rebel

VISA approved for Wife :) ticket purchase question

13 posts in this topic

• According to Philippines law, tickets for flights departing from the Philippines cannot be purchased from any region other than the Philippines.

​what is the usual way to purchase one way tickets to the US? I am planning on traveling to the Philippines next month, VIA Cebu, for a short visit , then accompany my wife and son back to the US. my normal travel agent has warns dmd about this Law . I am guessing it is regards to travel tax, but I assume there dis a way to book all out flights in the US and pay this tax. any feedback would be appreciated. thanks

on your to Philippines, which airline are you taking? if you are going through AA, look at the carrier that will take you to Philippines, the last stop of your international flight. Call them up. they will hook you up at good rates as they know you would be buying tickets both ways :P

rebel, on 25 Oct 2014 - 05:02 AM, said:
  • According to Philippines law, tickets for flights departing from the Philippines cannot be purchased from any region other than the Philippines.

​what is the usual way to purchase one way tickets to the US? I am planning on traveling to the Philippines next month, VIA Cebu, for a short visit , then accompany my wife and son back to the US. my normal travel agent has warns dmd about this Law . I am guessing it is regards to travel tax, but I assume there dis a way to book all out flights in the US and pay this tax. any feedback would be appreciated. thanks

You can buy your tickets online for all travel. Just print off the tickets and bring them with you. Pay the departure taxes and get on your flight to USA.

Travel Fees:

Travel Tax/Exit Fee for all those immigrating: 1620 Php (currently) Can be paid at the airport if its not included with the purchase of your airline ticket. Counter is staffed 24/7 at NAIA

http://www.tieza.com...l-tax-rates.php

Terminal/Airport Fee: 550 Php (currently)

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

​what is the usual way to purchase one way tickets to the US? I am planning on traveling to the Philippines next month, VIA Cebu, for a short visit , then accompany my wife and son back to the US. my normal travel agent has warns dmd about this Law . I am guessing it is regards to travel tax, but I assume there dis a way to book all out flights in the US and pay this tax. any feedback would be appreciated. thanks</p>

I just purchase ticket today one round trip for me and one way from manila to U. S. for my mom I personally booked the ticket from a travel agency and never told me about this kind of law

11-1999---Meet in Taiwan

08-2002---Wedding in Philippines

10-2003---Enter U.S.A.

07-2006---10 yrs Green Card

11-2010---Proud to be U.S. Citizen :joy:

12 Yrs Married and counting (L) (L) (L)

IR5 (Mother)

01-16-2014---I130 Sent

01-21-2014---NOA1 Recv

02-22-2014---RFE Recv

02-27-2014---RFE Docs Sent

03-14-2014---I130 Approved

03-20-2013---Case Shipped to NVC

03-21-2014---NOA2 Approval Recv

04-01-2014---NVC Recv Approved Papers

04-30-2014---Sent email request to NVC for expedited process

04-30-2014---Case # and Invoice ID # assigned

05-02-2014---Recv NVC email asking for foreign contact # to complete expedited request

05-05-2014---DS 261 available and completed

05-07-2014---AOS show up payable and paid

05-09-2014---AOS Paid (shows processed 5/08/2014)

05-09-2014---Case Sent To US Embassy, Manila

05-11-2014---DS-260 Completed Online

05-12-2014---Case is READY!

06-25-2014---Medical Exam done in one day but ask to come back for Sputum test

07-07-2014---Interview Schedule @ 6:30AM Cancelled due to sputum test

07-08-2014---to 7-10-2014 (3 days Sputum Test) Negative result

09-09-2014---Sputum Final Result: (PASSED!!! 9-08-14 )

09-16-2014---Interview (221(g) for NBI a.k.a. name, I864 Orig. Signature & NSO verification)

09-25-2014---Documents sent via 2go

09-29-2014---221g documents delivered. & signed by L. Bernardino

09-30-2014---and 10-01-2014,Touched but still on AP

10-07-2014---Email sent to USEM

10-15-2014---Called USEM

10-16-2014---Sent Fax to USEM of approved expedited letter from U.S. Embassy General

10-21-2014---Touched but still on AP

10-22-2014---Visa Issued :joy:

"It's good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it's good to check up once in a while to make sure you haven't lost the things that money can't buy."

I booked a one-way ticket online, departing from Manila and had no problem during my travel. I just had to pay the travel tax upon departure.

Edited by M and C

As far as Philippine Airlines is concerned, "transactions made online are considered purchases in the Philippines". See link under "Payment":

http://www.philippineairlines.com/about-pal/legal-notices/terms-and-conditions/

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I read them too. And I bought my wife's ticket from Manila to New York on Expedia, while in New York. And she paid all the required taxes in cash at the airport. And we had no problems.

rebel, on 25 Oct 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

Ill have to talk to my travel agent again,. But I read several comments about people having to re-purchase tickets in country .

My answer was my experience. Good luck.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I booked one way tickets for myself, my now wife and our 2 kids on Orbitz from our apartment in Cebu last year and left with no problems at all.

Don't stress out over it. Enjoy Cebu, I loved it there. My wife is from up north near Borbon.

Filed: Timeline

The law does exist and it's been around since the Marcos days. It's coded in the IATA system and travel agents will see that note/restriction when they attempt to ticket. This rule only covers tickets originating PH. Basically, your roundtrip ticket US-PH-US is legal even if it was issued in the US. Your wife and son's PH->US has to be issued in the Phils for it to be legal.

But since this is the PH we are talking about, the enforcement is hit or miss. Most have been able to travel with no issues whatsoever and then there are some horror stories you hear about having to repurchase tickets.

My suggestion is buy directly from the airline's website. If the airline is collecting travel tax, then they are doing this legally. What they are really doing is using their Phil based branch/subsidiary to "issue" the tickets for you. By law (another Marcos one), a ticket issued in the Phils has to have travel tax collected unless you are exempted. To check if the site is collecting travel tax, you can check under the taxes/fess breakdown. The tax is a line item that has the keyword "PH" and has the amount P1620 or ~$36+ (the $ value fluctuates depending on forex rates).

At the end of the day, it's up to you to decide which route (and eventually how much risk) you are willing to take. Good luck :)

Edited by yannix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.