Udella&Wiz

Attention Canadian folks...question about Moving and crossing the border

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

Does anyone have a good link to the US Border site? We're getting close enough that we'd like to start getting prepared for 'The Big Move' . Thus far, i've looked at movers sites and many allude to using a particular form (name or #?) and having them handle everything. However, consider the cost involved with having someone move me, we're considering renting a truck and handling it ourselves.

I'd like to know if anyone has moved recently from Canada or is about to and can tell me about their experience.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I'd like to know if anyone has moved recently from Canada or is about to and can tell me about their experience.

Hey at the end of January I with my dad drove my belongings over the border. I'm not sure where the person in Canada is. I drove over at the Blaine Truck crossing. Everything went very smoothly. They questioned me on whether I had any plants or animals that I was bringing with me... (cause you will need extra papers if you do). Otherwise, I had a complete list of numbered boxes and exactly what was packed into each box so they didn't rip apart the nicely packed truck which we were all so very grateful for. I was getting on so well with the customs guy I thought I would see if I could get an ead there... No luck he said he could give me the form to file. Any other questions you have send me an email... there was also a posting I had made before leaving canada asking what to do after I had the actual visa in hand before I left canada. Don't forget MSP I did then they sent me a bill :| Best wishes for your interview and your journey south

Kristina

Feb 25, 2006... Submitted I-129F

Jan 4, 2007... Interview date Visa in Passport

Jan 30,2007... POE Blaine Washington, Pacific Truck Crossing

March 8, 2007... Mailed AOS and EAD

May 21, 2007... AOS application APPROVED with interview (Day 67)WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO

May 29, 2007... GREEN CARD ARRIVES.. and email from CRIS approval notice sent (Day 75)

Sept 25, 2008... Moved to the UK

Feb 24, 2009... Mailed I-751 to CSC from UK

December 30, 2009... Approval notice!!

Jan 9, 2010... 10 year GREEN CARD arrives.

May 31, 2012... Express Mailed N-400 application to the Nebraska Service Center for military spouses filing overseas

Jun 11, 2012... NOA date and Cheque cashed Day 11

Jun 28, 2012... Placed in line for interview scheduling Day 28

Jul 20, 2012... Email from USCIS London for info to schedule interview Day 50

Sep 1, 2012... Moved back to the USA

Sep 12, 2012... Email from USCIS London scheduled for interview/oath Sept 28th in the UK(will be day 120)

Nov 26, 2012... Had submitted change of addresses. Notification that I have again been scheduled for interview Day 179

Dec 1, 2012... Letter arrived Day 184 with new interview date Jan 4, 2013 (Will be day 218)

event.png

Timeline
Hey at the end of January I with my dad drove my belongings over the border. I'm not sure where the person in Canada is. I drove over at the Blaine Truck crossing. Everything went very smoothly. They questioned me on whether I had any plants or animals that I was bringing with me... (cause you will need extra papers if you do). Otherwise, I had a complete list of numbered boxes and exactly what was packed into each box so they didn't rip apart the nicely packed truck which we were all so very grateful for. I was getting on so well with the customs guy I thought I would see if I could get an ead there... No luck he said he could give me the form to file. Any other questions you have send me an email... there was also a posting I had made before leaving canada asking what to do after I had the actual visa in hand before I left canada. Don't forget MSP I did then they sent me a bill :| Best wishes for your interview and your journey south

Kristina

Thanks! I'm close to Toronto so it's likely Buffalo for me - I've SOOOO enjoyed the border patrol guards there in the past - cheerful lot! MSP - what does it stand for? a tax of some type?

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Timeline
Thanks! I'm close to Toronto so it's likely Buffalo for me - I've SOOOO enjoyed the border patrol guards there in the past - cheerful lot! MSP - what does it stand for? a tax of some type?

Medical Service Plan so whomever bills you for your Ontario medical plan....

Feb 25, 2006... Submitted I-129F

Jan 4, 2007... Interview date Visa in Passport

Jan 30,2007... POE Blaine Washington, Pacific Truck Crossing

March 8, 2007... Mailed AOS and EAD

May 21, 2007... AOS application APPROVED with interview (Day 67)WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO

May 29, 2007... GREEN CARD ARRIVES.. and email from CRIS approval notice sent (Day 75)

Sept 25, 2008... Moved to the UK

Feb 24, 2009... Mailed I-751 to CSC from UK

December 30, 2009... Approval notice!!

