jepongsky

police clearance in Jordan

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

hi everyone. anyone of you or know someone who has obtained a police clearance from Jordan if not living there anymore. I worked there for 2 years and currently working in Jeddah. I tried to go to the Jjordan consulate here, however they lack information. they asked me to fill out an application form in arabic which i dont understand at all , photocopy my passport with stamps from philippine consulate and copy of picture. They told me It will be processed in Jordan so it will take for 2 months more. I am just wondering if anyone can give me information on how to get their requirements in English translation, or if anyone had sucessfully done this procedure before. It is really giving me a hard time. I read in some of the forums before that they were able to get requirements in Jordan embassy in the Philippines , they just emailed it to them. I hope someone can give me details on how they where able to process that... thanks in advance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

hi everyone. anyone of you or know someone who has obtained a police clearance from Jordan if not living there anymore. I worked there for 2 years and currently working in Jeddah. I tried to go to the Jjordan consulate here, however they lack information. they asked me to fill out an application form in arabic which i dont understand at all , photocopy my passport with stamps from philippine consulate and copy of picture. They told me It will be processed in Jordan so it will take for 2 months more. I am just wondering if anyone can give me information on how to get their requirements in English translation, or if anyone had sucessfully done this procedure before. It is really giving me a hard time. I read in some of the forums before that they were able to get requirements in Jordan embassy in the Philippines , they just emailed it to them. I hope someone can give me details on how they where able to process that... thanks in advance.

hey.my fiancee is working on her police certificate in Jordan,she filled out a form an handle it to the Jordan FBI,and i think its ready to pick it up and have it ready on her interview.

so your salutation is different cause yr not living there any more,so try to go to the Jordanian consult in jeddah and they might help you.it's the only choice you have,i think

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It appears that Jordan will only issue Police Certificates to 'current' residents in Jordan. Once you have left, you cannot obtain one. Which is good news, as the US Embassy cannot expect you to obtain one then. From the US Department of State website regarding Police Certificates in Jordan:

Police Records

Available to resident Jordanian citizens and foreigners. The General Intelligence Directorate (GID) is responsible for issuing good conduct certificates. They are considered to be reliable, but cover primarily security-related records, i.e. not necessarily criminal information. These certificates must be applied for in person at the local GID office, and are valid for one year. It takes up to two weeks to obtain the certificate from the GID. Foreigners must reside continuously in Jordan for six months before the GID will issue a certificate. There are no procedures to obtain these certificates through Jordanian embassies in foreign countries.

We had a similar situation with Kuwait. My fiance worked there two years. I sweated and lost sleep trying to figure out how we were going to get this certificate. Kuwait, like Jordan, will only issue them to 'current' residents. And she was there way back in 2005. Months I tried contacting the US Embassy in Kuwait, the Kuwait Embassy in Manila, who both said it was impossible. I contacted lawyers who told me just to go the Kuwait Embassy and I could get it (totally untrue, they had no idea what they were talking about).

FINALLY I got a response from the US Embassy in Manila who told me that of course since Kuwait wouldn't issue us that document we couldn't be expected to have it!

You might try emailing the US Embassy as well in your country, post what I listed above, and verify with them that you will not need it. Then print and save their email response to bring to the interview.

But it seems many middle east countries are not helpful and won't issue police reports. In that case, no worries then!

Hope that helps!

By the way, here is the best website for this info, you can look up any country and it will tell you 1) if police certificates and other certificates are available, and 2) how to go about getting them.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_3272.html

Filed: Timeline

It appears that Jordan will only issue Police Certificates to 'current' residents in Jordan. Once you have left, you cannot obtain one. Which is good news, as the US Embassy cannot expect you to obtain one then. From the US Department of State website regarding Police Certificates in Jordan:

Police Records

Available to resident Jordanian citizens and foreigners. The General Intelligence Directorate (GID) is responsible for issuing good conduct certificates. They are considered to be reliable, but cover primarily security-related records, i.e. not necessarily criminal information. These certificates must be applied for in person at the local GID office, and are valid for one year. It takes up to two weeks to obtain the certificate from the GID. Foreigners must reside continuously in Jordan for six months before the GID will issue a certificate. There are no procedures to obtain these certificates through Jordanian embassies in foreign countries.

We had a similar situation with Kuwait. My fiance worked there two years. I sweated and lost sleep trying to figure out how we were going to get this certificate. Kuwait, like Jordan, will only issue them to 'current' residents. And she was there way back in 2005. Months I tried contacting the US Embassy in Kuwait, the Kuwait Embassy in Manila, who both said it was impossible. I contacted lawyers who told me just to go the Kuwait Embassy and I could get it (totally untrue, they had no idea what they were talking about).

FINALLY I got a response from the US Embassy in Manila who told me that of course since Kuwait wouldn't issue us that document we couldn't be expected to have it!

You might try emailing the US Embassy as well in your country, post what I listed above, and verify with them that you will not need it. Then print and save their email response to bring to the interview.

But it seems many middle east countries are not helpful and won't issue police reports. In that case, no worries then!

Hope that helps!

By the way, here is the best website for this info, you can look up any country and it will tell you 1) if police certificates and other certificates are available, and 2) how to go about getting them.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_3272.html

thanks for the info...i hope this one wont be a problem in our future processing of documents. i went to jordanian embassy here but what they gave me is an arabic application form, they were telling me they have nothing in english translation...so really its giving me a hard time...

From the US Department of State website regarding Police Certificates in Jordan:

Police Records

Available to resident Jordanian citizens and foreigners.<snip> There are no procedures to obtain these certificates through Jordanian embassies in foreign countries.

<snip>

Unfortunately it does not specifically state that police certificates are unavailable, only that there are no procedures for obtaining them. I think the ambiguous wording from the state department website will not work in the OPs favor. Countries where the requirements are waived are ones where it clearly states that the clearances are unavailable, like with Kuwait or UAE.

There have been quite a few vjers over the years who have had trouble getting police clearances from Jordan after no longer residing in the country but I cannot recall a post that said how they were able to secure one or if they convinced the embassy they could not get one. :( I may be wrong but I think you will be asked for the clearance. If you can't find any answers in old posts you could try and PM some members who are still active and appear to have gotten their visas. Just to ease your mind, if you don't have the clearance on the day of the interview and they ask you for it, they won't deny you - only delay the visa until you submit the document.

Good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well the wording of it is this, "Available to resident Jordanian citizens and foreigners."

To me that is pretty clear. He is not a resident foreigner anymore. The fact that they require you to apply in person would back this up.

And the wording 'there are no procedures to obtain from overseas' implies to me that it can't be done. I expect it's the foreign countries themselves who word the information on that site.

But that is also why I suggested that he contact the US Embassy and try and get an answer out of them.

I wouldn't just ask, as if someone there won't know too and they look it up, that ambiguous wording might make them say ' you need it'.

I would say 'Only resident people on Jordan can get police certificates, since I'm not a resident there, I cannot get it, so I just want to verify that I will not be required to have it at the inteview'.

Hopefully he can get back a 'yes you are correct' response, which I recommend he print out.

I agree the wording could be more clear.

Otherwise I guess he could find someone to help translate the arabic and send in the application anyway, it couldn't hurt...

By the way, I sure wish there was a CONCISE listing of which countries you will be required to obtain police reports from, and which ones you will not. Wouldn't that be helpful?

Jepongsky - here is an OFW that recently had to get the police clearance from Jordan. Archy219 is still an active member so you could probably ask them some questions on how they were able to secure the clearance.

Again good luck.

• 4 years later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.