FrankSinatra

I-864a relationship between household member and sponsor?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

My wife doesnt make enough income to support me, so her dad is filing a I-864 as joint sponsor too, and her mom, since she files taxes together with her dad, is filing the I-864a form to add her income to her husband (my wife's dad). 

One of the questions (page 2 of 8) its asking about the relationship between the householdmember (i-864a) and the sponsor. 
Would the answer be parent (my wife as household member's daughter) or spouse (my wife's dad as husband) ? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

what you are saying makes no sense

your wife is filing for you, right? she will fill out an i864 as the petitioner and sponsor.

the confusing part is the family. does she live in the same house as her mom and dad? do they file each their taxes? she files her taxes and then her dad files taxes for himself and his wife?

Timeline
5 minutes ago, aleful said:

hi

what you are saying makes no sense

your wife is filing for you, right? she will fill out an i864 as the petitioner and sponsor.

the confusing part is the family. does she live in the same house as her mom and dad? do they file each their taxes? she files her taxes and then her dad files taxes for himself and his wife?

Yes, she lives in the same house as her mom and dad, her mom and dad file taxes together. Her dad includes my wife and her brothers in his taxes. My wife does not make enough income to support me. Her dad is filing an I-864 as joint sponsor. Her mom is filing an I-864a as household member adding her income to my wife's dad because they do taxes together. In the I-864a form, it asks about the relationship between the household member (person who is filing the I-864a) and the sponsor. Now, this is what is confusing me, should we choose "parent" or "spouse" because both, my wife and her dad, are filling an I-864, but her dad is the one who pays taxes with her mom.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, FrankSinatra said:

Yes, she lives in the same house as her mom and dad, her mom and dad file taxes together. Her dad includes my wife and her brothers in his taxes. My wife does not make enough income to support me. Her dad is filing an I-864 as joint sponsor. Her mom is filing an I-864a as household member adding her income to my wife's dad because they do taxes together. In the I-864a form, it asks about the relationship between the household member (person who is filing the I-864a) and the sponsor. Now, this is what is confusing me, should we choose "parent" or "spouse" because both, my wife and her dad, are filling an I-864, but her dad is the one who pays taxes with her mom.

My wife is filing an I-864 as petitioner and sponsor

Her dad is filling an I-864 as joint sponsor

Her mom is filing an I-864a as household member adding her income to her husband (my wife's dad) because they file taxes jointly.

The question is, when in the "I-864a" its asking about the relationship between the household member and the sponsor, is it asking about the relationship between her mom (i-864a) and my wife (i-864 and petitioner) or the relationship between her mom (i-864a) and my wife's dad( i-864 joint sponsor who also files taxes jointly with his wife)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

no, the sponsor that the i864A mentions can also be the joint sponsor, that's where you are confused

the contract to sign is between her mom and dad, not with your wife. the relationship is between the joint sponsor and his household member, so the relationship is spouse

now If mom and dad were both to file an i864A, not another i864, then the relationship would be parent, between your wife and her dad, and your wife and her mom, because it is sponsor/petitioner and the household member who would sign the i864A. in that case your wife signs her dad's as the sponsor and her dad as the household member. and then a separate i864A, and again your wife being the sponsor/petitioner and the household member her mom

but when there Is another i864 as the joint sponsor, the household member is to the joint sponsor, not the petitioner

Timeline
4 minutes ago, aleful said:

hi

no, the sponsor that the i864A mentions can also be the joint sponsor, that's where you are confused

the contract to sign is between her mom and dad, not with your wife. the relationship is between the joint sponsor and his household member, so the relationship is spouse

now If mom and dad were both to file an i864A, not another i864, then the relationship would be parent, between your wife and her dad, and your wife and her mom, because it is sponsor/petitioner and the household member who would sign the i864A. in that case your wife signs her dad's as the sponsor and her dad as the household member. and then a separate i864A, and again your wife being the sponsor/petitioner and the household member her mom

but when there Is another i864 as the joint sponsor, the household member is to the joint sponsor, not the petitioner

Thank you so much thats what I was thinking! so Relationship is spouse because they fill taxes together

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.