jvl1337

RFE after marriage interview

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Australia
Timeline

My wife and I went to a marriage interview today to prove bona fide marriage. We were issued with a RFE for joint phone bill and joint bank account, as well as something showing us both on the lease. The problem is I'm not on the lease because it never occurred to us that it would be a problem, and she takes care of all our finances. The phone bill is also under her name, although both our numbers are on it. What should I provide in response to the RFE?

Things I can get are

- Letter from the landlord saying we both live here

- Copies of phone bills with both our numbers on them (although not names)

- Bank statements showing our salaries being deposited into the same bank account, as well as spending out of the same bank account

Is this evidence sufficient, or should I provide more, and what kind would be good?

Edited by jvl1337

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

What type of immigration process are you doing? Your timeline is vacant. This forum is for K1 fiancee visas.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

What I would do in your situation:

- Go to the bank and open a joint savings or expenses account and get them to print a statement that shows that it is in both of your names. Start using that account

- Get your utilities companies to change the accounts so that they are in both of your names. Request confirmation by mail.

- Ask your landlord if they would be willing to let you both re-sign your tenancy agreement, otherwise request that letter of co-habitation

- Take out insurance policies together (i.e life insurance in each other's names, vehicle insurance with both of you listed as drivers etc.)

They want evidence that you are combining your lives and responsibilities as a married couple, so that's what you need to do.

-Tezy (L)

I am the beneficiary :wub:

Our K1 visa journey:

17Sep15: I-129f petition sent via courier to Lewisville, TX

21Sep15: petition received

23Sep15: eNOA1

29Sep15: NOA1 hard copy received, onward to CSC!

23Oct15: eNOA2!!!!! Petition approved!!!!! No RFE, so happy!!!!!

09Nov14: NVC received

13Nov15: Case number assigned

19Nov15: Consulate received

21Nov15: Packet 3 received!!!!!

Fast forward past the couple of months of doubt (his) / confusion (mine) about whether I should be giving up my career for him and maybe he should be trying for residency in NZ instead... :cry:

07Mar16: Packet 3 sent with request for extension of petition

09Mar16: Medical

11Mar16: Interview letter received

31Mar16: Interview APPROVED

28Apr16: POE LAX - America here I come!!!!!

18Jun16: MARRIED!!!!! (L)

Timeline

What type of visa are you adjusting from?

Filed: Other Country: Australia
Timeline

What type of visa are you adjusting from?

I have an EAD. I don't have a Visa since i'm from Australia, we have Visa Waiver.

What I would do in your situation:

- Go to the bank and open a joint savings or expenses account and get them to print a statement that shows that it is in both of your names. Start using that account

- Get your utilities companies to change the accounts so that they are in both of your names. Request confirmation by mail.

- Ask your landlord if they would be willing to let you both re-sign your tenancy agreement, otherwise request that letter of co-habitation

- Take out insurance policies together (i.e life insurance in each other's names, vehicle insurance with both of you listed as drivers etc.)

They want evidence that you are combining your lives and responsibilities as a married couple, so that's what you need to do.

-Tezy (L)

Does it matter that we do this after we get the RFE though? Wouldn't that look suspicious?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I have an EAD. I don't have a Visa since i'm from Australia, we have Visa Waiver.

Does it matter that we do this after we get the RFE though? Wouldn't that look suspicious?

I think it would more suspicious if you don't do it at all!! Besides, they have specifically requested joint account information so you should do your best to take steps to supply what they require, even if it is after the fact.

-Tezy (L)

I am the beneficiary :wub:

Our K1 visa journey:

17Sep15: I-129f petition sent via courier to Lewisville, TX

21Sep15: petition received

23Sep15: eNOA1

29Sep15: NOA1 hard copy received, onward to CSC!

23Oct15: eNOA2!!!!! Petition approved!!!!! No RFE, so happy!!!!!

09Nov14: NVC received

13Nov15: Case number assigned

19Nov15: Consulate received

21Nov15: Packet 3 received!!!!!

Fast forward past the couple of months of doubt (his) / confusion (mine) about whether I should be giving up my career for him and maybe he should be trying for residency in NZ instead... :cry:

07Mar16: Packet 3 sent with request for extension of petition

09Mar16: Medical

11Mar16: Interview letter received

31Mar16: Interview APPROVED

28Apr16: POE LAX - America here I come!!!!!

18Jun16: MARRIED!!!!! (L)

Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to WST-based AOS Progress Forum~

~Adjusting from VisitorWP~

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.