vacrimefighter

Commission on Filipinos Overseas (CFO) Manila

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Since everyone has a different experience in the K-1/K-2 VISA process, I thought I would share our experience with the process.

Fiancee and daughter attended the seminar at St. Mary Euphrasia Foundation (SMEF) - Center for Overseas Workers.

I arrived 30 minutes early to register, and the entire process took about 2-hours. The first part was the Introduction which was delivered by counselor # 1. She was friendly, humorous and she was quite entertaining. She talked about the what, how and why of the seminar. She mentioned that the seminar was government-initiated. She touched a little about pre-departure and departure airport tips to remember. She also shared some experiences of other immigrants. She also touched the subject of domestic violence.

The next part was the Group Process. This time we were separated according to the country of our destination. Counselor 2# assigned to the USA group was a nice young lady. She spoke authoritatively and some of what she shared were helpful. The participants were also given the chance to ask questions.

After the group process, the counselor 3# told us that we will have our individual counselling. She asked us to fill out our forms again correctly and to step out of the room and wait to be called for our counselling. She just asked me how me and my fiance met, all our meetings, when, where and for how long, details on the wedding. She also asked questions about my fiance family, that also included knowing his mother maiden name and she wanted a to see a copy of his divorce papers. She also reviewed and prepared me for the Visa interview process.

I received a CFO certificate and will have to return to receive my CFO sticker.

SMEF-COW Manila Office

http://www.smef-cow-phil.org/

Good Shepherd Convent

1043 Aurora Blvd., Quezon City

Telephone: (+632) 913-6439

Fax: (+632) 913-6438

E-mail: ofw@edsamail.com.ph

Counseling Requirements for Filipino spouses and Other Partners of Foreign Nationals

Two (2) valid identification cards with photograph

Duly accomplished guidance and counseling form

Other documents as may be required by the counselors

Birth Certificate NSO Paper (and a copy)

Marriage Certificate NSO Paper (and a copy)

Pictures together

A copy of his Divorce Decree

Orig and a copy of passport

Edited by vacrimefighter

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for sharing your information. It was enlightening and helpful.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

You were lucky.

My wife went to St. Mary's in Cebu and it was a huge hassle. The nuns made a concerted effort to discourage all of the candidates from marrying foreigners. My wife was picked out for special scorn since I have been divorced a couple of times. They gave her the run around where she had to call me and get this info, then that info, all the way back to the internet cafe 3 or 4 times for copies, and new information.

They caused her to have to stay the night in Cebu and all the extra expenses that entails just to satisfy their own biases. The next morning she just wizzed right through. Different nun? I don't know, but it made zero sense to me.

This was especially irritating since we were already married. The horse had already left the barn, so convincing her not to marry me was a moot point.

It was related to me of another case where the fiance had gotten so mad at the nun for the run around that he had his fiancee put the nun on the phone and he chewed her #### out royally, but in the end the fiancee was denied and the guys wife never saw the filipina again. So I guess you have to suck it up and keep your mouth shut, but if I had to do it all over again I would go through PRISM in Manila.

There is a growing group who believe you shouldn't use St. Mary's in Cebu at all, and if you're in Manila and have a choice then PRISM is the best choice but it sounds like SM's wasn't too bad in Manila. But if you have a choice why not take the path of least resistance?

Edited by easyriders2011

Our time line:

-----------

11-2-09 Met for the first time

11-3-09 Went to dinner to celebrate my birthday

11-18-09 Officially became bf/gf.

11-22-09 Went back to the States

1-1-10 Talked to her father on the phone queried about my intentions. Told him I intended to marry her.

10-8-10 2nd Trip back to Philippines

10-10-10 Proposed to her ... She said YES!

10-16-10 Meet her parents and family in the province for the first time

10-25-10 Returned to States

11-2010 Started her annulment process

1-4-11 Free to marry within the country

2-8-11 3rd trip to Philippines

2-10-11 Annulment process complete (can file for US visas now)

4-27-11 Got Married

5-30-11 Finally received marriage contract from priest

6-4-11 Discovered we needed to get an electronic endorsement of our marriage contract submitted

6-22-11 Finally got updated CENOMAR to show annulment of previous marriage

7-29-11 Finally had to say good bye and leave the Philippines after 6 months

8-18-11 Submitted CR-1 pkg to visa service agency

9-9-11 After a thorough review and obtaining additional docs, finally mailed our pkg to USCIS.

9-12-11 NOA1 received

3-14-12 USCIS approved our I-130

3-17-12 NOA2 received

NVC:

3-19-12 Package acknowledged by NVC.

4-3-12 NVC enters our package into their system and generates our case#

4-4-12 AOS pmt made

Manila Embassy

4-9-12 Petition US Embassy Manila to expedite since I will be in country

5-23-12 Interview at US Embassy - approved

5-31-12 Visa in Hand

6-6-12 Len Arrives!!!!! in the US via Chicago to Houston

Timeline

Interesting, because she attended the seminar yesterday in Manila. She did not have the same experience you did. They were very helpful and prepared her for her interview Monday.

Nice we all share our stories to prepare other couples as they got through the process..

Timeline

Interesting, because she attended the seminar yesterday in Manila. She did not have the same experience you did. They were very helpful and prepared her for her interview Monday.

Nice we all share our stories to prepare other couples as they got through the process..

Easy Riders experience was in Cebu, not Manila. He was saying to avoid Cebu at all costs and go to the PRISM in Manila instead.