Jan 9, 2010... 10 year GREEN CARD arrives.

May 31, 2012... Express Mailed N-400 application to the Nebraska Service Center for military spouses filing overseas

Jun 11, 2012... NOA date and Cheque cashed Day 11

Jun 28, 2012... Placed in line for interview scheduling Day 28

Jul 20, 2012... Email from USCIS London for info to schedule interview Day 50

Sep 1, 2012... Moved back to the USA

Sep 12, 2012... Email from USCIS London scheduled for interview/oath Sept 28th in the UK(will be day 120)

Nov 26, 2012... Had submitted change of addresses. Notification that I have again been scheduled for interview Day 179

Dec 1, 2012... Letter arrived Day 184 with new interview date Jan 4, 2013 (Will be day 218)

event.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi all,

Does anyone have a good link to the US Border site? We're getting close enough that we'd like to start getting prepared for 'The Big Move' . Thus far, i've looked at movers sites and many allude to using a particular form (name or #?) and having them handle everything. However, consider the cost involved with having someone move me, we're considering renting a truck and handling it ourselves.

Hi,

I just moved recently from Calgary, AB to Tulsa, Oklahoma. I flew down on March 13th and I shipped my stuff with ABF Freight. I had checked out U-haul and it was more expensive in the end. It would have taken 3 or 4 days driving time, the cost of my fiance (now hubby) flying to Calgary, staying in motels on the way down, meals in restaurants, etc. The form you refer too is called a 3299. I printed it off from ABF's website. You have to have it completed with your goods no matter how you bring them into the US. I also had every box numbered with a list of what was in each box. You have to do that for customs. I was told I had to be physically in the US before my belongings could be released from Calgary. Once I arrived in Tulsa I just went to the ABF office here and they faxed a copy of my I-94 back to the ABF office in Calgary and my stuff was on it's way. They had no problems at the border and nothing was opened or inspected. Hope this helps.

Susan

Feb 17/06 - I-129F Petition sent

Mar 1/06 - I-129F NOA1

May 12/06 - I-129F NOA2

June 7/06 - Packet 3 rec'd

Sept 6/06 - Packet 3 sent

Sept 15/06 - Rec'd letter with interview date

Sept 28/06 - Interview in Vancouver,BC and Visa in hand!

March 13/07 - US Entry

March 15/07 - WEDDING DAY

March 21/07 - AOS application & Interview through DORA Day 1

April 13/07 - Rec'd letter with Bio Appt. date Day 24

April 27/07 - Biometrics Appointment "touched" Day 38

April 30/07 - "Touched" Day 40

June 8/07 - Day 79...still waiting, haven't been touched or heard anything.

June 13/07 - Day 84..... I'm not having much faith in this DORA process..... closing in on the 90 day time frame real fast.....

June 19/07 - Day 90 ......nothing (Hubby calls Senator's Office)

June 20/07 - Day 91 - Got the "70 Day Letter" in the mail today :-(

June 22/07 - Mailed out EAD and AP by Priority Post Day 93

June 24/07 - EAD rec'd at Chicago Lockbox

June 29/07 - Day 100 - Infopass appt in OKC..... AOS stuck in name check

July 3/07 - Day 104 - Rec'd NOA for EAD

July 6/07 - Day 107 - Rec'd letter for EAD Bio Appt. for July 18th

July 18/07 -Biometrics

Timeline

The customs form needed if you plan on having a moving company take care of your stuff is form 3299. I had to fill that out, as well as give the moving company a copy of my birth certificate, a copy of my marriage certificate and a full copy of my passport. It was money well spent for us.

Here is the US Customs website if you need to do some more searching:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/home.xml

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Hi, I moved from Toronto to Rhode Island on a K-1 visa and we came through Buffalo NY. It was in September 2004 so 1) my memory is a bit foggy (though that might also be because we left at 5:30 am!) and 2) my info might be out of date, but here's our story in case it helps. :)

I rented a U-Haul in TO. When I packed my boxes, I numbered everything and kept a notebook with the numbers and contents of each box. The cat came with me, so I asked the vet for a copy of his records and switched him to a food manufactured in the US. The latter may have been overkill but I wanted to make sure a change in diet wouldn't be a problem.

