Emergency Advanced Parole approved

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

We filed the AOS from F1 visa in late February and completed the biometrics on March 15. My wife really wanted to go home by beginning of April to complete the wedding ceremony but the Advanced Parole process was taking too long. To make matters worse, her mom started experiencing health problems and was admitted to the hospital twice last week so she really wanted to see her.

I made an appointment using InfoPass on the USCIS website to the San Francisco USCIS office. I chose the "other appointment" category. We went down there for the appointment yesterday and I explained how we already got legally married and are in the AOS process and she wants to return home. But before I could even explain her moms health problems she said "ok we will expedite this process for you." She took my Visa credit card, made a phone call and we will receive our AP document in the mail later this week.

It was a LOT easier than I expected and I received no resistence in expediting the process. Here are some key points for anyone wanting to do an emergency advance parole:

1. Need a credit card from Visa (she never said mastercard).

2. She requeested a flight itinerary which we had. BUT all she did was tell the department over the phone what day she wants to leave. She didn't give flight numbers, time, or anything. She also didn't use this info for her own records either. I think they just wanted to have an idea when she was seriously considering leaving.

3. The expedited process happened immediately and she said we will receive the document this week. I will update you to let you know exactly how many days it took from the appointment to the AP in hand.

4. The appointment was made using the InfoPass tool on uscis.gov. THey weren't really booked. I scheduled ours only a day out.

5. They will need to see all the NOA documents you have received and she did say it was a "very good" thing our biometrics was complete.

6. No proof was required to show that her mom was in the hospital although it was recommended by our lawyer and we did have doctors notes ready just in case. But we didn't have to show them.

7. The agent said that when my wife travels on the AP, she will want to bring an original copy of the marriage certificate for proof.

Hope this info helps for some people out there :)

Now can somebody tell me how to make a timeline in my signature? :P

Edited by 195

AOS, AP:

02-09-07 - Legally Married

02-20-07 - AOS and AP mailed to Chicago

02-27-07 - NOA1

03-15-07 - Biometrics done

03-19-07 - AP Approved (AP was expedited. Emergency Advance Parole done at the immigration office)

03-26-07 - AOS Interview on 5/17

Advance Parole Approved in under 30 days.

Just under 90 days from AOS filing to AOS interview. Not bad! :)

Wow, that was really easy. Congrats and hope all is well abroad. As for the signature, you click on 'My controls', and 'edit signature' located on the left hand bar option. THen away you go.

K1 Journey:

April 13/06 NOA1 from NSC

June 1/06 - Moved to CSC

August 12/06 APPROVED - NOA2!!

August 28/06 Left NVC. . . Vancouver Bound!

September 27/06 Interview APPROVED, with visa in hand

October 29/06 Moving Date

December 30/06 Married!!

AOS Journey:

January 16/07 Sent out AOS, EAD, and AP docs

January 23/07 NOA1's for AOS, EAD and AP

February 13/07 Biometrics in Portland, OR

April 7/07 EAD and AP Received

April 24/07 Interview Scheduled . . . and APPROVED, stamp and all!

May 7/07 Greencard is in my hands!

ROC Journey:

February 17/09 Sent I-751 to CSC

February 18/09 NOA1

March 14/09 Biometrics appt.

April 22/09 Date of Approval!!

June 25/09 Greencard arrives in the mail!

*Everything I post is just my .02 cents, seek a lawyer for anything beyond that.*

UPDATE:

Just got the advanced parole document via DHL Overnight. So we had our appointment to get an emergency AP on Monday morning, and received the document on Wednesday morning.

Not bad at all :)

Hope this helps somebody in a similar situation in the future.

Also one side note, the "local office" in Sacramento, CA was not helpful in getting the emergency advance parole which is why I chose the san francisco office where we got it without any issue.

AOS, AP:

02-27-07 - NOA1

03-19-07 - AP Approved (AP was expedited. Emergency Advance Parole done at the immigration office)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
UPDATE:

Just got the advanced parole document via DHL Overnight. So we had our appointment to get an emergency AP on Monday morning, and received the document on Wednesday morning.

Also one side note, the "local office" in Sacramento, CA was not helpful in getting the emergency advance parole which is why I chose the san francisco office where we got it without any issue.

Hi,

Just wondering, in your original post, you mentioned that the AP process was taking too long. So you had to pay for the AP twice? My husband has 2 kids to get APs for as well as his own! Also were there any extra fees for the DHL overnite?

Thanks for the advice!

J

08/15/76- We Meet-Family vacation- Chapleau, Ontario, CANADA!

11/17/99- We meet again!!!!

