BCARNOLD

Paying I-129f fee from abroad

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Hi,

I'm currently living in South Korea and ready to send in my I-129f packet. I just can't seem to figure out how to get the payment figured into a personal check (I don't have a US account currently) or money order. So, I went to a Western Union because I thought they would give me a paper money order, but they said I would only get a confirmation number; which I could give USCIS to collect the payment. I'm a little afraid of sending the packet off with a number. Would they take that method of payment? Anyone have experience sending the packet and paying from abroad? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

No, they will not accept Western Union. They require a check from a bank that can be cashed in the US, or a money order.

If you cannot obtain a suitable funding source, what you can do, if you are comfortable doing so, is send the packet to somebody you trust in the US and pay them however you want. Then they can send it to the USCIS lockbox along with a check (preferred) or money order. The payment does not have to be from the petitioner...it just needs to be something they can cash/deposit for the correct amount. Alternatively, you can pay them to send you the check, then you send the packet to USCIS. This avoids them seeing or tampering with your packet, but is greater risk (they can cancel the check or not have sufficient funds by the time it arrives) and this takes longer with the international shipments going on.

That said, I will note that part of the I-134 (for the interview later) requires that the beneficiary can obtain domicile in the US. A US bank account is only one piece of evidence to show domicile, but I just wanted to make sure you're aware of it so you can ensure that you do so and it's not a surprise later.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

Thanks so much for your reply! I called the consulate here in Seoul and they said I can go to my Korean bank and get a check that can be cashed in the US. I guess that would be a cashier's check or banker's check? Thanks again for taking the time to help! 

• 5 months later...
Timeline
On 3/31/2017 at 7:54 PM, BCARNOLD said:

Thanks so much for your reply! I called the consulate here in Seoul and they said I can go to my Korean bank and get a check that can be cashed in the US. I guess that would be a cashier's check or banker's check? Thanks again for taking the time to help! 

I am in the exact same boat as you. I am in South Korea and sending my i-129 packet from here. What did you tell your bank to get the check that can be cashed in the US? Did it end up working out? 

Thank you!

Shellane

Timeline
3 hours ago, Shellane845 said:

I am in the exact same boat as you. I am in South Korea and sending my i-129 packet from here. What did you tell your bank to get the check that can be cashed in the US? Did it end up working out? 

Thank you!

Shellane

Hi ! Yep, I went to my bank and asked for a banker's check. You may want to bring someone who can speak Korean if you don't just in case, but usually someone at the bank speaks English well. Be sure they have the check printed out to US Department of Homeland Security...they'll configure the exchange rate and fee for you to pay in KRW and the check will be made out in USD. When I mailed in the packet via DHL, I had to tuck the check behind a few pages because they said they wouldn't mail checks....but it worked! Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.