dukeandduchess

Canada Immigration and K1 Guide for Vancouver

125 posts in this topic

This is great, thank you!

I should be getting my NOA2 soooon and I was curious of the process. Hoping that part where you waited 28 days before packet 3 could be sped up.. guessing one needs like a number or something off that letter?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yep, the letter from the consulate has your case number which is required to book your medical. The 28 days includes the approval, sending to NVC, processing, sending the petition to Vancouver, and Vancouver mailing me the letter with instructions on packet 3. Not very long actually. I've heard others say it takes longer :)

My biggest piece of advice is to start getting your documents especially vaccinations together now. The biggest delay I had was getting my vaccinations done so I could book my medical. Woking medical is pretty strict in enforcing the vaccinations.

Glad you liked it. If you have any questions feel free to PM. There aren't too many of us that go through Vancouver!

Glad to see a guide for Vancouver as well. This will be very helpful for those going through that consulate! Good job. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, the letter from the consulate has your case number which is required to book your medical. The 28 days includes the approval, sending to NVC, processing, sending the petition to Vancouver, and Vancouver mailing me the letter with instructions on packet 3. Not very long actually. I've heard others say it takes longer :)

My biggest piece of advice is to start getting your documents especially vaccinations together now. The biggest delay I had was getting my vaccinations done so I could book my medical. Woking medical is pretty strict in enforcing the vaccinations.

Glad you liked it. If you have any questions feel free to PM. There aren't too many of us that go through Vancouver!

Thanks for the K1 Guide-VANCOUVER-addition!

SO much easier to follow the advice of others from the same country & city.

I'm waiting for my NOA2. I took your advice from a previous posting, and have printed off a copy of 'Packet 3'. Now I'm checking off and completing whatever forms I can do before the letter from the US Consulate arrives. Getting my lovely photos done Thursday.

(Have to renew my passport too! It expires in Dec. yikes!).

-FYI: For those also waiting for your NOA2....

Regarding Criminal Record Check; after you get your letter....

$40+HST for 'criminal-record-check' @ Commissionaires of BC vs $70 at the Vancouver Cambie St. Police Station.

-http://www.commissio...-record-checks/

Cheers ! smile.gif

XYlOm10.pngGSPYm10.png
AOS: 2012-12-28
NOA's x 2: 2012-01-04
Bio App: 2012-02-05 (Honolulu, HAWAII)
Upcoming AOS Interview (March 21) RESCHEDULED between March 28 - June 6
EAD/AP combo card: 2013-03-15
AOS interview: APRIL 16th approved
Green Card: April 25th 2013 - 2015

ROC: 2015-Jan-20
NOA: 2015-Jan-27

BIO Appt: 2015-Feb-24

Approved: 2015-May-26

• 1 month later...

So I saw someone mention "wouldn't it be nice if someone wrote a Vancouver guide..." in another post and I thought, Hey - Why not! I borrowed heavily from Ralyse's Montreal Guide - so credit goes to her and the others involved in creating the Montreal guide. Hopefully this helps people out a bit. If not, PM me!

1. NOA2:

Cry and call everyone you know. The long part of the wait is over and now it's time to get your butt to America. The next couple of months are easy if you are well prepared.

2. NVC/DOS:

You may contact them in regard to where your application is. I never did this so if anyone knows the instructions for Vancouver let me know. Otherwise I'll assume they are the same for anyone. It took 28 days to receive my letter from the Vancouver Consulate from my NOA2 date.

3. Packet 3:

Part 1:

- Download Packet 3 from the Vancouver Consulate website. (http://photos.state....-K3-packet3.pdf)

- To communicate with the Vancouver Consulate e-mail is the best method. They generally reply within 2 business days. E-mail: Vancouverk@state.gov

- You can also fax them at 604.688.8537.

Part 2:

Complete and return immediately by fax form DS-230 Part I, Biographic Data. This form is accessible online. Fax to: 604.688.8537.

Part 3:

Obtain each of the following documents that are applicable to your case and for each non-U.S. citizen unmarried child under 21 who will accompany you to the United States. Bring a photocopy if you need your original back.

As you obtain each document check off the box found on your Packet 3. You will need:

- Passport (with 6 months validity)

- Medical Examination (As long as this is done before the Interview it's okay!)