05/24/01- He gets job in Chicago(TN visa)Renews TN in 2002, 03, 04, 05, 06

05/19/06- Married!!! Waukesha, Wisconsin

07/30/06- Renew TN & TDs

03/26/07- Send AOS, EAD, I-130, AP

03/28/07- Delivery confirmed in Chicago

04/03/07- NOA date for all filings (Day 1)

04/06/07- Checks Cashed! All TEN of them!!!(Day 4)

04/09/07- Touches on AOS, EAD and APs (Day 7)

04/14/07- Biometrics letter arrives for husband and his sons! (Appt Date 4/23/07) (Day 12)

04/17/07, 04/18/07, 04/19/07- Touches on Husbands I-130, AP & EAD and both stepsons I-130s & APs!

04/23/07- Biometrics Completed(Day 21)

04/24/07- Touches on all AOS and husbands EAD

04/27/07- Interview notice received! (Day 25) (06/27/07 @ 10:00am!) Note: Notice Dated 04/23/07

05/19/07- HAPPY 1st ANNIVERSARY!!! Interview cancellation notices arrive... happy anniversary indeed....

05/21/07- AP Approval emails received for the kids! Now waiting for husbands AP approval?!?!?

05/21,22,23,24/07- Touches and stepsons and husbands APs

05/26/07- Husband and stepsons APs ARRIVE!!! (day 54)

06/11/07- EAD- "Card Production Ordered"!!! (day 70)

06/18/07- EAD- "Approval Notice Sent"!!! (Day 77)

06/20/07- EAD- Card arrives in mail!!! (Day 79)

06/27/07- Interview date (Interview WAS cancelled!) (Day 86)

07/12/07- New interview letters received for 08/09/2007 (kids wont be home until 08/17/07!!!)

09/10/07- Interview!!!! Approved!!!! See you guys in 21 months!!!

UPDATE:

Hi,

Just wondering, in your original post, you mentioned that the AP process was taking too long. So you had to pay for the AP twice? My husband has 2 kids to get APs for as well as his own! Also were there any extra fees for the DHL overnite?

Thanks for the advice!

J

I did not have to pay for the AP twice. How it works is you apply for the AP which is when you pay for the filing fee. All you do is go to the immigration office to expedite the process for your AP. You aren't getting a new AP, just having them approve it immediately instead of having it process normally which could take a very long time.

I honestly do not know if shipping was covered by them or me. I did give them my Visa card so that probably was what I payed for but I never signed a receipt or even got a receipt for that matter. It was DHL Overnight AM Delivery so it arrived very quickly.

Hope that helps :)

AOS, AP:

02-27-07 - NOA1

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
We filed the AOS from F1 visa in late February and completed the biometrics on March 15. My wife really wanted to go home by beginning of April to complete the wedding ceremony but the Advanced Parole process was taking too long. To make matters worse, her mom started experiencing health problems and was admitted to the hospital twice last week so she really wanted to see her.

I made an appointment using InfoPass on the USCIS website to the San Francisco USCIS office. I chose the "other appointment" category. We went down there for the appointment yesterday and I explained how we already got legally married and are in the AOS process and she wants to return home. But before I could even explain her moms health problems she said "ok we will expedite this process for you." She took my Visa credit card, made a phone call and we will receive our AP document in the mail later this week.

It was a LOT easier than I expected and I received no resistence in expediting the process. Here are some key points for anyone wanting to do an emergency advance parole:

1. Need a credit card from Visa (she never said mastercard).

2. She requeested a flight itinerary which we had. BUT all she did was tell the department over the phone what day she wants to leave. She didn't give flight numbers, time, or anything. She also didn't use this info for her own records either. I think they just wanted to have an idea when she was seriously considering leaving.

3. The expedited process happened immediately and she said we will receive the document this week. I will update you to let you know exactly how many days it took from the appointment to the AP in hand.

4. The appointment was made using the InfoPass tool on uscis.gov. THey weren't really booked. I scheduled ours only a day out.

5. They will need to see all the NOA documents you have received and she did say it was a "very good" thing our biometrics was complete.

6. No proof was required to show that her mom was in the hospital although it was recommended by our lawyer and we did have doctors notes ready just in case. But we didn't have to show them.

7. The agent said that when my wife travels on the AP, she will want to bring an original copy of the marriage certificate for proof.

Hope this info helps for some people out there :)

Now can somebody tell me how to make a timeline in my signature? :P

wow that's great. one question did you have to show them the advance parole receipt???

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well,

My husband and his two sons went to the local Milwaukee office to try to get an Emergency or Expedited Advance Parole.

They didn't get them... :no:

His case was "too new". USCIS only received the applications in Chicago on the 2th of March. He actually didn't even have his NOAs, just copies of the checks with receipt numbers from on-line banking.

Problem is, he has a court order requiring him to bring the children to visit their mom in Toronto... this weekend... for Spring Break... ouch!

