AustinJohn

Interview through HCMC consulate

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Here is the story of my fiancee's interview and our experience at the consulate general in Ho Chi Minh City.

Before the interview: I flew into HCMC 2 days before the interview scheduled for August 24th. After going through my fiancee's papers the day before the interview, I realized that she was missing one of the required documents, the Police Certificate from her region of residence. We could not get it in time for the interview, so I told her that she didn't need to worry about pink or blue, she was definitely getting blue because of the missing document. I told her that after the interview, we would get the police certificate and everything would be fine. That night, we went to a local tailor in HCMC and bought a new professional looking outfit for her to wear for the interview.

The interview: Her scheduled time was 9am. We arrived at 8am and she got in line outside. She was feeling confident and at ease even though she knew that she was getting blue because of the missing paper. She heads into the consulate and I wait across the street where everyone hangs out; no loitering is allowed on the sidewalk in front of the consulate. I talked to some Vietnamese people waiting there and they kindly complimented my Vietnamese which I have been studying for 10 months. About 11:30am, my fiancee comes out of the consulate in tears. She tells me that they didn't believe what she told them about our relationship and they told her that her evidence was not believable. She said that they didn't believe that I could speak Vietnamese. She told them that I was waiting outside and they could question me in person. The CO got angry at this point and said that was unacceptable and handed her the blue sheet. I try to calm her down and quickly get a taxi. We head to the hotel and on the way, I call up Marc Ellis and tell him that I would like to meet with him. I was shocked at what my fiancee said and thought that legal help was definitely a good idea. The blue sheet stated that there were missing documents AND the consulate officer didn't believe that the relationship was bona-fide. The blue sheet vaguely advises us to submit additional documents in support of our bona-fide relationship. No specific missing documents were quoted even though I knew that she didn't have the required police certificate.

Meeting with lawyer, Marc Ellis: We meet with Marc Ellic at 1:30pm the day of the interview. My fiancee has calmed down by now after I repeatedly told her that the people in the consulate are crazy. Mr. Ellis tells me that interviewees who don't speak English are at the mercy of the translators. Marc Ellis advises me to arrange a time to go into the consulate and meet with the CO and ask what is needed to gain the pink slip. After hearing my fiancee go through the details of the interview with Mr. Ellis, the interview sounded unprofessional and dysfunctional. The translator sounded like she taunted my fiancee by telling her "take complaints to window #1." Also, I didn't understand why the CO would get angry.

Follow-up trip to the consulate: After obtaining the police certificate, I go into the consulate alone on the following Friday, August 31st. I take a seat and wait for them to call me. The Vietnamese national working at window 1 calls me up and asks for me to submit any evidence in support of the blue slip. I ask her what is needed. She says that she doesn't know. I give her the police certificate and ask to talk to a consulate officer in person. She tells me that they are only available by appointment. I told her that I had talked to the security guard outside the evening before at 4pm and the information person this morning at 8:30 am and neither one of them had told me that I needed an appointment. I had been very specific with them about wanting to meet with an American CO. I firmly told her that I wanted to speak with an American CO. The lady leaves her chair and returns about a minute later. She tells me to wait at window 9. I go to window 9. No one is there. A lady walks up to the window and asks me what I want. I tell her that the representative at window 1 told me to wait at window 9 because I need to talk to a CO. She asks me if I made an appointment; I again told her no and made an explanation similar to previous representative. I again demanded to speak with an American CO. She asks me to wait just a moment. Another lady comes to the window. She tells me that I need to make an appointment to see a CO. Explanation again and demand to see an American CO. She tells me that I must wait to be called and there is no guarantee that I will be seen today. The consular services are only open from 1pm to 3pm. At 2:50pm, I have not been seen and I'm starting to worry. I pace back and forth in front of the windows looking for a CO on the other side. I see one chatting at the entrance of a cubicle with someone that I can't see. He looks relaxed and is eating a snack. I knock on the window and wave at him. He waves back motions for me to wait. After a couple of minutes, he approaches window 9, I approach the window as well. He says, "Are you John?" I tell him yes and ask politely to talk to him for 5 minutes. He asks me how I know my fiance's relative from the U.S. He then asks me for my fiancee's passport. I ask him if he needs to see any other evidence. He says, "No, when I ask for the passport, you are clear for the visa." He hands me the pink sheet and I go outside. My fiancee sees me holding the pink sheet while crossing the street and starts jumping up and down in excitement. We obtained the visa the following Wednesday.