- Birth Certificates (must show that it is an extract from official records and must bear the seal of the issuing authority/must state the names of both parents)

- Evidence in Lieu of an Unobtainable Birth Certificate (if you can't get a birth certificate you need other evidence) Eg: Baptismal certificate, hospital certificate, school recorts, notarized statement from a close relative.

- Marriage Certificate (this is for K3 visas only)

- Divorce and Death Certificates (if you or your fiancé(e) were previously married)

- Police Certificates

- Court and Prison Records

- Evidence of Support (Form I-134 Affidavit of Support)

- Photographs (5 identical passport photos). 3 are for your medical, 2 are for your Interview

- Custody (you must show you have sole custody of any children under 21 that will accompany you).

- Translations

- Form DS-156 Non-Immigrant Visa Application (complete online and print 2 copies for your interview)

- Form DS-156K Non-Immigrant Fiance(e) Visa Application

4. Returning Packet 3:

Once you have collected all of the documents on the Packet 3 checklist you must fax ONLY the checklist back to the Vancouver Consulate (604.688.8537) *** Note: I had been in contact with the consulate via e-mail because I had issues booking my medical exam and never actually faxed this form back, instead they got annoyed with me and sent me Packet 4 via e-mail and I was able to book my Interview immediately.***

5. Wait:

Usually the Vancouver consulate will mail you Packet 4. Sometimes they e-mail it to you. I don't know. West Coast is a bunch of unpredictable hippies.

6. Schedule your Interview:

Lucky for you, I have the inside scoop. Basically Packet 4 tells you to book your appointment. Easy. *Do not book your interview until you have received Packet 4 or have been told it is on its way*

"This office has received notification that you now have all of the required documents pertinent to your visa application, and you are ready to schedule your visa interview. To schedule an appointment, including rescheduling and canceling appointments, please visit http://canada.usvisa-info.com. All visa applicants, including children under the age of 14, must schedule an appointment."

- Packet 4 also includes instructions on what to bring/what not to bring on the day of your interview. If you want the entire content of the e-mail I was sent I am happy to PM it to you.

- You can get an interview within 4-6 weeks (or less!) when I was doing all of this. In your face, Montreal! (kidding!)

7. Medical!:

Woking Medical makes the most sense for people going through Vancouver Consulate. Their website is http://www.wokingmedical.com/ . Their bark is worse than their bite, trust me. Their website is scary but just make sure you've done everything well in advance *VACCINATIONS* and you have nothing to worry about.

You could also go back East (copied from Ralyse's Guide):

Dr. Seiden: http://panelphysicians.com/ (Toronto and Montreal)

Medisys: http://www.medisys.ca/ (Montreal)

8. Interview (The day has finally come!):

The Vancouver Consulate is notoriously easy. Just be prepared. Smile. Relax. I've written a review in great length somewhere in the Canada forums so if you want more information read that or PM me so I can ramble at you.

9. DHL:

The second biggest pain in the butt other than waiting for your NOA2. The staff at the Vancouver Consulate give extremely confusing and inaccurate instructions about how to get your Waybill. The waybill doesn't show up until your passport has been processed and the Visa has been put in. If you left your e-mail DHL should send you updates/tracking numbers but they weren't always accurate. Just keep logging into the http://canada.usvisa-info.com website until your waybill shows up. Easy, after logging into USCIS religiously for 5 months!

10. POE:

You can go to the US anytime once you get your passport back. Your Visa expires after 6 months and you can always check which day it is because it's written on your Visa! Yay! Kathryn41 has written a great POE checklist here: http://www.visajourn...s-summary-list/

11. Get Married – within 90 days, of course. Then get ready to obsess over your AOS.

This needs to be PINNED! good work

XYlOm10.pngGSPYm10.png
AOS: 2012-12-28
NOA's x 2: 2012-01-04
Bio App: 2012-02-05 (Honolulu, HAWAII)
Upcoming AOS Interview (March 21) RESCHEDULED between March 28 - June 6
EAD/AP combo card: 2013-03-15
AOS interview: APRIL 16th approved
Green Card: April 25th 2013 - 2015