Anyway, his ex :diablo: was not too happy but I think she understood. We did everything we could to get them for the weekend but the immigration officer told us to give it a week or two so they can have a chance to look at the files.

He was worried sick about it because he has followed everyyhing in the court order perfectly :innocent: . His ex went over a year without paying child support all the while he continued to drive to Toronto every month so that she could see her kids! Over 1200 miles round trip! We even offered to pay for 3 nights at a local hotel with a pool so she could come and visit during her son's basketball tournament... She declined :girlwerewolf2xn: ! We kind of expect her to raise a stink :ranting: or file for contempt of court, but we dont plan on abandoning the AOS applications. Besides, they can just stay in Canada an extra week in the summer.

OK... that's my vent.

When he gets the APs, I'll let you all know!

See Ya!

J

08/15/76- We Meet-Family vacation- Chapleau, Ontario, CANADA!

11/17/99- We meet again!!!!

05/24/01- He gets job in Chicago(TN visa)Renews TN in 2002, 03, 04, 05, 06

05/19/06- Married!!! Waukesha, Wisconsin

07/30/06- Renew TN & TDs

03/26/07- Send AOS, EAD, I-130, AP

03/28/07- Delivery confirmed in Chicago

04/03/07- NOA date for all filings (Day 1)

04/06/07- Checks Cashed! All TEN of them!!!(Day 4)

04/09/07- Touches on AOS, EAD and APs (Day 7)

04/14/07- Biometrics letter arrives for husband and his sons! (Appt Date 4/23/07) (Day 12)

04/17/07, 04/18/07, 04/19/07- Touches on Husbands I-130, AP & EAD and both stepsons I-130s & APs!

04/23/07- Biometrics Completed(Day 21)

04/24/07- Touches on all AOS and husbands EAD

04/27/07- Interview notice received! (Day 25) (06/27/07 @ 10:00am!) Note: Notice Dated 04/23/07

05/19/07- HAPPY 1st ANNIVERSARY!!! Interview cancellation notices arrive... happy anniversary indeed....

05/21/07- AP Approval emails received for the kids! Now waiting for husbands AP approval?!?!?

05/21,22,23,24/07- Touches and stepsons and husbands APs

05/26/07- Husband and stepsons APs ARRIVE!!! (day 54)

06/11/07- EAD- "Card Production Ordered"!!! (day 70)

06/18/07- EAD- "Approval Notice Sent"!!! (Day 77)

06/20/07- EAD- Card arrives in mail!!! (Day 79)

06/27/07- Interview date (Interview WAS cancelled!) (Day 86)

07/12/07- New interview letters received for 08/09/2007 (kids wont be home until 08/17/07!!!)

09/10/07- Interview!!!! Approved!!!! See you guys in 21 months!!!

• 1 year later...
Filed: Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Thanks for posting your story. It makes me feel better but I'm still quite nervous. I'm in a very similar situation. I just mailed off my AOS package to the Chicago Lockbox last Friday and am waiting anxiously for my NOA1. My father is turning 60 in early January and I want to be there for his birthday. My husband is starting a new job in mid-January and so we're sincerely hoping to squeeze in a visit at the end of the year. I've heard horror stories about not receiving the AP in time and I'm so, so worried that I will not receive the AP by end-December, which is when we had purchased our flight tickets for.

The closest USCIS office is Chicago to me. Does anyone has any good stories to share about emergency advance paroles to share from Chicago?

Engaged : 2005-07-02 at Chicago, IL

Marriage : 2007-06-16 at Centralia, IL

I-130 Sent : 2008-10-03

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-11

US Entry : 2001-08-12

Adjustment of Status from F-1 at the Chicago National Office

Date Filed : 2008-10-03

NOA Date : 2008-10-11

Bio. Appts. in

Indianapolis, IN : 2008-10-29, 2008-11-18, THIRD one 2009-2-20 (I hate them so much)

Interview Date : 2009-03-03 (approved pending police background check - they still can't get my fingerprints!)

Employment Authorization Document filed at the Chicago National Office

Bio. Appt. : 2008-10-29, 2009-2-20

Approved Date : 2008-11-14

Date Card Received : 2008-11-17

Comments : EAD was approved simultaneously with my expedited Advance Parole request. Not entirely sure why, but I'm not complaining :) EAD was approved in 42 days.

Advance Parole filed at the Chicago National Office

Date Received : 2008-11-12

Comments :

11/3/08 - Called the USCIS Customer Service center and asked for an expedited processing of AP. Customer service agent was extremely nice and polite. I told him my circumstances for the request (i.e., we had purchased tickets, family medical situation, planned wedding reception back home) and he submitted the request. He thought I had good reasons for my request to be granted.

11/6/08 - Saw online that my AP has been approved. YAY!

11/12/08 - Got my AP in the mail, 9 days after my request for expedition, not too bad!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.