SENKA

EAD and SS Name Change

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I got my EAD card yesterday, and went to Social Security office this morning to have my name changed to my married name. Well, they entered my new information from EAD card into their system, but said that their records are still not updated by the USCIS and that I have to wait. They didn't know for how long.

They kept my old Social Security Card, so even if I get a job offer, I am guessing that I would have to show them SS card.

After I came home, I called USCIS information line to ask how long it will take for this update. They said they didn't know, and there is nothing to do but wait. Wait? I waited for soooo long already to get EAD.

So I now have EAD card, but not Social Security card. This is so frustrating!! I could scream! I am allowed to work, but who will employ me without SS card?

Anyone has any advice on what to do? Thanks

AOS TIMELINE

10/27/06 Mailed I-485 and I765 to Chicago

11/07/06 Checks cashed

11/09/06 Received NOA1 for both EAD and AOS in the mail

11/13/06 Received a letter for Biometrics appointment

11/15/06 Received e-mail that RFE has been mailed yesterday

11/21/06 Biometrics appointment

12/04/06 Sent RFE back

12/08/06 RFE accepted in Lee's Summit - USPS confirmation

12/12/06 RFE recorded on file by USCIS

12/13/06 Touched

12/18/06 Touched again

12/26/06 Received Interview letter dated Dec 19

01/20/07 EAD file touched

01/24/07 EAD approved and card production ordered - received 3 e-mails!

01/24/07 AOS file touched

01/26/07 EAD touched, 3 e-mails received that the approval notice has been mailed

01/30/07 EAD Card Received by Mail

02/07/07 AOS Interview, approved pending FBI name check

04/27/07 Received E-Mail "Welcome New Resident"

04/30/07 Received E-Mail "Card Production Ordered"

05/01/07 Received Welcome Letter in mail

05/07/07 Green card received in the mail!

01/28/09 Mailed I-751 application.

01/30/09 Check already cleared! In two days!

02/03/09 Received NOA - Letter of extension dated 01/29/09

02/11/09 Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 02/24/09

02/24/09 Biometrics Appointment Completed.

04/01/09 Inforpass appointment- got I-551 stamp in my passport

04/11/09 Approval Letter received - dated 04/07/09

05/06/09 E-mail "Card Production Ordered" received

06/01/09 10 Year Green Card Received!

Filed: Timeline

Here are the instructions for changing your name after marriage you may want to print this out and take it with you to the SSA office...

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203410 Suggest that individuals apply for a corrected SSN card to update the SSN record when there has been a name change due to marriage.

Only the marriage document (foreign or domestic) is needed if it meets the following criteria:

-- The new name can be derived from the marriage document, i.e. bride takes the groom's last name, groom takes bride's last name, compound name (with or without hyphen) of each spouse's original name for either or both parties.

Note: State law must also allow the type of name change wishing to be made

-- The marriage occurred within the past two years

-- The marriage document shows sufficient identifying information, e.g., biographical data

such as age, date of birth or parent's names, and

-- The identifying information matches the information on his/her current Social Security

number record.

The applicant will need to submit an identity document in the old name along with the marriage document if:

-- The marriage occurred within the last two years and has biographical information, e.g.,

age, date of birth or parent's names which does not match our records, e.g., the SSN

record.

-- The marriage occurred within the last two years, but does not show biographical

information, or

-- The marriage occurred over two years ago (with or without biographical information.)

The identity document used to establish the old name must match the name on the current SSN record. The identity document is acceptable even if over two years old or expired.

When issuing immigration documents, the Department of State and Department of Homeland Security issue them in the person’s legal name. The legal name is also generally the name in which the foreign passport was issued.

When an alien applies for an SSN card, SSA presumes the name on the immigration document is the legal name unless the applicant presents evidence of a legal name change (e.g., marriage) that occurred after the immigration document was issued.

This is in addition to proof of current lawful employment authorized status.

You can refer SSA office personnel to EM-06064 for current procedures for a name change due to marriage.

When requesting an SSN card, the documents presented, as evidence must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. SSA will not accept uncertified or notarized photocopies as evidence.

Hope this helps

Kez

I had exactly the same thing happen to me last week. They told me that it will take 30 days for the new ss card...they did give me a receipt with my ss number on it, and it says that i went there to change my name....did you get a receipt?

k37hm7.png

03-06-10 Mailed N-400

03-17-10 Check cashed

03-19-10 NOA received

03-22-10 Biometrics sent

04-09-10 Biometrics appointment

06-14-10 Interview Date

06-22-10 Received letter for Oath

07-02-10 Oath ceremony

Timeline
I had exactly the same thing happen to me last week. They told me that it will take 30 days for the new ss card...they did give me a receipt with my ss number on it, and it says that i went there to change my name....did you get a receipt?

