Leo&Farah

The Malaysian VJ Thread

587 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Well I've done some searching and can't for the life of me find a thread dedicated to Malaysians to share their visa journey woes, worries, experiences, concerns, questions.

So gonna start this up and hopefully it takes off to help ease the minds of fellow Malaysians by giving them knowledge in uncertainty. Hopefully this will make things easier.

So far, all I have seen is a few threads swimming around. So let's get this going.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VJ SPECIFIC

This is the Malaysian US Embassy review:

For reviews on K1, K3, CR1 experiences. Select 'Malaysia' under Consulate drop box

This is a list of Malaysian VJ members.

Yay!

This is the Malaysian portal page.

To view newest members, latest posts by members, hottest topics.

This is the Malaysian US Embassy information.

For list of medical places, shots needed, packet contents and general country specific embassy information.

MALAYSIAN GENERAL

This is the US Embassy in Malaysia.

In Kuala Lumpur.

This is where you download the form and instructions for Certificate of Good Conduct.

It now says the US Embassy won't accept the speedier one day version.

This is medical information for medicals at the US Embassy.

List of panel physicians in East Malaysia and Peninsular as well as vaccinations requirements.

IGOR'S LIST

This is the old Igor's list for VSC.

Covers K1 and K3.

This is the old Igor's list for CSC.

Covers K1 and K3.

This is the new Igor's list.

Filter for CSC and VSC, K1 or K3 or IR-1/CR-1, unapproved and approved.

GENERAL

This is where you download USCIS forms.

Also where you can double check editions of forms based on date and edition to ensure they are up to date.

This is the 2009 poverty guidelines.

Required for affidavit of support and needs to satisfy 125%.

This is where you can track your case online.

Once you have a case number after petition is sent. Note: They don't seem efficient in updating it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So if anyone has any country specific questions about the Malaysian embassy relating to either visa, please direct them here and hopefully someone who has gone through the process can enlighten you. Same goes for any general questions, or simply introducing yourselves and sticking together.

N-400 Stuff:
07/02/16 : N-400 sent

07/11/16 : NOA1

07/28/16 : Biometrics

04/03/17: Interview (approved)

04/14/17: Judicial oath ceremony

• 2 weeks later...

Yay for Malaysia! :dance: :dance: :dance::) There's not so many Malaysian-American cpl on here though, but I'm glad that you start this thread. People in general do indeed band together, i guess its the shared experience on the micro level ;) and much as you try, you would still feel left out.. :) All the best on your journey and just make sure u have all the papers ready, you will be fine. :)

Farha

Edited by faryan
.png

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

So, quick questions for Malaysians that have gotten their visas-

How picky was the embassy in KL about financial proof ie, with regards to 1-134 or 1-184. Did they demand all 3 years tax returns, or if tax returns did not prove income well, were they fine with just pay stubs and letter from employer? Did they ask for a co-sponsor and co-sponsor proof of citizenship? Or did they not even bring it up? How thorough were they on financial support of the visa?

N-400 Stuff:

Timeline

Yah, I was thinking how nice it would be to pin a thread like this since embassy reviews are so scarce in Malaysia portal.

N-400 Stuff:

Timeline

Thought I would add this in for future frame of reference regarding the I-134 as per reply from KL US embassy.

Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 9:56 AM

To: Kuala Lumpur U. S. Embassy, Malaysia

Subject: I-134 supporting documentation

Dear Sir/Madam,

My fiance and I will be applying for a K1 visa soon and are aware that an affidavit of support, form I-134 is needed for the interview stage. We would like to inquire about the embassy's policy on the minimum supporting documentation needed such as pay stubs, letter from employer, how many years of income tax returns, bank statements etc.

Will one year of recent (2008) tax return suffice insofar as tax returns are needed?

Thank you for your time.

HI,

Minimum supporting documents can be like latest tax return, current pay slip or latest employment letter.

Regards,

Consular Section

Immigrant Visa Unit

American Embassy

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

N-400 Stuff:

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Congrats Farah! Saw that you got your own NOA2! :)

Good to know that there are fellow Malaysians going through this looooong process.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency

07/09/2017 - filed N400 online

07/10/2017 - NOA

08/03/2017 - biometrics done

02/20/2018 - interview & oath ceremony

Timeline

Hi Bsze! I saw your thread about the K1 package but didn't have much input and its rude to hijack someone's advice thread just to say "Hi fellow Malaysian!". But I can do it here. Hi fellow Malaysian!

