Klee

i-134 Questions

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I made a topic with a question about the i-134 and I thought we were all good from there, but after filling it out more I realized that we have more questions.

I have done a lot of research on these forums, but it seems everyone has a different financial situation. Please excuse me if any of these are stupid or redundant questions.

1. As far as my annual income goes, I just started working again after not having a taxable job (only had under the table jobs) for the past two years while I was in college. Should I not include my annual income on the i-134 since I do not have any tax returns and because my job is very new?

2. I have about 2 grand in my checking about but none in my savings account. Should I still include a statement from my bank even though I don't have a ton of money in my account? Also, should my bank know what to do when I tell them what I need?

3. Should my co-sponsor (mom) be filling out the form any differently? I see lots of examples of primary sponsors filling out the i-134, but how do I show my mom as a co-sponsor? Will the office just assume the second i-134 is the co-sponsor or should I include a short letter with it?

4. At the bottom of the i-134 it says, "I acknowledge that I have..." and then it has a blank space. Should I just leave that blank as it is in the example form?

5. On the K1 Visa Guide it says that I only need to include my tax returns if I'm self-employed. Why does it seem like a lot of others on this forum are including their tax information, even though they aren't self-employed? Should I do it anyways?

Thanks so much.

Filed: Timeline

It seems like you have almost nothing to go on except maybe a letter of employment. No history of tax returns. No history of employment except what you have now. It's all going to be on your mom and your mom is going to be on the hook for the I-184 too unless you can show 125% of poverty guidelines for a 2 person household. You mom needs to sponsor your fiancee with an I-134. Please spell it out for your mom exactly what she is obligated for if she does have to sponsor your fiancee for the I-184. I-134 is non binding and only used as a guideline for the CO doing the K-1 interview. I-184 is absolutely legally binding.

Timeline

It seems like you have almost nothing to go on except maybe a letter of employment. No history of tax returns. No history of employment except what you have now. It's all going to be on your mom and your mom is going to be on the hook for the I-184 too unless you can show 125% of poverty guidelines for a 2 person household. You mom needs to sponsor your fiancee with an I-134. Please spell it out for your mom exactly what she is obligated for if she does have to sponsor your fiancee for the I-184. I-134 is non binding and only used as a guideline for the CO doing the K-1 interview. I-184 is absolutely legally binding.

I have a history of tax returns and employment, but nothing current/in the last two years, you are correct.

I am also aware that it's going to be on my mom and she is 100% fine with that. She meets the 125% minimum and will only be claiming myself and my fiancee as dependents. My fiancee also has $15k saved up in her bank, which may or may not be relevant during the interview.

In regards to the point you bring up, I was told in another thread I should file a I-134 as a sponsor regardless of everything you mentioned, since it couldn't hurt. That's why I asked the questions in my OP.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I made a topic with a question about the i-134 and I thought we were all good from there, but after filling it out more I realized that we have more questions.

I have done a lot of research on these forums, but it seems everyone has a different financial situation. Please excuse me if any of these are stupid or redundant questions.

1. As far as my annual income goes, I just started working again after not having a taxable job (only had under the table jobs) for the past two years while I was in college. Should I not include my annual income on the i-134 since I do not have any tax returns and because my job is very new? You should definitely list your current annual income now that you are working and plan on paying your taxes. Your current annual income is just that. It is not what you made in the past or so far this year. It is projection, based on your current pay rate as to what you would earn in an entire year's time. You provide letter from employer and recent pay stubs to prove that current income amount. If you were required to file taxes and just did not, then you need to file your back taxes.

2. I have about 2 grand in my checking about but none in my savings account. Should I still include a statement from my bank even though I don't have a ton of money in my account? Also, should my bank know what to do when I tell them what I need? Do not need bank statements unless you are using money in the bank as an asset to meet the requirement. The entire assets section of the I-134 can be left blank. They are not a requirement.

3. Should my co-sponsor (mom) be filling out the form any differently? I see lots of examples of primary sponsors filling out the i-134, but how do I show my mom as a co-sponsor? Will the office just assume the second i-134 is the co-sponsor or should I include a short letter with it? Your mom fills out her own separate I-134 and provides her most recent tax transcript and proof of her current income as well. She should also provide proof of being a USC or LPR in case that is needed. Not sure what the exact instructions are from your consulate.

4. At the bottom of the i-134 it says, "I acknowledge that I have..." and then it has a blank space. Should I just leave that blank as it is in the example form? See this post > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/518969-i-134-is-a-confusing-form-help/?p=7296537

5. On the K1 Visa Guide it says that I only need to include my tax returns if I'm self-employed. Why does it seem like a lot of others on this forum are including their tax information, even though they aren't self-employed? Should I do it anyways? Most consulates require the most recent tax return/transcript with the I-134. What do the instructions from your consulate ask for?

Thanks so much.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Thanks for the great response! Super helpful!

If you were required to file taxes and just did not, then you need to file your back taxes

I was not required to file my taxes for the past few years because I was not making enough to file taxes. I have filled taxes before, but it hasn't been for a few years. Would I need those?

What do the instructions from your consulate ask for?

This may be very stupid, but I'm not sure, yet. It doesn't say in the NOA2. I'll look around online.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You are welcome.

Your instructions do not specify, so go ahead and include a statement that you were not required to file taxes in 2015 because your income was below the filing threshold.

https://ca.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee/overview/

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.