Jimen & Kenly

Extend visa to stay in Vietnam

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi all,

Does the US consulate in HCM extend visa to stay in Vietnam? Or is that done in a Vietnamese department?

Anyone done this before? How much does it cost and do I have to leave my original passport with the department?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

--jc

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The government of Vietnam issues visas for their country. The US Consulate is not part of the Vietnamese government.

Mark and Jerome can give you the "how to" renew/extend your visa.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The government of Vietnam issues visas for their country. The US Consulate is not part of the Vietnamese government.

Mark and Jerome can give you the "how to" renew/extend your visa.

I have no real clue, I am well versed in visa exemption extensions, but not typical visa extensions, other than you will first need a sponsor and to go to the Vietnam immigration office and get a form. Other options are to go to a travel agent and have them do it for you, it might be more expensive, but at least it is a one stop shop. Hope this helps Jerome

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Filed: Timeline

Yes, as Anh Map said, the visa is issued by the Vietnamese government. You will need to get your visa extension through the Vietnamese government. When I was in Vietnam a few years ago, I got my visa extension done at their governmental office on Nguyen Du. It is at the corner of Nguyen Du and Cach Mang Thang 8, District 1, HCMC. There is also an office on Nguyen Trai but I don't remember the number/exact location now. I have always done my visa extension at the Nguyen Du address. It costs $10 for an extension and you leave your passport there with them. It took 4-7 days to get it back. You should go in the morning because they are only open certain times, I don't remember what time they open again the afternoon so best to just go in the morning, you will surely catch them then.

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Yes, as Anh Map said, the visa is issued by the Vietnamese government. You will need to get your visa extension through the Vietnamese government. When I was in Vietnam a few years ago, I got my visa extension done at their governmental office on Nguyen Du. It is at the corner of Nguyen Du and Cach Mang Thang 8, District 1, HCMC. There is also an office on Nguyen Trai but I don't remember the number/exact location now. I have always done my visa extension at the Nguyen Du address. It costs $10 for an extension and you leave your passport there with them. It took 4-7 days to get it back. You should go in the morning because they are only open certain times, I don't remember what time they open again the afternoon so best to just go in the morning, you will surely catch them then.

I am not sure, but I think he does not have visa exemption, and you sound like you are talking about extending a visa for visa exemption, and I am not sure it he is trying to do a tourist visa/business visa/visa exemption. Each of these visa's require different steps and different amounts of cash. The $10 is for visa exemption extension without leaving Vietnam, other visas are different with different fee's, but they all should go through the district 1 place as you mentioned. If you are not familiar with HCMC, then as I said before, go to a travel agent if it is a business or visitor visa, if not go to the immigration office in district 1 and someone there can also do it for you to save you some troubles, but the price will go from $10 to about $30, remember this is only for visa exemption and not leaving the country

Jerome

Edited by jeromebinh

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi all,

Does the US consulate in HCM extend visa to stay in Vietnam? Or is that done in a Vietnamese department?

Anyone done this before? How much does it cost and do I have to leave my original passport with the department?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

--jc

Going through Vietnamese Immigration can be a hassle and sometimes they won't extend, so a lot of people go through an agent. I highly recommend a guy us expats call Phat Man (Phat Dang). His number is 090 831 1294. He does take your passport and returns it within a few days. He's completely reliable and it's all above board.

I am not sure, but I think he does not have visa exemption, and you sound like you are talking about extending a visa for visa exemption, and I am not sure it he is trying to do a tourist visa/business visa/visa exemption. Each of these visa's require different steps and different amounts of cash. The $10 is for visa exemption extension without leaving Vietnam, other visas are different with different fee's, but they all should go through the district 1 place as you mentioned. If you are not familiar with HCMC, then as I said before, go to a travel agent if it is a business or visitor visa, if not go to the immigration office in district 1 and someone there can also do it for you to save you some troubles, but the price will go from $10 to about $30, remember this is only for visa exemption and not leaving the country

Jerome

I had a tourist visa that I was extending but my tourist visa was issued for a Vietnamese American (that costed $30) that was valid for 90 days. I was able to continue extending it for a year, then I had to get out of the country and come back in. But yes, each extension only cost me $10.

I had a tourist visa that I was extending but my tourist visa was issued for a Vietnamese American (that costed $30) that was valid for 90 days. I was able to continue extending it for a year, then I had to get out of the country and come back in. But yes, each extension only cost me $10. Wait, let me add, this was back in 2006/2007.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.