birdman2010

change jobs & address before the interview?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

My fiancée is thinking of quitting her full time job before the consulate interview in Guangzhou. I've advised that she keep her full time job until the K-1 visa is approved.

However she could teach part time if she resigns from her full time teaching job in July. So she would still be working, but a.) her address would change, and b.) she would be self employed.

Well, what do you think? Do you think it would be best for her to keep her currently regular full time job until the visa is actually approved, or would it hurt the application if she a.) changes jobs so that she becomes her own employer, and b.) changes her address.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

IMO, the biggest issue/problem will be the address.

THe address that is used, normally, to send out the P3 packet, was collected on the initial I-129F petition.

HOWEVER, if you are diligent (yes, you, the USC Petitioner)

and

follow my GUZ P3 shortcut (at http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/GUZ_P3_Shortcut )

then her 'new address' won't matter, as she's sending in a self-generated 'packet 3' using her new address (and they'll catch that, on the packet 3 intake/decompilation)

So, try to wrap yer head around timeticks, instead of 'interview date' , see where any holes are.

timeticks for GUZ IV

NVC sends petition to GUZ IV

Petition arrives in China

Petition is stored in bonded chinese warehouse

Petition arrives at GUZ IV

Petition is opened, casefile is opened

Tag of Packet 3 sent off to Applicant (use shortcut on this timetick, la)

Packet 3 actually sent to Applicant

Packet 3 docs received from Applicant

Packet 4 sent off to Applicant

Interview Date Scheduled

Interview Date

How to chase down these timeticks? Call NVC and DOS - see http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/264972-shortcuts-when-checking-for-updates-from-the-nvc-and-dos/ - Dodi's posted the numbers and how to call, I've posted what you can get...

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Updating your fiancée new address would not be a problem with NVC or Guangzhou as Darnell said.

As for quitting her full-time job, I do not think it would hurt her interview since it does not matter that applicants are self-employed or employed. The thing is if she is sure and confident with her life if her K-1 was not approved in case. I think it is better to keep the full-time job before she gets visa. A full-time job does not only mean much higher pays but also more benefits such as health care, housing subsidies.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Birdman2010,

I'm a K-1 not sure how much I can help, but I will always try when I think I can. After I filed the I-129-F (duriong that 5 month waiting period) my fiance decide her company's business had dropped off enough that she should find another job, she had a lucrative offer from another company (but in another province). Of, course I can't tell her "NO IT MIGHT EFFECT OR TIMELINE FOR YOUR VISA", after all who knows what that may actually be, so I aquiesed and said "if you think that is best for you go ahead".

Needless to say, the next few days I receive a letter from the USCIS that they were forwarding your application onto the NVC. Great...Now what do I do, she's not living where I said she was, packet #3 will be delivered where she no longer lives. I try to contact NVC and the Consulate to correct the address, but to no avail. Fortunately she had some room mates/apartment mates who forwarded the packet on to her at her new address. Got the packet , everything is fine now, she'll update with the new address when she returns Packet #3 nothing to worry about, right?

She worked in a bakery, after Moon Fstival ends she visits her parents in another city far away from where she worked. No problem, she's entitled to do that. Halfway back to work she gets a call from her sister, "mom's fallen and can't get up", Not exact words but same type of situation. So now Mom is rushed to the hospital, they decide she has a heart condition that needs to be addressed. Meanwhile Packet #3 was returned to the Consulate, with the updated address, of what becomes a former employer. Although Mom's fall was for an ankle injury, ends up being not her first, Heart condition, so heart surgery, and eventualy move to a rest home for recupperation (for 3-4 months). Of course, Packet #3 was okayed and Packet #4 and the interview schedule sent to another wrong address. She also had a room mate there who notified her of the package and forwarded it on.

Mom's condition was touch and go, but My finance decided to honor the date assigned at the last minute. Unfortunately she was given a Blue RFE, but that was later approved. Guess what, sent to the last address, not her parent which she had updated when she was at the consulate for her interview. Good Rooom mate again forwarded her the approval notice.

Too make a long story short. She's your love, what's going to make her happy? Be prepared for lots of hoops.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.