Captain Oates

Superstition and religion

183 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I know more superstitious people than religious people

When it comes to séances, the line becomes blurred and people believe they are communicating with relatives via heaven or spirits but there is definitely a religious twist to it

On the news this morning, a woman in Oregon was away from home when a tornado destroyed it

She was convinced that god led her away from the house before the tornado struck

They didn't ask her why god had not pushed the tornado to one side so it would destroy the house of an unbeliever instead of hers..

I suppose if we are going to have very simple minded people, then religion and superstition help to make their lives bearable and so either should not be condemned too much. Imagine being simple minded and not having religion or superstition - a bleak prospect indeed with no comfort to be had and no understanding of what is happening

However, where is the line between making religious signs with the hands and touching wood ? Are they both superstition or both religion ? Is there an essential difference ? Who is listening when they touch wood - is it the god of wood ?

I know religion when I see it

I know superstition when I see it

But how do we define the difference ?

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

It is analogous to the relationship between large corporations and small business.

In that séances are cheaper than tithing ?

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I know more superstitious people than religious people

When it comes to séances, the line becomes blurred and people believe they are communicating with relatives via heaven or spirits but there is definitely a religious twist to it

On the news this morning, a woman in Oregon was away from home when a tornado destroyed it

She was convinced that god led her away from the house before the tornado struck

They didn't ask her why god had not pushed the tornado to one side so it would destroy the house of an unbeliever instead of hers..

I suppose if we are going to have very simple minded people, then religion and superstition help to make their lives bearable and so either should not be condemned too much. Imagine being simple minded and not having religion or superstition - a bleak prospect indeed with no comfort to be had and no understanding of what is happening

However, where is the line between making religious signs with the hands and touching wood ? Are they both superstition or both religion ? Is there an essential difference ? Who is listening when they touch wood - is it the god of wood ?

I know religion when I see it

I know superstition when I see it

But how do we define the difference ?

Having faith relies on believing in something unprovable, so superstition is similar to faith in that respect. The difference between them is discernment. There is a criteria of reason (intellectual) that someone who has faith in God, to discern what is God's will, along with a certain amount of mystery. If a religious person thinks to themselves that God wants them to pick up that hundred dollar bill they see on the street and spend it, they are suspending intellectual reasoning and mystery to insert certainty of God's will into their everyday existence. That's when so-called "religious" folk start acting freaky.

Timeline

The parallels don't end there.

hum...

so superstition is a poor man's religion or even religion for non believers...

definitely not head office

I have noticed that usually the two walk hand in hand and every catholic I have known has been horrified at people opening umbrellas in the house etc....

One of my wives from the early days was incredibly superstitious and religious too - but that was after we split - I can imagine someone splitting from me would have to turn to god - either for thanks or solace and I don't know which.

Her recent communication wanted me to burn in hell and in agony forever - that was for me saying that she undermined the disciplining of the kids and that's why they ran wild. At the same time, she counts magpies from her window and if there is single one she goes to bed and quivers with fear

One for sorrow

two for joy

etc

Sure makes my final wife look good !

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Having faith relies on believing in something unprovable, so superstition is similar to faith in that respect. The difference between them is discernment. There is a criteria of reason (intellectual) that someone who has faith in God, to discern what is God's will, along with a certain amount of mystery. If a religious person thinks to themselves that God wants them to pick up that hundred dollar bill they see on the street and spend it, they are suspending intellectual reasoning and mystery to insert certainty of God's will into their everyday existence. That's when so-called "religious" folk start acting freaky.

There is no component of 'reason' at all in religion. Nothing intellectual about it and to suggest otherwise just reveals how much Kool Aid you've had.

I have noticed that usually the two walk hand in hand and every catholic I have known has been horrified at people opening umbrellas in the house etc....

Weak minds are susceptible to both.

Edited by \

Timeline

There is no component of 'reason' at all in religion. Nothing intellectual about it and to suggest otherwise just reveals how much Kool Aid you've had.

Read one of Jesus' parables sometime and tell me it is void of reason.

Timeline

Heck, they will be interpreting that god wants them to go to war and spray gasoline and petroleum jelly flame throwers on teenage boys next

Nah that's a stretch - who could believe that ?

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

The idea that there is a God is devoid of reason. All religion rests on that little nugget of nonsense.

Pascal's Wager. He was no intellectual lightweight.

Heck, they will be interpreting that god wants them to go to war and spray gasoline and petroleum jelly flame throwers on teenage boys next

Nah that's a stretch - who could believe that ?

That's just it. If one must suspend reason in order to have faith (something I strongly disagree with), then what stops nutjobs like David Koresh, or terrorists from believing that they are simply doing God's will?

Edited by 8TBVBN

Timeline

Read one of Jesus' parables sometime and tell me it is void of reason.

I wonder if big j was superstitious ?

Are there magpies in Palestine (oops the Great State of Israel) ? and does a singleton mean bad luck for certain ?

Did he throw salt over his shoulder if he broke a mirror ?

I suppose it's different if you know you are going to be crucified because 7 years bad luck doesn't really matter any more

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Timeline

The idea that there is a God is devoid of reason. All religion rests on that little nugget of nonsense.

And yet, one of the paths to enlightenment is through reason, the knowledge that Creator and Creation are one and many, yet still the same.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

Superstition: An irrational belief that an object, action, or circumstance not logically related to a course of events influences its outcome.

Religion: Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1