MattCali

DCF Bogota, Colombia

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

So, there doesn't seem to be much information here about the DCF process in Colombia and the Embassy itself is so disorganized that getting the right information out of them is next to impossible. Still, the process itself is quite simple and may be the fastest in the world. I married my wife in 2009 and have been living in Colombia on a spouse visa for over a year now.

First, you need to buy a Pin and use it to call the embassy to set up an appointment to file the I-130 Petition. They only accept them Tuesdays at 1:00 pm. The Pin is $15. I suggest you and use a US credit card to purchase it over the phone.

I live in Cali, but flew to Bogota in the morning and flew out the same day. Aires has great deals on flights. You can go alone or bring your spouse. They don't need to come, though, so if you have to fly there, you should save the money and go alone.

When you get to the embassy, they will give you a folder with a list inside telling you to put the following inside in this order:

-Completed and signed I-130 petition

-Petitioner's passport and a copy of the bio page.

-Form G325 for both you and your spouse.

-1 passport sized photo for each of you(5x5 cm 2x2 in white background) (there are lots of places outside to take them, they'll tell you 10.000 pesos to take them, I got one to do it for 6)

-Marriage Certificate with translation (If it's not in English - even Spanish, you must translate it. You can do it yourself as I did)

-Birth Certificate of the person you are filing the petition for with translation

-Divorce certs/ deceased report with translations

-Proof of residency in Colombia. (I gave them a copy of my spouse visa)

They didn't ask for my wife's passport or a copy of her bio page, but I gave them a copy and they kept it, so you might as well.

The process was relatively painless except for the wait. We were attended in the order we arrived along with others doing other various immigrant visas. A Colombian lady who didn't speak English very well looked over it and stapled some things together, and I was then called to pay the fee of $355.

This is important: DO NOT PAY IN PESOS!!! Change them at the airport or anywhere. The embassy changes them at a rate of 2400 to 1 dollar, but the official rate right now is 1870. I got 1960 at the airport saving me almost $100. You can also pay with a credit card, which would be the best option. I could not verify that before I went, but they DO accept them.

After that, I and the other couple there to file a petition, had to wait until everyone else was attended and finally we were called. The woma - an American - was very nice and apologized for the wait and for the embassy's disorder. She said everything looked great and started to hand me paperwork. The wild thing is, she was handing me the package with the ds-2100 and ds-230 and the visa appointment package with all the info for the medical exams, etc. She started to hand me the I-864 and said that I don't qualify to sponsor my wife because I live here in Colombia, but I said that my brother-in-law will sponsor me, so she said I didn't even need that part.

Apparently, the Bogota Embassy does all the processing themselves without sending it off. She said they would review the paperwork and that when I am ready, I can fax or email them the ds-2100 and ds-230. She said If I were to send it the day after filing the petition, I would have the interview for the very next month. One month from date petition filed to the interview with visa in hand 2-3 days afterward is fantastic.

I did receive the somber news that I must pay $404 when I return, but that is mitigated by the fact that I don't have to pay for AOS in a year. I asked if I could go to the US in December for a month, and then go to live permanently in July of 2011 after I finish my work contract and my wife finishes her degree - we would be out for less than 6 months - and she said it's no problem as long as I make it back within a year.

Apparently, lots of Colombians use immigrant visas like tourist visas only going once a year to keep the status. I am dubious about this and don't really trust what she said.

All in all, I can say that immigrant side of Bogota Embassy is infinitely better than the non-immigrant side. I'll post a report about what happens when I go for the 2nd interview with my wife, which by the way she I do not actually need to attend.

Edited by MattCali

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline

Apparently, lots of Colombians use immigrant visas like tourist visas only going once a year to keep the status. I am dubious about this and don't really trust what she said.

All in all, I can say that immigrant side of Bogota Embassy is infinitely better than the non-immigrant side. I'll post a report about what happens when I go for the 2nd interview with my wife, which by the way she I do not actually need to attend.

This is anectodal, of course, but I know several Columbians who use their green cards as tourist visas :) Twice a year they fly to the West Coast and stay for 2 weeks; 2 other times they just fly into Miami and stay for one day.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Wow very faster and interesting it process for Bogota, but maybe important point is that US citizie must living or work in Colombia and for job is doesn`t our case(CR1IR1).

Anyway Congratulation!!!

K-3/K-4 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Bogota, Colombia

Marriage : 2008-08-30

I-130 Sent : 2009-10-20

I-130 NOA1 : 2009-10-30

I-129F Sent : 2009-11-06

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-11-10

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-02-23

Your I-129f was approved in 105 days from your NOA1 date.

I-130 Approval : 2010-02-23

Your I-130 was approved in 116 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC Received :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Comments : Received email notice on 2/24/2010 for I-129F and I-130 approvals. No NOA2s yet by mail.

MattCali, thanks for the information! I will be filing the I-130 for my wife here at the start of next month at the Bogotá Embassy. I am also living here in Colombian and working for a company online in the USA. I am wondering if they will require the Affidavit of Support also, I do not qualify but I have someone who is willing to joint sponsor with me. What was the $404 dollars for when you return? Make sure to keep us updated!

• 10 months later...

MattCali, thanks for the information! I will be filing the I-130 for my wife here at the start of next month at the Bogotá Embassy. I am also living here in Colombian and working for a company online in the USA. I am wondering if they will require the Affidavit of Support also, I do not qualify but I have someone who is willing to joint sponsor with me. What was the $404 dollars for when you return? Make sure to keep us updated!

Hello did you find out if someone else can file the support affadavit, is it then necessary to file tax returns

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.