Yes, I got a receipt, but there is no SS number on it. It only confirms that I requested change and that they have to confirm with the agency that the information is correct. You are lucky if you have your SS# on it. 1-800 number of USCIS was of no help at all ( nothing new I guess...) They did say that I can schedule in infopass appointment, but I have my AOS interview next week and will ask then.

AOS TIMELINE

11/07/06 Checks cashed

12/04/06 Sent RFE back

12/13/06 Touched

12/18/06 Touched again

01/26/07 EAD touched, 3 e-mails received that the approval notice has been mailed

SENKA,

It's too bad that I QUIT quit - he used to post daily, 'DO NOT GIVE THEM THE CARD, tell them the dog ate it, tell them it went through the washing machine.'

Too late for you now, but maybe the reminder will help other Gentle Readers.

Yodrak

I got my EAD card yesterday, and went to Social Security office this morning to have my name changed to my married name. Well, they entered my new information from EAD card into their system, but said that their records are still not updated by the USCIS and that I have to wait. They didn't know for how long.

They kept my old Social Security Card......

Edited by Yodrak

Hi,

You shouldn't have been in such a hurry to change your social to your married name. It really was not a bid deal at the stage you are at. The wait should be about 2-3 weeks before your verification of status happens. I suggest after 2 weeks you check back at the SS office. With your old social and EAD card you would have still been able to work... Infact if you waited for about 1-2 months before going you'd have got in a few days.

They kept my old Social Security Card, so even if I get a job offer, I am guessing that I would have to show them SS card.

After I came home, I called USCIS information line to ask how long it will take for this update. They said they didn't know, and there is nothing to do but wait. Wait? I waited for soooo long already to get EAD.

So I now have EAD card, but not Social Security card. This is so frustrating!! I could scream! I am allowed to work, but who will employ me without SS card?

Anyone has any advice on what to do? Thanks

Timeline

The only reason I went today is because I have my AOS interview next week and read on this site that sometimes they take away EAD card if they stamp the passport. If they do that I wouldn't have any ID in my married name until I get Green Card, and who knows how long that takes. I was also told that name on the SS card name should match name on EAD.

Hi,

You shouldn't have been in such a hurry to change your social to your married name. It really was not a bid deal at the stage you are at. The wait should be about 2-3 weeks before your verification of status happens. I suggest after 2 weeks you check back at the SS office. With your old social and EAD card you would have still been able to work... Infact if you waited for about 1-2 months before going you'd have got in a few days.

I was thinking that honesty is the best policy, but I guess it isn't always. Live and learn. My "vacation" continues.........

SENKA,

It's too bad that I QUIT quit - he used to post daily, 'DO NOT GIVE THEM THE CARD, tell them the dog ate it, tell them it went through the washing machine.'

Too late for you now, but maybe the reminder will help other Gentle Readers.

Yodrak

Edited by SENKA

AOS TIMELINE

11/07/06 Checks cashed

12/04/06 Sent RFE back

12/13/06 Touched

12/18/06 Touched again

Honesty is definately the best policy. As regards the interview, I think you'll be just fine. If they ask for your SS card just explain everything thats happened. If they also take away your EAD card and stamp your passport, thats okay too because it should say authorized to work on the stamp. I got my first job with my stamped passport as evidence before my green card arrived. On the job issue, if you know your SS number you should still be fine because that should not change on your new card and with the stamp on the passport you can still work because it will have an A# (Alien Number) which is all the proof you need for work authorization.

Good luck on your AOS interview!

Timeline
Honesty is definately the best policy. As regards the interview, I think you'll be just fine. If they ask for your SS card just explain everything thats happened. If they also take away your EAD card and stamp your passport, thats okay too because it should say authorized to work on the stamp. I got my first job with my stamped passport as evidence before my green card arrived. On the job issue, if you know your SS number you should still be fine because that should not change on your new card and with the stamp on the passport you can still work because it will have an A# (Alien Number) which is all the proof you need for work authorization.

Good luck on your AOS interview!

Thanks atlanta123, this really helps. Yes, I know my SS number, so I will continue looking for work and just as you said explain to them that I am waiting for a new card.

Senka

AOS TIMELINE

11/07/06 Checks cashed

12/04/06 Sent RFE back

12/13/06 Touched

12/18/06 Touched again

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I had no problems when I went to change my name. I did bring with me my visa, my old SS card and my marriage certificate. They kept my old card, gave me a receipt (without my number) and I got the new card on the mail 10 days after.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.