6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi guys,

My (Chinese) wife and I have been married and living together for a bit longer than 18 months, so we are inclined to wait another six months to apply for the IR1 rather than CR1.

However, she has never been to America, and we would like to check out a few cities before settling, as well as give her the chance to meet my parents (and them the chance to meet her).

She seems to think the chances of getting a B2 visitor visa are slim to none, but if we already have a case #, and qualified sponsors (myself and a joint sponsor), I wonder if maybe our chances are not so bad. Clearly we intend to relocate, and have been going through the process - we'd just like her to have a chance to experience the country before actually moving there.

Does anyone have any idea of the chances that we could get a B2 for a short trip to the U.S, then come back here and submit for the IR1 in December?

Or is it pretty much a waste of time and energy?

You wife will get a 2-year or 10-year green card depending on how long she has been married to you on the day she enters the US, not the date you submit the petition or the date she gets the visa. So you should apply now rather than wait, she can always delay her entry date to ensure it is after your 2-year anniversary, and so she gets the 10-year green card.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Has she travelled to any other countries? And am I right in thinking you currently have no visa applications in progress at all for the US?

You wife will get a 2-year or 10-year green card depending on how long she has been married to you on the day she enters the US, not the date you submit the petition or the date she gets the visa. So you should apply now rather than wait, she can always delay her entry date to ensure it is after your 2-year anniversary, and so she gets the 10-year green card.

Applying now would show intent to immigrate and reduce further the chances of her getting a B2 to visit would it not though?

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

She's been to Indonesia, Singapore, and Thailand.

My wife told me some other Chinese in a green card group she's part of inly got a 2-year visa, even though they were married more than two years upon arriving in the U.S, because other steps were taken before two years.

Even if I can show her proof that this isn't officially the case, she believes those who experienced it. I can't blame her, but it's frustrating.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

She's been to Indonesia, Singapore, and Thailand.

My wife told me some other Chinese in a green card group she's part of inly got a 2-year visa, even though they were married more than two years upon arriving in the U.S, because other steps were taken before two years.

Even if I can show her proof that this isn't officially the case, she believes those who experienced it. I can't blame her, but it's frustrating.

If you haven't filed anything yet then I would imagine its better to apply for the B2 and try and get that approved BEFORE filing the CR1/IR1. If she can show strong ties to China still (which I'd imagine you still have if you haven't filed) and prove its just for a visit then she might be able to get it. The main red flag will be marriage to a USC but that shouldn't automatically deny it. Travel to other countries will help in this regard I believe.

Edited by Nathan&Emily
event.png

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: F-2A Visa Country: China
Timeline

My husband had already filed petition for me. We were then waiting for CC and PD to be current when I applied for B1/B2 (for business). The chances were very slim but I got approved.

You should give it a try as well.

2016/01/01 - AOS & IV Fee Paid

2016/01/08 - CEAC payment status changed to 'PAID'

2016/01/15 - DS-260 Submitted

2016/01/26 - AOS/Financial & Supporting documents submitted by Email (EP)

2016/01/27 - Scan date

2016/01/29 - New 'GZO' case number assigned

2016/01/29 - NVC asked to resubmit two PDF files that were 'secured'

2016/01/29 - Resubmitted two PDF docs

2016/01/29 - 2nd Scan date

2016/02/25 - Case complete!! (found out by calling on 2016/03/02; No 3 N/A's on CEAC)

2016/03/28 - P4 received/ Interview scheduled

2016/04/27 - Medical exam + Vaccine

2016/05/05 - Got my medical report

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.