USCIS

28 JUL 11 SENT I129F PACKAGE

04 AUG 11 NOA 1 RECEIVED

05 AUG 11 NOA 1 NOTICE DATE

07 AUG 11 CHECK CASHED $340 *OUCH*

14 AUG 11 RECEIVED RETURN RECEIPT FROM USPS

09 DEC 11 RECEIVED NOA 2

19 DEC 11 LETTER FROM NVC STATING THE PETITION WILL BE FORWARDED TO MANILA

127 DAYS BETWEEN NOA 1 & NOA 2.

MANILA EMBASSY

13 JAN 12 RECEIVED PACKET 3 SINGLE LETTER (QUENNY)

27 JAN 12 RECEIVED PACKET 3 COPY TO ME HERE IN STATES

29 JAN 12 SENT MONEY $350 FOR VISA APPLICATION

30 JAN 12 MADE VISA APPOINTMENT

06 FEB 12 SENT PAPERS FOR VISA INTERVIEW (4.2lbs Through DHL, $140)

09 FEB 12 SENT MONEY FOR INTERVIEW & SEMINAR

13 FEB 12 MEDICAL PROCESS DAY 1

14 FEB 12 MEDICAL PROCESS DAY 2

05 MAR 12 VISA INTERVIEW AT MANILA, PHILIPPINES

Timeline

USCIS

28 JUL 11 SENT I129F PACKAGE

04 AUG 11 NOA 1 RECEIVED

05 AUG 11 NOA 1 NOTICE DATE

07 AUG 11 CHECK CASHED $340 *OUCH*

14 AUG 11 RECEIVED RETURN RECEIPT FROM USPS

09 DEC 11 RECEIVED NOA 2

19 DEC 11 LETTER FROM NVC STATING THE PETITION WILL BE FORWARDED TO MANILA

127 DAYS BETWEEN NOA 1 & NOA 2.

MANILA EMBASSY

13 JAN 12 RECEIVED PACKET 3 SINGLE LETTER (QUENNY)

27 JAN 12 RECEIVED PACKET 3 COPY TO ME HERE IN STATES

29 JAN 12 SENT MONEY $350 FOR VISA APPLICATION

30 JAN 12 MADE VISA APPOINTMENT

06 FEB 12 SENT PAPERS FOR VISA INTERVIEW (4.2lbs Through DHL, $140)

09 FEB 12 SENT MONEY FOR INTERVIEW & SEMINAR

13 FEB 12 MEDICAL PROCESS DAY 1

14 FEB 12 MEDICAL PROCESS DAY 2

05 MAR 12 VISA INTERVIEW AT MANILA, PHILIPPINES

• 3 months later...

Counseling Requirements for Filipino spouses and Other Partners of Foreign Nationals

Two (2) valid identification cards with photograph

Duly accomplished guidance and counseling form

Other documents as may be required by the counselors

Birth Certificate NSO Paper (and a copy)

Marriage Certificate NSO Paper (and a copy)

Pictures together

A copy of his Divorce Decree

Orig and a copy of passport

Can the Marriage Certificate be the one from the local civil registrar instead?

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Can the Marriage Certificate be the one from the local civil registrar instead?

CFO wants the NSO one. You need an NSO CEMAR/CENOMAR for the embassy, why order an extra copy or make copies.

Edited by Hank_Amy

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

CFO wants the NSO one. You need an NSO CEMAR/CENOMAR for the embassy, why order an extra copy or make copies.

Thanks!

Do you have to make an appointment with CFO? Or do I just show up?

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.

Audre Lorde

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks!

Do you have to make an appointment with CFO? Or do I just show up?

Show up. Check the link for locations and info

CFO:

ALL exiting required to attend.

http://www.cfo.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1348:fiancee-spouses-and-other-partners-of-foreign-nationals&catid=140#ThirdA

Required documents & "OTHER DOCUMENTS" they ask for at CFO: copies of; CENOMAR, certified birth certificate, bio page of passport, visa page from passport, pictures together, from USC - bio page of passport, birth certificate, divorce decree (if been married before) are the most common. The "other documents" clause can be ANYTHING with those nit-wits at CFO.

** From the Family Code of the Philippines: it's 21-25 years old for advice and 18-21 years old for consent.

Art. 14. In case either or both of the contracting parties, not having been emancipated by a previous marriage, are between the ages of eighteen and twenty-one, they shall, in addition to the requirements of the preceding articles, exhibit to the local civil registrar, the consent to their marriage of their father, mother, surviving parent or guardian, or persons having legal charge of them, in the order mentioned. Such consent shall be manifested in writing by the interested party, who personally appears before the proper local civil registrar, or in the form of an affidavit made in the presence of two witnesses and attested before any official authorized by law to administer oaths. The personal manifestation shall be recorded in both applications for marriage license, and the affidavit, if one is executed instead, shall be attached to said applications. (61a)

Art. 15. Any contracting party between the age of twenty-one and twenty-five shall be obliged to ask their parents or guardian for advice upon the intended marriage. If they do not obtain such advice, or if it be unfavorable, the marriage license shall not be issued till after three months following the completion of the publication of the application therefor.A sworn statement by the contracting parties to the effect that such advice has been sought,together with the written advice given, if any, shall be attached to the application for marriage license. Should the parents or guardian refuse to give any advice, this fact shall be stated in the sworn statement.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

I'm not migrating to the US yet.

Will only need a new passport before I leave for Japan. But my hubby-to-be is American.

Audre Lorde

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.