My husband (fiance at the time) flew up when he had some time off and drove down with me as, having relied on public transit in Toronto, I was really uncomfortable with driving a truck. When we got to the border, we showed my visa to the border guard and he waved us over to a side building. Unfortunately, this is where the foggy memory gets in the way...I remember showing them the visa and the notebook listing the truck's contents, and that the process was quite fast with very little hassle, even when I mentioned the cat. They may have asked about plants (I didn't have any). I did ask about EADs but they said they no longer issued them at the border. They stamped my passport with the date of entry and sent us back to the truck to drive to the gate, where they let us through.

I think I phoned the Buffalo crossing before the move to check what they would require...you might want to try this. The phone numbers are listed at http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contact...rts/ny/0901.xml.

Good luck! I hope this helps.

Hi all,

Timeline

Medical Service Plan so whomever bills you for your Ontario medical plan....

Sorry - still not getting it....who sent a bill and for what?

Thanks!

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi, I moved from Toronto to Rhode Island on a K-1 visa and we came through Buffalo NY. It was in September 2004 so 1) my memory is a bit foggy (though that might also be because we left at 5:30 am!) and 2) my info might be out of date, but here's our story in case it helps. :)

I rented a U-Haul in TO. When I packed my boxes, I numbered everything and kept a notebook with the numbers and contents of each box. The cat came with me, so I asked the vet for a copy of his records and switched him to a food manufactured in the US. The latter may have been overkill but I wanted to make sure a change in diet wouldn't be a problem.

My husband (fiance at the time) flew up when he had some time off and drove down with me as, having relied on public transit in Toronto, I was really uncomfortable with driving a truck. When we got to the border, we showed my visa to the border guard and he waved us over to a side building. Unfortunately, this is where the foggy memory gets in the way...I remember showing them the visa and the notebook listing the truck's contents, and that the process was quite fast with very little hassle, even when I mentioned the cat. They may have asked about plants (I didn't have any). I did ask about EADs but they said they no longer issued them at the border. They stamped my passport with the date of entry and sent us back to the truck to drive to the gate, where they let us through.

I think I phoned the Buffalo crossing before the move to check what they would require...you might want to try this. The phone numbers are listed at http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contact...rts/ny/0901.xml.

Good luck! I hope this helps.

Hi all,

I called the Peace Bridge last week and the duty guard told me that they do stamp your passport with the temporary work authorization stamp

Met in Cleveland 07/07/05 ... Fireworks!!!

Emails and phone calls until first visit back September '05

Many trips to Cleveland and overnight stays in New York

Engaged 05/07/06

07/18/07 - Interview yeeehaaa .. approved

07/26/07 - received Visa from Montreal (should have received 07/24)

07/26/07 - POE Buffalo, NY (Peace Bridge) .. No EAD stamp

07/27/07 - Beautiful marriage .. now you may call me Mrs. :)

07/28/07 - Filed AOS,EAD, and AP for me and AOS and AP for my son via UPS .. received 08/01

08/16/07 - applied for ssn

09/03/07 - received ssn card

11/07/07 - AP approved and received 11/12/07 :)

11/19/07- EAD approved online and received same day (actual approval 11/07/07) :)

12/27/07 - AOS transferred to CSC

02/26/08 - 485's approved without interview

01/14/09 - Sent I-751 - removal of conditions

02/23/10 - Biometrics

03/17/10 - Removal of conditions approved .. card production ordered

"Life is not measured by the amount of breaths that we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm still waiting on what EXACTLY is a MSP too......not sure what that has to do with OHIP.

