jbers88

Passport condition

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi All,

First of all, I would like to extend my thanks to this amazing community. It has been so helpful to my fiancee and I to be able to read other people's experiences and what to expect at each stage.

I finally recieved packet 3 last week and sent back the necessary documents, had my medical examination last friday and have not heard anything back so we can assume everything is fine there!

My new worry (I seem to find something new to worry about as soon as the last thing is done with) is the quality of my passport. It went through the wash about a year ago and looks a bit tattered on the outside & the inner pages are slightly creased and wrinkled where they got wet. The ID page is absolutely fine and all information is clearly visible with no real sign of damage. I have entered the US 3 times since it got damaged and had no problems. I hadn't considered this would be an issue until I spotted in someones forum signature that they were refused their visa due to poor condition of their passport. After waiting patiently for so long I would be pretty devastated if I get rejected because my passport is a little bit rough around the edges.

As I am still awaiting my interview date I could probably use the post office check and send service to get a replacement passport in 3 weeks, though I'm not sure if having a different passport number when I arrive at the interview will also cause a problem?

Any advice?

Edited by jbers88

It probably depends on the Embassy and CO....but you don't have a country or timeline listed, so it may be difficult for people to help you.

In the UK forum, one of the users was approved pending receipt of a new passport due to the poor condition of her old one. But that was London...as soon as she got the new passport, she had it couriered to the Embassy, and all seemed fine.

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

One of the members on here got turned away at her interview because of her passport condition,it may pay you to get a replacement if possible to be on the safe side

You should be able to rush delivery a new passport....I would go that route...better safe than sorry.

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Timeline

You should be able to rush delivery a new passport....I would go that route...better safe than sorry.

Do you think it will be ok if I have a new passport number & details. I was concerned that having a different passport number might cause some kind of confusion/delay at the embassy when it doesn't match my forms.

Do you think the 3 week check and send service will be fast enough? I sent my forms back last Thursday 26/09 and had my medical on Friday 27/09 so don't have an interview date yet. I could get a fast track appointment but getting to London is tricky with work.

I've read other people getting a new passport in the process and being fine. They were of course able to present the old passport and the new one at the interview and explain the situation (since the new one would have no stamps and have a different passport #). Didn't seem to cause any issue. I don't know how long it takes in the UK to get a new passport, but I imagine you won't have an interview date until at least late October, so you should have time to get a new one in the post.

I agree with Sara and Jola- better safe than sorry! Get a new passport ASAP!! Good luck!

Met in 2006 through a pen pal website for school-aged kids when we were 15!
Kept in touch a bit for 4.5 years
02-2011 -Started talking about how to make a relationship work
06-06-2011- Met in Chicago and became a couple, finally!
07-18-2011- I flew back with him to England to meet his family
11-23-2011- He stays with my family and me for three months!
05-16-2012- I flew to England to be with him for a month.
07-15-2012- He flies back to me for another 3 months
12-17-2012- I fly over to England to be with him for 5 months
04-05-2013- We took a trip to Rome, and he asks me to marry him in St. Peter's Square!!!
04-25-2013- I-129F Sent to Dallas Lockbox
05-09-2013- He comes back to visit me for nearly 2 months
07-03-2013- I go back ONE last time, while our I-129F is processing
07-17-2013- Our petition is approved only 79 days later!! kicking.gif
07-25-2013- I fly home, and we are now apart for an indefinite amount of time. cray5ol.gif
08-09-2013- Packet 3 received
08-13-2013- Packet 3 sent back
08-15-2013- Medical Exam
09-24-2013- Jake's mom flies me to England by surprise AND short notice
09-26-2013- Packet 4 Arrives
10-02-2013- Interview- Approved!! dancin5hr.gif
10-11-2013- Visa arrives
11-04-2013- POE Chicago O'Hare
11-27-2013- Wedding day!!!
01-25-2014- Filed AOS

02-25-2014- Biometrics Appointment

I renewed my passport this year and I think I read that if you send it for normal processing and then find that you need it more quickly you can phone them and pay to upgrade to expedited processing. I think you can even phone and have it sent to the 1 day emergency processing centre. Best double check that though, don't take my word for it.

