CJF077

US Waiver Program Processing Time

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

In 1995 when I was 18 I got into trouble with the law and was charged and fined. In 2004 I wanted to go to the US with my sister and had to go to the US consulate to obtain a VISA. I am Australian Citizen. After a nervous waiting time I was granted a waiver program and they stamped my passport and put a sticker in it which granted me access to the US.

10 years later I am looking at travelling in mid November to the US with my sister and her husband, and after emailing the US Embassy was told due to the fact I had been approved before it should be a relatively painfree process.

Based on that information stupid me and gone and booked my tickets and accomodation / tours etc as my sister had already booked. I had also applied for another VISA and made a booking for the meeting to discuss my application.

Went into the embassy this morning and after being asked to see two different people was given a form which states that a "waiver based on the information submitted will be requested on your behalf" The guy at the desk said that the process can take up to 4 months for approval, this would mean that I have now lost out on my trip.

I am wondering if anyone else has been in this situation and how long did it actually take to be done. I would have thought that due to the fact that I had been approved previously and have not done anything wrong in 19yrs it would be a straight forward process. What are your thoughts, and how long has it taken you or someone you know?

Edited by CJF077

Filed: Timeline

sounds like you were (are) ineligible for having committed a Crime Involving Moral Turpitude (CIMT)...and you were granted a waiver for that ineligibility, then given a visa....however, your ineligibility did not evaporate....it's still there...which is why you now need another waiver in order to be granted (renew) a new visa...and the COs are not empowered to grant waivers...only visas...and they cannot issue you a new visa until you are granted a waiver by (essentially) USCIS/DHS, which could take some amount of time. There are lots of waiver requests in the queue...so, it will take some unknown amount of time to have your request adjudicated.

Hi :oops: I am wondering was there a stipulation with the waiver????? and within the 10 years had you stayed in contact with the consulate???? Never had the problem, but these were the thoughts that flagged in my thoughts.

do not just take those persons word, i would ask to speak someone above them to get the jest of the situation. But remember the Consulants are very fickle. Good luck and i wish you the best with less stress on this situation.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

In 1995 when I was 18 I got into trouble with the law and was charged and fined. In 2004 I wanted to go to the US with my sister and had to go to the US consulate to obtain a VISA. I am Australian Citizen. After a nervous waiting time I was granted a waiver program and they stamped my passport and put a sticker in it which granted me access to the US.

10 years later I am looking at travelling in mid November to the US with my sister and her husband, and after emailing the US Embassy was told due to the fact I had been approved before it should be a relatively painfree process.

Based on that information stupid me and gone and booked my tickets and accomodation / tours etc as my sister had already booked. I had also applied for another VISA and made a booking for the meeting to discuss my application.

Went into the embassy this morning and after being asked to see two different people was given a form which states that a "waiver based on the information submitted will be requested on your behalf" The guy at the desk said that the process can take up to 4 months for approval, this would mean that I have now lost out on my trip.

I am wondering if anyone else has been in this situation and how long did it actually take to be done. I would have thought that due to the fact that I had been approved previously and have not done anything wrong in 19yrs it would be a straight forward process. What are your thoughts, and how long has it taken you or someone you know?

There is an ongoing thread on another board on this subject, seems that the norm is 6 months or so, 4 months would be very quick.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

sounds like you were (are) ineligible for having committed a Crime Involving Moral Turpitude (CIMT)...and you were granted a waiver for that ineligibility, then given a visa....however, your ineligibility did not evaporate....it's still there...which is why you now need another waiver in order to be granted (renew) a new visa...and the COs are not empowered to grant waivers...only visas...and they cannot issue you a new visa until you are granted a waiver by (essentially) USCIS/DHS, which could take some amount of time. There are lots of waiver requests in the queue...so, it will take some unknown amount of time to have your request adjudicated.

That is exactly right. I remember years ago I got the waiver stamp and visa on the spot at the consulate, but now thing's have changed and its all done offshore in the US.

Seeing that I got a visa waiver previously I would have thought the process or timeframe would be alot quicker. If it is going to take 4 months then I can kiss my holiday goodbye and the funds paid already to it.

There is an ongoing thread on another board on this subject, seems that the norm is 6 months or so, 4 months would be very quick.

Could you tell me which board you are referring to? or a link?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.