I'm sorry if I sound rude, don't mean to be :)

AND you get a temp work authorizations stamp? Is that the same as an EAD though, I read somewhere someone took that when they went to get a SSnumber and they were told it wasn't any good? Not sure where I read it, that's floating around somewhere :huh:

2006/11/29 : I-129F Sent

2006/12/12: I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2007/02/22: I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2007/03/06: Package Left From NVC

2007/03/21: Rec Instructions (Pkt 3)

2007/03/27: Pkt 3 sent to Montreal Consulate

2007/03/28: Pkt 3 rec. @ Montreal Consulate

2007/04/12: Entered into system

2007/04/19: Medical

2007/07/25: Phone call, interview Aug/Sept. Email, at least 6 months for interview

2007/08/01: Phone call, 5-7 months

2007/08/08: Phone call. INTERVIEW

2007/08/16: Interview letter arrives.

2007/09/03: My baby girl leaves for Trent University

2007/09/12: Interview@8:15 APPROVED

2007/09/19: Visa received in hand

2007/10/08: POE Sarnia/Port Huron

2007/10/09: Home

Timeline

MSP (Medical Services Plan) is the B.C. equivalent of OHIP in Ontario. I don't believe they send you a monthly bill for OHIP the way we do in BC but you have to notify them that you are ceasing to be a resident. Hope that answers your question.

Removal of Conditions I-751

07.23.2018 Sent I-751 Priority Express to CSC (California)

08.02.2018 18 month Green Card extension letter

07.16.2019 Biometrics complete

09.04.2019 Case transferred to Lee's Summit, MO (NBC)

03.22.2021 New card in production

03.23.2021 I-751 approval notice (without interview)

03.27.2021 10-year green card received

N400 Naturalization Application

07.22.2019 Online application; USCIS estimated completion Sept 2020

07.31.2019 Biometrics complete

12.18.2020 Contacted State Senator (I-751 pending for more than 2 years)

05.10.2021 Interview  - recommended for approval

06.03.2021 Oath day...finally done!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Should I have the Customs form 3299 with me if I am moving my stuff down myself, at the time that I am activating the K1? Thanks in advance for letting me know!

AOS

AOS Package received in Chicago 4-25-07 (Day 1)

NOA 1 5-01-07 (Day 7)

Cheque Cashed 5-02-07 (Day 8)

Touched 5-04-07 (Day 10)

Biometrics Appointment 5-18-07 (Day 26)

Touched 5-21-07 (Day 29)

Transferred to CSC e-mail 5-25-07 (Day 33)

Touched 5-28-07 (Day 36)

Touched again...feels niiiice! 5-29-07 (Day 37)

Notice of CSC transfer via reg mail 6-01-07 (Day 40)

Touched; 'pending @ CSC' e-mail 6-07-07 (Day 46)

Touched 6-08-07 (Day 47)

Touched 6-10-07 (Day 49)

Touched 6-19-07 (Day 58)

Touched 6-20-07 (Day 59)

Touched 8-31-07 & 9-3-07

Card Production Ordered 10-01-07

Welcome Notice Sent 10-02-07

Lifting of Conditions

Sent 7/13/09

Received at CSC 7/14/09

NOA Receieved (Dated 7/14) 7/18/09

Biometrics Appointment 8/12/09

Touched 8/13/09

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Cdn Ali,

I got you now. OHIP takes their payment out when we file our income tax here. I never thought of notifying them, that's a good thing to think about. I suppose we need to find out how long they cover us if at all once we activate our visas!!

2006/11/29 : I-129F Sent

2006/12/12: I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2007/02/22: I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2007/03/06: Package Left From NVC

2007/03/21: Rec Instructions (Pkt 3)

2007/03/27: Pkt 3 sent to Montreal Consulate

2007/03/28: Pkt 3 rec. @ Montreal Consulate

2007/04/12: Entered into system

2007/04/19: Medical

2007/07/25: Phone call, interview Aug/Sept. Email, at least 6 months for interview

2007/08/01: Phone call, 5-7 months

2007/08/08: Phone call. INTERVIEW

2007/08/16: Interview letter arrives.

2007/09/03: My baby girl leaves for Trent University

2007/09/12: Interview@8:15 APPROVED

2007/09/19: Visa received in hand

2007/10/08: POE Sarnia/Port Huron

2007/10/09: Home

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Should I have the Customs form 3299 with me if I am moving my stuff down myself, at the time that I am activating the K1? Thanks in advance for letting me know!

No, its for unaccompanied materials!!

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/forms/

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Here's a link to my border crossing story ...

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...&hl=detroit

Mo

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.