ROC: 2015-Jan-20
NOA: 2015-Jan-27

BIO Appt: 2015-Feb-24

Approved: 2015-May-26

Timeline

Good work!! This was pretty much how it went for me for the Vancouver consulate. If you are going to Woking medical clinic, make sure you have in advance, your payment in money order or bank draft. I did this before I went since your medical starts at 6 am and they will take that from you early. So if you dont have it ready, its difficult to run around to do it. I did the medical and interview in two days. Flew in to Vancouver in evening, got myself versed on exactly where to go and times. Medical next morning ( I didnt do interview same day, just in case)and I was there till noon and then had to come back at 2pm to pick up the "Do not open" packet they give you. So your day is half done with all that. Then my interview was next morning. I looked over my package a hundred times in hotel room, lol.

I have to note, for me, I had everything in order as they state, but when I was doing the interview, she had me put everything in a DIFFERENT order, go figure.

You will get all your originals back (bc, police check, immunization list) when you get your package from DHL along with your passport.

I am getting married next sat, and I already pre requested extra copies of Marriage cert. in case I need more. was only 5 bucks extra for 2 copies. Well worth it now rather than finding out later you may need them.

All in all was a great trip in Vancouver (was born and raised there) so I was familiar with everything and was nice to visit back home for a couple of days.

June 08 - Met online playing COV/COH

July 09 - Met in person, 3 week vacation

Dec 09 - Stayed with boyfriend for a few months visit

Sept 10 - BF visited me for one week

Feb 11 - BF visited again, Proposed, ENGAGED

March 22/11 - Mailed k-1 packet

March 29/11 - Recieved

June 22/11 RFE (more evidence of meeting)

July 12/11 sent in more goodies

July 30/11 NOA 2 approved

Aug 22/11 Packet 3 done

Oct 21/11 booked interview

Dec 7/11 Medical (no problems)

Dec 8/11 Interview in Vancouver - APPROVED!!

POE 3/12

Married April 21 2012

• 1 month later...
Timeline

UPDATE:

*Photographs: Three (3) ..... previously was five (5)

*Medical Examination and Visa Interview: Due to the changes in Department of Homeland Security procedures, the medical exam should be completed on a date close to the actual visa appointment in Vancouver. Details on how to schedule a medical examination and a visa interview will be provided to you as soon as we receive notification that you have collected all of the required documents.

Thanks to CANbirdUSman!

UPDATE:

*Photographs: Three (3) ..... previously was five (5)

*Medical Examination and Visa Interview: Due to the changes in Department of Homeland Security procedures, the medical exam should be completed on a date close to the actual visa appointment in Vancouver. Details on how to schedule a medical examination and a visa interview will be provided to you as soon as we receive notification that you have collected all of the required documents.

Thanks to CANbirdUSman!

I have a concern over the fax number for Vancouver Consulate. I sent them an email and they replied later the same day. I wanted to confirm the number to fax the info and they said it was the 604-685-7175. But my friend who went through this nightmare in January said it was not the number but the one you provided. I just sent the email maybe two weeks ago. Anyone confirm which one you used. Not sure why this is such an annoying concern of mine...sheeesh. Maybe because I want this over with? lol

:rofl::bonk:

thanks a ton

Terri

have an awesome weekend everyone. Anew week of processing will commence soon....

Edited by at long last

Fiance visa

04/28/2011 - I-129F - DENIED

02/18/2012 - I-129F petition filed
02/24/2012 - NOA1
09/04/2012 - NOA2, 193 days

Interview:10/22/2012
POE: 10/26/2012 (245 days)

Removal of Conditions

Filed for ROC - 06/09/2015

NOA1 for ROC - 06/12/2015

Biometrics appointment - 07/17/2015

Approval for ROC - 04/20/2016 (316 days)

Naturalization Process

N-400 Filed 06/10/2016

N-400 NOA1 06/14/2016

N-400 biometrics 06/20/16

N-400 interview 01/23/2017

N-400 Oath ceremony 02/10/2017

Immigration Process took 2116 days.

Timeline

I took a look at the Packet 3 CANbirdUSman posted in the other thread and it looks like the fax number is the same as I have posted here.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/canada/303578/pdfs/K1-K3-packet3.pdf

It is the updated version and it has the same fax number on the top. Hope this helps!

