that your culture will turn up positive is higher than someone who does not have TB symptoms.

By the way, positive culture results usually show up in the first 30 days or less. Every day you don't receive a call after 30 days increases the likelihood that you don't have TB. Bottom line, go with the flow. If you have TB, you will be cured after 6 months of treatment. That is good, right? TB can kill you if it isn't treated. If you don't have TB, you will soon be on a plane to the USA. http://static-forums.visajourney.com/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I am a bit anxious about my result.. They didnt tell me by phone.. They just toldme to report and bring the receipt and passport.. I have faith it's negative..

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I read this topic from start to the last reply, same as what you have experienced, I too, experiencing this 2 months waiting now, i feel very happy when i got negative result on my sputum smear test. But I think this 8 weeks waiting is the longest waiting on my entire life, wishing and hoping for the negative result of that culture.

Timeline

Good luck. SLEC called us 3 weeks after negative sputum and now fiancée started 6 months of Direct Treatment Observation (DTO). SLEC watches them take a tablet Monday through Friday, no holidays.

Sputum culture 2 month test is about 85% accurate. 15% of positive sputum is false positive.

Chances are that if you have to do sputum then you are going to have to do the treatment so you can become a success statistic for the World Health Organization and the Center for Disease Control TB Elimination Program so another person with no symptoms is "cured"

You might want to consider consulting a physician now about starting the tablet now to possibly save yourself some waiting time later.

Approximately 1 in 385 Philippine citizens have TB. Whether it's active with cough or latent doesn't matter. SLEC will quarantine to the country.

Edited by LuckyTwo14

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would not suggest taking the medications for TB from an outside doctor, there is no benefit to that. SLEC will rely on their tests and they will administer and control the DOT process.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Thanks Hank, that is what I suspected as well. Perhaps completing the TB treatment early in the relationship and before the visa medical appointment is something SLEC would consider as long as it was well documented.

Our presumption was just that all was clear so didn't even think it was a problem, especially with clear skin test and clear X-ray a year prior as it was required of her job.

Oh well, it is what it is ... the process.

• 1 month later...

Hi vj peeps,

This coming wednesday is my 8th week of waiting for my sputum culture, and was asked to call next week for the result, no calls receive from 3 to 7th weeks and thats made me happy and feel confident that test is Negative, but yeh, there is still a little worried coz 2 months is not done yet, and if i call still no exact result via phone. Do you think this long weeks wait, my result can be Negative. I really cant wait to get this medical clear. I really cant wait to be with him Do you think Is it ok if i call on wednesday that exact 8 week, my schedule to call st. Lukes is on monday next week.

Hoping and praying for a negative result.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you wait the full 8 weeks most times the result is negative. When you get a call from SLEC before the 8 weeks is up would be bad..

Everyone should hope to not hear from SLEC until the end of the test :thumbs:

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Since i cant wait to call st. Lukes, (scheduled aug.4), i tried to call them today. Luckily i was able to talk to a lady, i asked her if the result is ready, she said yes, asking me to bring passport, receipt, 2x2 pics and the letter and go to the clinic on Aug. 5. I asked her if its for iimmunization already and she told me, they are not allowed to give the result :( I really wanted to know coz i have a daughter (K2) and she still have one pending vaccine to get. Do you think my result is good to go and NEGATIVE. Now i get anxious again, and need to wait 4 days to get to st. Lukes. God please give me a negative result. I keep praying and hoping for this.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

No need to worry, if they asked you to bring passport, photos and receipt, definitely the result is negative as those requirements are needed to finalize your medical papers which are to be sent to USEM.

Good luck on your interview. :)

TIMELINE:

I-129F Petition

Jan 07, 2014 > I-129F sent

Jan 09, 2014 > USCIS Received

Jan 13, 2014 > NOA1 Email : Route to CSC

Jan 15, 2014 > Email from USCIS : Alien Registration Number Changed

Jan 18, 2014 > NOA1 Hard Copy Received

Mar 14, 2014 > NOA2 Email - APPROVED!

Mar 21, 2014 > NOA2 Hard Copy Received

Mar 25, 2014 > Got Case Number by calling NVC (off-peak hours)

Mar 28, 2014 > Approved Petition sent to US Embassy Manila

Mar 31, 2014 > Embassy Received

Apr 04, 2014 > Hard Copy from DoS indicating Case Number and petition details received

Apr 28, 2014 > Medical ExamMay 7-9,2014 > AFB smear tests :(

Jul 4 , 2014 > Sputum Culture NEGATIVE!

K1 Visa

Jul 23, 2014 > Interview : APPROVED! :)

Jul 24-27, 2014 > CEAC status change from IV Ready to NIV Ready

Jul 28, 2014 > CEAC updated from NIV Ready to NIV Administrative Processing

Aug 4, 2014 > CEAC status "ISSUED"! yaaay! :)

Aug 8, 2014 > Visa Received

US Entry/Marriage

Sep 10, 2014 > Seattle : port of entry / Anchorage : destination

Sep 16, 2014 > Applied for Marriage License : LA County

Sep 17, 2014 > Wedding : Norwalk, LA County CA not yet allowed in AK (Oct 13, 2014 : SSM approved in AK)

AOS/EAD/AP

Oct 15, 2014 > Sent I-485 AOS with I-765 and I-131 through USPS Priority Mail Express

Oct 17, 2014 > Receipt Notice Signed for by J C

Oct 21, 2014 > NOA1 (Text/Email)

Oct 22, 2014 > Check Cashed

Oct 24, 2014 > NOA1 Hard Copy

Oct 29, 2014 > Biometrics Appointment Letter Received (Nov 10, 2014 ASC Appointment)

Nov 3, 2014 > Early Biometrics permitted

Nov 26, 2014 > Received USCIS Notice for interview scheduled on Dec 24 @ Local Cis office

Dec 24, 2014 > AOS Interview Approved : Received i-551 stamp

[EAD/AP update: card production in the afternoon]

Dec 31, 2014 > i-485 update: Card was mailed... no tracking yet

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.