1/11/18  N-400 Filed online

Sorry, yes - I just set up an account and hadn't figured all that stuff out yet!

I am applying via the London embassy

Yes London is very picky about passports. I have know rejections reported in this forum for washed ones, Suntan lotion spilled on one, and a couple with curled edges. There's been enough problems that I put it in my preparation for London list here http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/350185-london-2012-k1s-from-noa2-to-interview-thread/

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

I had a different passport to the one that I had when I submitted the I-129F. I had no problem. I took my old passport with me to the interview, in case they wanted to see it as it had about 3 of my VWP stamps for entry to the US in it. But they only wanted to see my current passport. If you can get to London, then that is a lot quicker but you have to pick up your passport at the end of the day.

See here for the different ways of getting your UK passport:

https://www.gov.uk/browse/abroad/passports

Personally, I would probably go to the Post Office and do their 'Check and Send' service. It tends to be quicker (although a little more expensive than mailing it direct) - https://www.gov.uk/how-the-post-office-check-and-send-service-works. Not all Post Offices offer this service - check whether http://www.postoffice.co.uk/branch-finder and select 'Passport Check and Send'.

Hi All,

First of all, I would like to extend my thanks to this amazing community. It has been so helpful to my fiancee and I to be able to read other people's experiences and what to expect at each stage.

I finally recieved packet 3 last week and sent back the necessary documents, had my medical examination last friday and have not heard anything back so we can assume everything is fine there!

My new worry (I seem to find something new to worry about as soon as the last thing is done with) is the quality of my passport. It went through the wash about a year ago and looks a bit tattered on the outside & the inner pages are slightly creased and wrinkled where they got wet. The ID page is absolutely fine and all information is clearly visible with no real sign of damage. I have entered the US 3 times since it got damaged and had no problems. I hadn't considered this would be an issue until I spotted in someones forum signature that they were refused their visa due to poor condition of their passport. After waiting patiently for so long I would be pretty devastated if I get rejected because my passport is a little bit rough around the edges.

As I am still awaiting my interview date I could probably use the post office check and send service to get a replacement passport in 3 weeks, though I'm not sure if having a different passport number when I arrive at the interview will also cause a problem?

Any advice

I had my interview last week and they actually gave me a blue slip saying I had been refused due to the condition of my passport. They are pretty strict about passport conditions. My passport was in good enough condition to be allowed in and out of the states for the past 18months but not good enough for a visa.

I had an emegrency appointment at HM Passport Office place in Victoria (2 day wait for the appointment) where they issued the passport for me within 4 hours. If its busy they wont offer the premium service on damaged passports (premium service is 4 hours) only on renewals. The quickest they will offer is a week. But this time of year is quiet and they will do it if its quiet. Ive attached a pic of my passport page with the "problem area"

EDIT: Just to add the passport office were very efficient. I had my shiny new passport within 3 hours. The courier company collected it on Monday and the embassy signed for it today. SO hopefully now we should have an approval this week. My advice would be to renew your passport ASAP

post-150920-0-86532200-1380714504_thumb.jpg

Edited by Azsara

Our Story AoS
[March 2012] Met online on Christian Mingle [November 27th 2013] AoS sent
[June 25th 2012] Met in Person in London!
[August 2012] Steve visits me again in the Uk for our second meeting for just one weekend! [March 6th 2014] AoS Interview - Passed
[september 2012] My first trip to America to visit the love of my life
[November 2012] I travel to America for my first ever thanksgiving with Steves family!
[December 2012] Steve comes to the Uk to spend xmas with my family!
( heart.gif February 15th 2013 heart.gif ) He pops the question in Kensington, London...and I say yes!