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Thanks Dukeandduchess for this thread! It is VERY helpful! :) I just called the NVC yesterday and they told me that they received my NOA2 on Friday and they sent it out to Vancouver this past Monday. So exciting! I went to the police station to get the background check yesterday. It's $30+GST in Calgary. I was told it will take 3-4 weeks for them to process. :(

I read your advice about Packet 3 and am planning on sending that in as soon as I can. :)

I have a few questions:

1) What vaccinations do I need? Is there a list and where can I find it? Do I ask my doctor to prove that I have those vaccinations and bring it with me to the medical?

2) Where is the clinic in Surrey that is now doing the medical and does anyone know how much they charge?

3) Would it be ok if I booked my interview the day after my medical or should it be 2 days after my medical to ensure that the results are ready?

Thanks for your help! I'm so excited that things are finally progressing! :)

Timeline

First, congratulations!! Sadly, I am not able to edit this thread (at least I don't know how) so some of the info is getting a bit out of date. I'll try to answer your questions as best I can, but some of the more recent Vancouver consulate members will probably have better answers for you!

1) What vaccinations do I need? Is there a list and where can I find it? Do I ask my doctor to prove that I have those vaccinations and bring it with me to the medical?

It depends on your age, but mainly MMR, Tdap, Varicella (you do not need this if you've had chicken pox!), and influenza (only between October and February). Start on your vaccines NOW. I had to delay turning in my package/interviewing because I had to get 3 shots spaced out between 3 months - yuck! To get your vaccination records, contact your doctor or the health unit in the city you grew up in. If you cannot get your vaccination record, get a titre blood test to check to see if you are immune. I had to get a blood test to prove I hadn't had chicken pox to get the varicella vaccine - which was kind of hard when you're 24 and haven't had chicken pox - no one believes you! You can get Tdap at a travel clinic. Make sure you ask for Tdap not Td - they will try to convince you to get Td but let them know it's for immigration purposes. MMR - most people have had at least 1 shot if you're born around the 80s, but I'm not sure when they started. I only had 1 MMR shot so I had to get the second shot.

I'm not sure where you can find the list of vaccines now - it used to be on Woking Medical's website. Perhaps another VJ member can direct you to the new medical office's website (if they have one).

2) Where is the clinic in Surrey that is now doing the medical and does anyone know how much they charge?

I've heard it's $275. Not sure where the location is, though there are plenty of VJers around who have gone recently.

3) Would it be ok if I booked my interview the day after my medical or should it be 2 days after my medical to ensure that the results are ready?

Again, I'm sure another VJ member who has gone through Vancouver recently will be able to answer this for you!

Thanks for your help! I'm so excited that things are finally progressing! :)

Congratulations again, and please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions!

Edited by dukeandduchess

Timeline

First, congratulations!! Sadly, I am not able to edit this thread (at least I don't know how) so some of the info is getting a bit out of date. I'll try to answer your questions as best I can, but some of the more recent Vancouver consulate members will probably have better answers for you!

Congratulations again, and please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions!

Thanks for your help! :) I am pretty sure I have all those vaccinations, so hopefully that won't cause any delays for me. Is there a website with the list of vaccines I need by age? Fortunately, I have had chicken pox and I was born in the 80's. I'm more now concerned that my Police check will hold me back. :(

Do you know where I can check for current Vancouver interview times? Is this a question that I can email them about?

I am definitely going to take you up on your offer for more help as time goes on. I'm so glad you have a wealth of knowledge! :)

Timeline

If you were born in the 80's I'm 99.9% sure those are the only vaccines you need. I was born in 85 and those are all I had to get last year. I just looked to see if Woking still had their vaccine page up but they don't.

Don't worry about the police check. If it takes 3-4 weeks it should arrive just on time. It took almost 1 month for me to get the letter from the consulate. I'm sure you will have it by the time of your interview anyway. There is no way to check the current interview times unless you are ready to schedule your interview (at least none that I found out about). You could always e-mail them and ask, they are wonderful at responding to e-mails.

Did you get your long form birth certificate yet? That is the only other thing I can think of that could cause any delays.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.