Iris&Norman

Uncertain, the use of letter n with tilde (ñ) on documents.

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Have enjoyed the helpful and sometimes humorous threads here in the Philippines forum… Thanks. We are confused and somewhat in disagreement how to proceed and I have been directed to seek advice... Anyone experienced with the tilde mark as used in the Philippines is welcome to assist. Just like Spanish, as an accent over the letter (n) to add the (y) sound. The (ñ). And I am referring to Philippine style English here not Tagalog or Visayan etc and certainly not Spanish... Have tried searching the forums and elsewhere.

Fiancée’s middle name has a letter ñ.... Well sort of... She had always used it that way on TOR and ID cards... Just got authenticated copy of Birth Certificate - no tilde included on her middle name, however, a tilde was included on her mother's maiden last name on the same document.... So - now it is time for a passport application and the options abound on how to proceed, with or without the tilde (n or ñ). The confusion started before filing I-129F; we (ok, I) did not include a tilde as we‘re talking English here… Just a Roman character with an accent mark was my conclusion. Not on old BC copy = don't use at all. Awww the good old days filling out the I-129F, hours researching the use of NA, na, N/A, n/a, None, NONE, none etc….

So, Iris has been informed she should submit an affidavit with her Philippine passport application explaining that the person named with and without the tilde is same person, thus documenting her middle name has the tilde, just like mom’s maiden last…. She wants the tilde! Right now! Seriously. She could possibly be as stubborn as I… I am sure I'd feel the same way. The BC is wrong! She loves me. I love her. So far away… Anyways, I much prefer all documents to match: NBI, CENOMAR, Passport, BC, Visa App (DS -156K) and of course the already submitted I-129F which I labored over for 100's of hours… Opinions? So - will it matter if no tilde was on the I-129F (and supporting documents) then all of a sudden (meaning many long months later) there is a tilde on other documents? Seems modification to BC is not so unusual in the Philippines based on other threads. Change BC or just use affidavit to secure passport? Secure IDs without tilde based upon flawed BC to obtain flawed passport? Seems maybe more prudent to pursue correction of the birth certificate first... Will the Philippines actually print the name with the tilde ñ on the passport if used (first-hand knowledge appreciated)? Ideas? Friends... Nice suggestions? Thanks.

July 26 '09 I-129F Petition Sent

Oct 6 '09 Petition Approved

November 6 '09 Medical Complete

November 12 '09 Interview Complete

November 19 '09 Visa Delivered

November 25 '09 POE

February 6 '10 Married

September 30 '10 AOS App sent - crazy overloaded!

December 13 '10 AP Email notice

December 17 '10 EAD Hardcopy received. Yeah!

My address has ñ . ( Las Piñas City) I never used letter N to substitute the letter ñ .

As far as our papers are concern?, we did fine.

F2A

Petitioner (My Mom)

Beneficiary (My Sister 18 y.o)

06-07-19- Sent I-130

06-11-19- NOA1

02-19-20- "Initial Review, Transferred to another Visa Center"

03-11-20- APPROVED!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My middle name has ñ, when i applied to get a passport,the encoder told me that ñ is not recognized internationally so he just put n instead,..my BC, NBI, CENOMAR and my TRO has ñ.When we applied for 129-f i still put the ñ coz i want it to match with my BC,NBI etc and everything went fine...

August 21, 2008: I-129F sent

August 30, 2008: NOA1

February 02, 2009: NOA2

March 2-3, 2009: Medical at St. Luke's

March 19, 2009: interview US Embassy- Manila

March 24, 2009: Visa received

April 02, 2009: CFO at PRISM

June 30, 2009: Dylan & Douglas enter USA together POE Chicago

July 3, 2009: applied for marriage license

July 7, 2009: got Married and received marriage certificate

July 28, 2009: SSN received

AOS

August 19, 2009: AOS sent

August 25, 2009: NOA (AP,EAD,AOS)

August 31, 2009: received Biometrics appointment for AOS & EAD (dated Aug.27,2009)

Sept.18, 2009: Case transferred to CSC

Sept.24, 2009: Biometrics Appointment

Sept.28,2009: EAD & AP Approval

Oct. 5,2009: received EAD card & AP (mail)

Nov.5,2009: AOS approved( 72days from NOA)

Nov. 13, 2009: GC received(mail)

Removing Conditions I-751

Sept. 20,2011: Sent I-751 Petition to remove conditions

June 2012: 10 year GC approved

N400 Naturalization

August 16,2012 : Sent N400

August 31, 2012 : early Biometrics

Meryll's passport has the Spanish ñwith the diacritical tilde. But on all the documents we used the English n as stated somewhere on the documents.

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Thanks - we appreciate the help.

July 26 '09 I-129F Petition Sent

Oct 6 '09 Petition Approved

November 6 '09 Medical Complete

November 12 '09 Interview Complete

November 19 '09 Visa Delivered

November 25 '09 POE

February 6 '10 Married

September 30 '10 AOS App sent - crazy overloaded!

December 13 '10 AP Email notice

December 17 '10 EAD Hardcopy received. Yeah!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

my surname has tilde too , from bc to school records , i write my name as such in all forms i filled up , when i applied for my passport i wrote the same and when i got my passport it is a letter n .

• 3 years later...
Timeline

My middle name has ñ, when i applied to get a passport,the encoder told me that ñ is not recognized internationally so he just put n instead,..my BC, NBI, CENOMAR and my TRO has ñ.When we applied for 129-f i still put the ñ coz i want it to match with my BC,NBI etc and everything went fine...

Hi! How are you? Can you help me? I have also the same case.. I have an "Ñ" on my surname.. my BC and passport has "Ñ" on it. Now, I am filling-up my DS Forms, I'm confused if I'll put Ñ or N.. I know in DS-156 it has an instruction to put only N since it is electronic, but how about in other forms? Like DS-156K, DS-157 and D-230? Thanks.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Very old thread you are posting in, not sure you will get any responses from the person you posted to.

I will add this to hopefully help. You are applying for a U.S. visa, all documents must be in English. Being the DS-156 does not accept anything but English, you should complete the additional forms in English as well.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.