Travels with AP - GC approved but not in hand

3 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks in advance for either reassuring me or shedding light on what I should do.

I received notification through email that my GC had been approved on July 1st. I've had plane tickets booked for months to go visit family in Canada, leaving July 10th. I'm crossing my fingers that I'll get it in time, but with July 4th tomorrow, the week end coming up, etc. I'm not counting on it.

Am I okay to travel back to the US using my AP even though my GC has been approved?

I'd really rather not have to make an info pass and travel to my nearest local office to get stamped, if it isn't necessary.

Thank you so very much.

Catherine

Thanks in advance for either reassuring me or shedding light on what I should do.

I received notification through email that my GC had been approved on July 1st. I've had plane tickets booked for months to go visit family in Canada, leaving July 10th. I'm crossing my fingers that I'll get it in time, but with July 4th tomorrow, the week end coming up, etc. I'm not counting on it.

Am I okay to travel back to the US using my AP even though my GC has been approved?

I'd really rather not have to make an info pass and travel to my nearest local office to get stamped, if it isn't necessary.

Thank you so very much.

Catherine

As long as the AP has not expired and you did not have more than 180 days of over-stay then the AP is valid and you can travel on it. The CBP MAY ask why you do not have the GC yet, but I think they can see the timeline and connect teh dots. Life does not stop just because you are dealing with the USCIS. You have proper travel documents and you applied for them just for this case--to travel outside the US before the GC arrives. Just because you are approved does not mean that you have the physical card yet. Some have waited several weeks from approval to actual receipt of the card.

Have a good trip,

Dave

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

AP is valid through the end of November and not one day of over stay.

I was just skeptical about 1) the validity of the AP once the GC had been approved (if the GC voided the AP) and 2) the legal aspect of traveling with AP when GC had been approved (although not in hand). Which I guess are the same thing in the end.

You're right, life doesn't completely stop for the USCIS - I'm sure there's some understanding.

My welcome letter has supposedly been mailed, so I'll bring that along, just in case. Last time the CBP and I had a little chat about the long process of receiving PR status from K1. So I do anticipate a few questions.

Thank you.

Edited by 1.618

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.