Good luck with your process. If you need a template of how the K1 package should be assembled, I can send one to you in word format. Someone was very kind to us when we first started on VJ and sent us theirs. And since he had been working as a US government official for many years, it was beastly and incredibly error free.

We used it, and it worked.

Oh and there are about 3 other K1's this year I think. Jeff and Lyn, James and Hannah, Scott and LC. All seemed to be approved. I started this thread since there are so few of us and consulate specific information might come in handy here since the consulate information info on VJ is not as detailed.

N-400 Stuff:

Timeline

Hey Farah!

That would be very helpful! Would you need my email or is it possible to attach documents through VJ?

My fiance is sending in the package next Monday and I'm totally stressing out about it. We didn't travel out of the country (mostly in-state travel) much when we were together, so we don't have passport stamps, itineraries or hotel receipts. In fact, he doesn't even have a passport yet! Understandably, I'm a little concerned about primary evidence and about building a strong case.

Thanks so much for your help!

07/10/2017 - NOA

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Information about Police Certificate/Letter of Good Conduct:

You can get a police certificate (in Malaysia is it called Letter of Good Conduct or Sijil Kelakuan Baik) from Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

http://www.kln.gov.my/

Download the form under 'Quick Downloads" called 'Letter of Good Conduct for Malaysians".

They will ask for some passport pictures, and other documentation which will need to be certified. You can certify them at any Commissioner of Oath near you. I did it for RM2 per copy.

The process takes anywhere between 1-2 months. Do not go directly to Putrajaya to get the certificate as the 'same day certificate' from there is not valid or accepted at the US Embassy Malaysia (please read Malaysian Embassy information on this site).

http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/inde...&cty=Lumpur

If you have any problems with the certificate or want to check if they received it, call 03-8874100. A lady called Maria should be there and she can confirm if they received your application and give you a reference number.

For emergencies (try not to call this number too much) you can speak directly to the lady in charge of this. Her name is Puan Umi at 03-88874264.

N-400 Stuff:

Timeline

Dang, I got my stuff certified for twice the price. Someone told me it would take 6 months, so I got started on it as soon as I could. Was a little doubtful about the time, thanks for clarifying!

07/10/2017 - NOA

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Niue
Timeline
Congrats Farah! Saw that you got your own NOA2! :)

Good to know that there are fellow Malaysians going through this looooong process.

Hi Farah!

Thank you very much for starting this thread! I am very new to this website sooo I am glad to find you here! My fiance and I are applying for K1 Visa. I have a few questions, how you can help us with this.

1) Can you explain the steps to get K1 Visa and how long it'll take to get the visa?

2) Can you also email us the template of how to assemble the K1 package? my email address is suegee.cheng@hotmail.com

3) I heard that it'll take a year to get the K1 visa, is there any other visa I can get just to see him?

Thanks.

Timeline

Hi Sueg N AZ,

1. I recommend reading the guides here for the step by step process several times till you memorize it. That's what we had to do. After a few times, it started making more sense and the jargon of form numbers and acronyms sounded less intimidating. If you have questions regarding the K1, it's useful to do a search on the forum using keywords because more often than not, it has been asked and covered many times. If you are still unsure or feel your situation is particularly unique, make a post and be specific about your question. I don't mean to sound so "read-the-guides" type, but they really do help and there's no sense posting things twice.

This is the K1 visa guide.

This is the K1 flow chart. (It really helps to see it this way all laid out and broken up into steps)

As for how long it'll take, well it took us about 4 months to get approved and another 2 months till interview date I am guessing. So average time you are looking at is probably 6 months. At CSC, things should move by faster too.

2. Sure thing.

3. K1 should take 6 months. To see him you could apply for B2 tourist visa but its very hard to get. You have to prove you will come back to Malaysia which is very hard to do, especially if you're single. Things they will look at is, family, job, income, length of work, property etc. 6 months is not a very long time and it's worth it, so I would not fret too much. If anything, it will be easier for your fiance to come down to Malaysian to visit.

N-400 Stuff:

Timeline

I believe that US citizens do not require a visa to visit Malaysia. So it will be easier for him to visit you, in that he does not have to go through an extra hurdle. Too bad Malaysia is not a VMP country because we require a visa to enter the US.

Also, we received the NOA1 hard copy today! WOOHOO. Any progress is better than no progress! :D

P.S. Here's to a speedy and smooth interview for you, Farah! Is Leo coming down to be with you for the interview?

Edited by Bsze

07/10/2017 - NOA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.