K1

[January 15th 2013) I-129f SENT!
[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)
[July 18th 2013] Case forwarded to NVC

[July 26th 2013] We call DoS and are finally given our case # - I book medical immediatly

[July 29th 2013] Case forwarded to US Embassy, London
[August 8th 2013] Packet 3 sent (before received)

[August 9th 2013] Packet 3 received
[August 13th 2013] Medical

[August 16th 2013] CEAC updates - London logs my medical results

[August 20th 2013] - CEAC update - London logs my packet 3

[August 23rd 2013] I call DoS and they tell me my interview date, (2 weeks since I sent ds-2001)

[August 27th 2013 CEAC update - London dispatches packet 4]

[August 29th 2013] Packet 4 received
[september 24th 2013] Interview -
Refused due to passport and birth certificate condition

[september 26th 2013] Emergency appt at HM Passport Office London - New Passport and Birth Certificate in hand
[september 30th 2013] DX collects passport and birth certificate

[October 3rd] - Docs delivered to Embassy

[October 10th] - London Approves and Issues our Visa!!

[October 16th 2013] 4.00pm - Visa in my hand, 11pm POE -Newark

[October 27th 2013] Wedding wub.png

Timeline

Thanks so much for all the advice. I booked a fast-track appointment at the passport office for next Tuesday. I was thinking about check and send but I dont want to risk not having my new passport in time for my interview.

Thanks especially to Azsara for details of your experience, I think it was actually your signature that brought this to my attention!

Edited by jbers88

Thanks so much for all the advice. I booked a fast-track appointment at the passport office for next Tuesday. I was thinking about check and send but I dont want to risk not having my new passport in time for my interview.

Thanks especially to Azsara for details of your experience, I think it was actually your signature that brought this to my attention!

Good thinkin! And your very welcome x

Our Story AoS
[March 2012] Met online on Christian Mingle [November 27th 2013] AoS sent
[June 25th 2012] Met in Person in London!
[August 2012] Steve visits me again in the Uk for our second meeting for just one weekend! [March 6th 2014] AoS Interview - Passed
[september 2012] My first trip to America to visit the love of my life
[November 2012] I travel to America for my first ever thanksgiving with Steves family!
[December 2012] Steve comes to the Uk to spend xmas with my family!
( heart.gif February 15th 2013 heart.gif ) He pops the question in Kensington, London...and I say yes!

K1

[January 15th 2013) I-129f SENT!
[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)
[July 18th 2013] Case forwarded to NVC

[July 26th 2013] We call DoS and are finally given our case # - I book medical immediatly

[July 29th 2013] Case forwarded to US Embassy, London
[August 8th 2013] Packet 3 sent (before received)

[August 9th 2013] Packet 3 received
[August 13th 2013] Medical

[August 16th 2013] CEAC updates - London logs my medical results

[August 20th 2013] - CEAC update - London logs my packet 3

[August 23rd 2013] I call DoS and they tell me my interview date, (2 weeks since I sent ds-2001)

[August 27th 2013 CEAC update - London dispatches packet 4]

[August 29th 2013] Packet 4 received
[september 24th 2013] Interview -
Refused due to passport and birth certificate condition

[september 26th 2013] Emergency appt at HM Passport Office London - New Passport and Birth Certificate in hand
[september 30th 2013] DX collects passport and birth certificate

[October 3rd] - Docs delivered to Embassy

[October 10th] - London Approves and Issues our Visa!!

[October 16th 2013] 4.00pm - Visa in my hand, 11pm POE -Newark

[October 27th 2013] Wedding wub.png

I had my interview last week and they actually gave me a blue slip saying I had been refused due to the condition of my passport. They are pretty strict about passport conditions. My passport was in good enough condition to be allowed in and out of the states for the past 18months but not good enough for a visa.

Looking at the photo you have you do wonder how many people will get caught out. I was expecting your passport to look dog eared and machine washed....

I suspect they wonder if it's been tampered under the laminate layer otherwise like you say - if it's been used for US entry repeatedly - someone in London is being *really* picky.

Richard

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.