ChloeeJasperJacob

Not sure where to start

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Australia
Timeline

My name is Melissa, I live in rural nsw. My partner is from the US and has been living here in Australia for 10 years, we have 3 children together who are entitled to dual citizenship but that hasn't been done yet. 

His mum has been diagnosed with dementia and doesn't fit the criteria to move out here to Australia, so the next logical step is for us to try going there. We're not sure how long we'll be needed in the usa and we're 1000% sure we want to come home when we can. I've talked to a friend who had a 7 year tourist visa, that was back in the 90's so not sure if it's still available.  

Justwondering what you guys think our best options are? I'm on a disability pension with infinite portability so I'll be paid that for as long as needed. My partner is a us citizen so will be working there. He's been my full time carer for the past 4 years and 2 of our 3 children have a severe disability 

If you don't plan on living there pernamently then tourist visa is your only option. It's up to the officer on the border how long will you be allowed yo stay. Might be up to 6 months or less. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

There were never 7 year tourist visas....  The long term tourist visas are validity for separate multiple visits only.

tourist visa is for holidays...

Good luck - your situation seems very tough and hats off to your husband to want to take care of him mum too.  With you, two disabled kids, one other kid will he be able to care for his mum too?  Dementia is terrible and I know entire families barely able to handle one elderly with dementia.

Are there other options for his mum?  I hope so and good luck to you guys.

How long do you plan to live in the US? You can get a multiple-entry B1/B2 visa valid for 5 years that will let you stay up-to 6 months at a time as a tourist. I'd suggest visiting for a few months to determine whether you can and do like to live in the US before starting the process.

One of the obstacles to dual-citizenship will be that the USC (the US citizen, your husband) will have to show that 1) he has sufficient income to support all of you and 2) he has established domicile in the US.

I am not sure how the disabilities will impact the immigration process either, but the minimum time from application to getting a permanent-resident visa is around 10 months from Australia. There is just lots of steps and paperwork.

Long term care for dementia patients is expensive (~$60,000 USD/year). She should qualify for Medicaid and you might be able to find a facility that will take care of her. Have a look at https://www.caring.com/questions/what-are-the-options-when-i-cant-afford-care-for-my-parent and explore options for her beyond your husband taking care of her.

US healthcare is expensive. I don't think it will be possible for your husband to take care of you, 3 children, his mum with dementia and earn enough money at the same time.

Good luck,

Yip

Filed: Other Country: Australia
Timeline

Thank you for all of the replies. It's a lot to consider.  Here in Australia, the kids medical supplies are through bright sky's so we only do a co-payment of $6.20 a month. I was looking at the costs of scripts in the usa. Oh my gosh, how do they justify the price, our meds full price don't cost nowhere near that amount.  

I don't think my partner knows exactly what to expect with a dementia patient. I asked if he knew anyone we could pay to take his mum to appointments and such until we can figure out exactly what we're dealing with in our situation. All of his family are born in the usa so his mum does have other's to help out. 

His time would be able to work with his brother,  and they would take turns taking mum to appointments ect, our kids are at a catholic school not special ed. 

It is a huge deal, we've built this life here and to give it all away for god knows how long is hard but caring for our parents whenthey age is a strong value we both have. We were with my dad until the end  (emphysema) 

So many decisions and it really is a stressful subject.  Thank again for the help

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.