cherriesss

Should I Wait Until After Our 2nd Wedding Anniversary?

7 posts in this topic

The Embassy has told me:

"If you receive your immigrant visa before your second wedding anniversary, it will be issued as a Conditional Resident (CR-1 Category). However, if at all possible, you may choose to process your visa after your second wedding anniversary in order to have it issued as a Permanent Resident (IR-1 Category)."

I am ready to go with Packet 3 (DS-230, Affidavit of Support, Police Records, etc) to get the interview scheduled. My questions are:

1. Does the visa get "issued" when it is approved after the interview?

2. Or does it get "issued" when the beneficiary enters the U.S. on the date of his/her port of entry?

I am trying to figure this out to determine if I should get the interview scheduled at once or if I should wait another two months until after my 2nd wedding anniversary has taken place.

Your assistance in clarifying is very helpful, thanks.

My Visa Journey:

Dec-15-2008..... Got Married!

Aug-20-2010..... Filed I-130 at U.S. Embassy

Sep-15-2010..... NOA 1 Received

Sep-23-2010..... Packet 3 Instructions Received from U.S. Embassy

Nov-19-2010..... Packet 3 Handed in to U.S. Embassy

Nov-19-2010..... Packet 4 (Appointment Letter) Instructions Received from U.S. Embassy

Nov-20-2010..... Medical Examination Completed

Dec-06-2010..... Interview - Visa Approved!

Dec-13-2010..... Visa In Hand!

May-02-2011..... Port of Entry - IR-1

May-16-2011..... Social Security Card Received

May-21-2011..... Green Card Received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

there are 2 opportunities, 2 events, 2 timeticks, to get the IR-1 designation -

measure the time gap between marriage and event, see which one works best for you

1. interview day or

2. POE day

Interview day is 'easier'

POE day is a bit harder, must wrangle a bit at POE with sometimes brain-dead CBP employees. You could get CR-1 visa designation in passport at Embassy, but get IR-1 category at the POE, but must wrangle at POE.

FWIW, you can delay sending back the DS-230 set to the Embassy - you have about 1 year from I-130 approval to Interview day, to submit all of the stuff they want for Visa Application/DS-230 set.

Ny wife and I waited, we're playing the IR-1 game - we both think it's superior to the CR-1 visa - no further involvement with USCIS for 10 years, after POE.

Good Luck, whichever you decide !

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Thanks, Darnell.

Is it even possible when I submit the Packet 3 checklist to the Embassy that I request that my interview take place after "x" date (my wedding anniversary) or am I on crack to even think it would be possible to put in that request?

I just don't want to have to wait longer, and want to get this whole process over with ASAP (in which case, I suppose we'll have to do the POE timetick).

Edited by cherriesss

My Visa Journey:

Nov-19-2010..... Packet 4 (Appointment Letter) Instructions Received from U.S. Embassy

Timeline

absolutely possible - just include cover letter, asking for the date or date range you want.

Don't forget about holiday schedule for end of year, though -

Good Luck !

(ps - there's crack in Panama? On No ! )

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Great news!

Would I include that cover letter with the check list I send back with the Packet 3 checklist signed?

Will keep the holidays in mind. :)

(crack is whack!)

My Visa Journey:

Timeline

Would I include that cover letter with the check list I send back with the Packet 3 checklist signed? YES .

THANKS! :)

My Visa Journey:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.