John

9/26/2006 Met online

12/24/2006 - 1/6/2007 Visited Fiancee in VN

12/31/2006 Engagement ceremony

2/1/2007 Mailed I-129

2/12/2007 NOA-1

5/2/2007 NOA-2

5/21/2007 NVC received I-129

6/6/2007 - 6/28/2007 Visited Fiancee in VN

6/9/2007 Wedding Ceremony in VN; no paperwork

6/11/2007 - 6/18/2007 Honeymoon in Nha Trang and Dalat

6/29/2007 Packet 3 received (in person)

6/29/2007 Packet 3 returned to consulate (in person)

7/30/2007 Packet 4 received

8/22/2007 John arrived in Vietnam for interview

8/24/2007 Interview - blue slip

8/31/2007 Pink slip

9/5/2007 Visa granted

9/6/2007 POE

9/12/2007 Wedding in U.S.

11/30/2007 Mailed AOS paperwork.

12/26/2008 Biometrics

Here is the story of my fiancee's interview and our experience at the consulate general in Ho Chi Minh City.

John

I am happy for both of you. Congrats!

Best wishes!

2007k1

------------------------------

My timeline:

1st time we met: 05-19-2005

2nd time we met: 12-14-2006

I-129F sent: 05-01-2007

NOA1: 05-09-2007

NOA2: 09-29-2007

(145 days from NOA1 to NOA2)

NVC: 11/05/2007

(38 days from NOA2 to NVC)

NVC to Consulate: 12-10-2007

(35 days at NVC)

Consulate received NOA2: 12-12-2007

Consulate sent Package 3: 01-02-2008

Pick up Package 3: 01-28-2008

Consulate received Package 3: 01-28-2008

------------------------------

Thanks for the review John! I can't believe the ordeal they put you through at that consulate. I have a feeling I will be put the ringer as well. Thanks for the report and goog luck to you and yours!

06-29-09 received GC in mail

4-18-11 mailed I-751 CSC

CIS Office : California Service Center

Date Filed : 2011-04-18

NOA Date Received : 2011-06-06

Date on NOA: 2011-04-22

Bio. Appt. : 2011-06-24

Had to make an Info Pass appointment because there was a delay in receiving the NOA for our I-751. Never found out the reason for the delay but they gave Thao a 1 year green card stamp in her passport and we got a the NOA 2 days later.

Approved: 2011-09-23

Notice sent: 2011-09-28

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Thanks for the review John! I can't believe the ordeal they put you through at that consulate. I have a feeling I will be put the ringer as well. Thanks for the report and goog luck to you and yours!

Be prepared. It is a hostile environment and probably not what you would expect as an American citizen.

John

9/26/2006 Met online

12/24/2006 - 1/6/2007 Visited Fiancee in VN

12/31/2006 Engagement ceremony

2/1/2007 Mailed I-129

2/12/2007 NOA-1

5/2/2007 NOA-2

5/21/2007 NVC received I-129

6/6/2007 - 6/28/2007 Visited Fiancee in VN

6/9/2007 Wedding Ceremony in VN; no paperwork

6/11/2007 - 6/18/2007 Honeymoon in Nha Trang and Dalat

6/29/2007 Packet 3 received (in person)

6/29/2007 Packet 3 returned to consulate (in person)

7/30/2007 Packet 4 received

8/22/2007 John arrived in Vietnam for interview

8/24/2007 Interview - blue slip

8/31/2007 Pink slip

9/5/2007 Visa granted

9/6/2007 POE

9/12/2007 Wedding in U.S.

11/30/2007 Mailed AOS paperwork.

12/26/2008 Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.