Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

K-3 spouse entering U.S. ahead of K-4 children

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hopefully, my spouse will receive her K-3 visa in mid-November, and she would like to enter the U.S. immediately thereafter. After she is here for about six weeks, she will return for her children, who are going to receive their K-4 visas also in mid-November.

Thus, my wife will enter the U.S. about 2 months ahead of my step-children. Can anyone share with me how any of this might impact the Adjustment of Status process?

Thanks a million!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

hi there

found this on the state dept website for you...

also if you go to the link below you will be able to read the whole page

k3 visa FAQ

Can I travel and re-enter the U.S. on my K-3 or K-4 visa?

Aliens present in the United States in a K-3 or K-4 nonimmigrant visa status can travel outside of the United States and return using their K-3/K-4 visa. If they have filed for adjustment of status in the U.S. prior to departure from the U.S. , USCIS will not presume that the departure constitutes abandonment of an adjustment application.

hope it was some help to you..

take care an good luck


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

your kids will not be able to apply for AOS until after they've moved to the US and gone thru the POE process of "activating" their visas. Your wife may want to wait until that time as well, so that you can send in everything all together.

It shouldn't negatively affect you at all, as their visas are valid for 2 years, and most district offices are processing AOS in less than that.

Your wife can apply for EAD as soon as she arrives tho, so she won't have to wait on the kids for that. K3s can apply separately for EAD and AOS, as one is not contingent upon the other.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.