juang1985

Interview on Monday In Los Angeles ** Have a concern**

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello,

I have a quick question for the experts here :).

I have my interview for my citizenship on Monday in downtown LA Under 5 year rule. I study really hard so I'm not concerned about the civics test.

My concern is with my arrest. I got arrested in 2007 for DUI (before i got my green card) but was convicted in 2008. in 2008 i also got pulled over driving without a license but was not arrested then just a misdemeanor for driving without a license. I completed and payed for all fines for both cases and the cases are closed long a go.

I went to the court to get the dispositions and i got both of them. on my application i put that i was only arrested once.

do you guys think i will have any problems with this?

any suggestions?

I just want everything to go smooth, hopefully they wont give me too much trouble for my arrest.

if anyone here that has been arrested i would like to get your feed back on how the interview went.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello,

I have a quick question for the experts here :).

I have my interview for my citizenship on Monday in downtown LA Under 5 year rule. I study really hard so I'm not concerned about the civics test.

My concern is with my arrest. I got arrested in 2007 for DUI (before i got my green card) but was convicted in 2008. in 2008 i also got pulled over driving without a license but was not arrested then just a misdemeanor for driving without a license. I completed and payed for all fines for both cases and the cases are closed long a go.

I went to the court to get the dispositions and i got both of them. on my application i put that i was only arrested once.

do you guys think i will have any problems with this?

any suggestions?

I just want everything to go smooth, hopefully they wont give me too much trouble for my arrest.

if anyone here that has been arrested i would like to get your feed back on how the interview went.

Thanks!

You were arrested once, but it sounds like you were cited in 2008.

The application asks if you were arrested or cited, so you should have listed both incidents.

You can correct this at the interview; just tell the interviewer that you forgot to list a time that you were cited.

Usually, they only look at minor arrests during the statutory period (5 years before the application in your case).

This doesn't mean that they can't take your arrest into consideration, but it means that it is unlikely that they will deny your application solely for that reason. In cases where there is an arrest on record, the result of the interview is often that "a decision cannot be made". They sometimes want to go back and double check your record. The fact that you have your court disposition should help.

There are many people on here who had arrests on their records and who were approved. Most who had recent arrests had a hard time. Most who had arrests more than 5 years ago only had a hard time if they didn't have court papers proving that the case was dropped or the fines were paid or the sentence was served.

Expect to be questioned about this and perhaps not receive an immediate decision, but it sounds like you are prepared and the incident took place long enough ago to not be a problem.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

JimmyHou,

Couldn't have asked for a better explanation. Thanks!!!

To be honest, I didnt realized that the driving with out a license was a misdemeanor and was on my record until 3 days ago that i went to court and got the disposition. The clerk asked me if i wanted dispositions for both cases(DUI and Driving with out a license) and i was shocked. i thought that other incident was only a traffic violation not something too serious that would go on my record.

So i got the dispositions on both cases. DUI arrest and driving with out a license.

yes both offences were back in 2008 ( i was young and stupid 22 yrs old) ever since i have not had any other incidents.

Ill make sure to point this out when my interview starts. Dont want them to think i try to lie... truth is that i didn't even know that went in my record.

Edited by juang1985

Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline

anyone went to the interview with an arrest on their record? would like to hear some experiences..

Thanks

Hi Juang !

Yes, my husband went to his interview in January at the downtown Los Angeles office. I had his record expunged right before we applied for removal of condition. Not only did the interviewing officer want the original expungment but also the court disposition. Make sure you take a copy also ( incase they will want to keep it, our interview officer did ) He says it's the first thing she asked for and grilled him about it, his was a misdemeanor. Just stay calm when they ask about and above all be honest ! He was recommended for approval right away and took his oath last week :)

I did went with arrest record, mine was PI during college days plus fight with a cop i was young and stupid back then. She asked me about what happened in 2006 and i explained to her exactly and i said i paid the price for the mistake, I quit drinking and I fear God. She said things happened and approve my document.,

for anyone who came here younger they know you did some stupid stuff, what matters is what happened after that.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.