reeses16

I-134 as a student

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Hi, everyone. Many months ago I was worrying over whether or not I needed a co-sponsor. Turns out I didn't! I realize that this is only what happened in my case, it may not prove true for everyone, but I thought it was worth sharing.

My situation was the following:

-No one was willing/able to Co-sponsor for me

-I am a graduate student

-I filled taxes and made more than 125% the poverty level in 2006 via a fellowship program (in school)

-I filled taxes in 2005- did not EARN in WAGES above 125% (in school)

-I didn't file taxes in 2004- because I didn't earn and $ and was not required to do so by law. (in school)

In our application Iincluded (1) the letter from my bank, (2) a print out of the last 15 deposits in my bank account listing my paycheck (my fellowship does not issue W2's or pay stubs), (3) my H&RBlock 2006 tax return copy with a note stating that my 2006 were not yet available (when I requested them in March they weren't), (4) for 2005 I included my tax transcript from the IRS, as well as my finacial aid statement from the university and my loan disbursment from Sallie Mae, I demonstrated that the money I recieved total more than 125% of poverty guidline and included a copy of the IRS webpage on taxable income for students (http://www.irs.gov/individuals/students/article/0,,id=96674,00.html ), with a note that loans are not taxable, (5) I did the same for 2004 and explained I was not required by law to file taxes, and finally (6) I included a letter from my fellowship coordinator (~employee letter) stating the amount of my stipend, the fact that it was taxable, my appointment was full-time, I was funded through fall 2008 with my continued enrollment in school. I also included a copy of my contract with the fellowship program.

For our embassy I was required to submitt all 3yrs of tax returns. I think the fellowship letter and contract are what made my case to be the sole sponsor. I think the embassy is most concerned with your most recent tax returns.

Filed: Timeline

reeses,

Nicely done and thanks for the post. This is a good example of how to prepare a financial package designed to show one's situation in an advantageous way, not just fill in the blanks of an I-134.

I am curious to know why you say that the fellowship letter and contract are what made your case (I agree), but then go on to say that they are most concerned about your most recent tax returns. Which is it that you think is most important - the documentation of your current an future income (the letter and contract), or the documentation of your past income (the tax returns)?

Yodrak

Hi, everyone. Many months ago I was worrying over whether or not I needed a co-sponsor. Turns out I didn't! I realize that this is only what happened in my case, it may not prove true for everyone, but I thought it was worth sharing.

My situation was the following:

-No one was willing/able to Co-sponsor for me

-I am a graduate student

-I filled taxes and made more than 125% the poverty level in 2006 via a fellowship program (in school)

-I filled taxes in 2005- did not EARN in WAGES above 125% (in school)

-I didn't file taxes in 2004- because I didn't earn and $ and was not required to do so by law. (in school)

In our application Iincluded (1) the letter from my bank, (2) a print out of the last 15 deposits in my bank account listing my paycheck (my fellowship does not issue W2's or pay stubs), (3) my H&RBlock 2006 tax return copy with a note stating that my 2006 were not yet available (when I requested them in March they weren't), (4) for 2005 I included my tax transcript from the IRS, as well as my finacial aid statement from the university and my loan disbursment from Sallie Mae, I demonstrated that the money I recieved total more than 125% of poverty guidline and included a copy of the IRS webpage on taxable income for students (http://www.irs.gov/individuals/students/article/0,,id=96674,00.html ), with a note that loans are not taxable, (5) I did the same for 2004 and explained I was not required by law to file taxes, and finally (6) I included a letter from my fellowship coordinator (~employee letter) stating the amount of my stipend, the fact that it was taxable, my appointment was full-time, I was funded through fall 2008 with my continued enrollment in school. I also included a copy of my contract with the fellowship program.

For our embassy I was required to submitt all 3yrs of tax returns. I think the fellowship letter and contract are what made my case to be the sole sponsor. I think the embassy is most concerned with your most recent tax returns.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Cameroon
Timeline

Congratulations on the approval, time to celebrate!!!!!! :jest::jest:

What else happened at the interview were there a lot of questions, did they inform you of how long it will take to receive the visa?

Thanks for sharing your story.

Again Congratulations :dance::dance::dance:

I-130

03-17-07 Mailed

03-23-07 Recvd fwd to CSC NOA1

03-27-07 Update

APPROVED 09-05-07

09-06-07 Update

09-10-07 NOA2 in mail

I-129F

04-04-07 Mailed

04-24-07 Updated Recvd NBC NOA1

04-26-07 Update

05-08-07 Update

05-11-07 Update trnsfr to CSC

05-15-07 Update

05-17-07 Recvd trnsfr letter in mail

06-05-07 Update case pending @ CSC

06-06-07 Update

APPROVED 09-05-07

09-06-07 Update

09-10-07 NOA2 in mail

09-27-07 Arrived at NVC

10-06-07 NVC notice via mail

10-31-07 Mailed to the Embassy

11-04-07 Recvd at the Embassy

02-20-08 Medical Appointment

03-11-08 Redo Police record

04-11-08 Interview

02-17-09 Interview

06-04-09 redo medical & Police Record

06-09-09 Resubmit info @ Embassy

ADMINISTRATIVE REVIEW

A Dream is a Wish your Heart Makes

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Thanks for the reply Yodrak. You make a very good point. I'm not entirely sure which had more weight the fellowship letter & contract or the tax returns. I began receiving a stipend from my fellowship in August...this is what caused meet & exceed 125% of the poverty guidelines (stipend paid Aug.- Sept). So in my case the fellowship helped me on both points. I would think current and future earnings would be more important than tax returns. For example, if someone had been previously married and was not employeed outside the home but after divorce they found employment and their current and projected income exceeds the poverty guidelines it stands to reason that this person should be eligible to be the sole sponsor if their employer is willing to provide the necessary supporting documentation. Further, I knew I couldn't do anything about my past tax returns so I focused on proving my current and future income.

reeses,

Nicely done and thanks for the post. This is a good example of how to prepare a financial package designed to show one's situation in an advantageous way, not just fill in the blanks of an I-134.

I am curious to know why you say that the fellowship letter and contract are what made your case (I agree), but then go on to say that they are most concerned about your most recent tax returns. Which is it that you think is most important - the documentation of your current an future income (the letter and contract), or the documentation of your past income (the tax returns)?

Yodrak

Filed: Timeline

reeses,

Thanks for the additional comments. And again - nicely done.

Yodrak

Thanks for the reply Yodrak. You make a very good point. I'm not entirely sure which had more weight the fellowship letter & contract or the tax returns. I began receiving a stipend from my fellowship in August...this is what caused meet & exceed 125% of the poverty guidelines (stipend paid Aug.- Sept). So in my case the fellowship helped me on both points. I would think current and future earnings would be more important than tax returns. For example, if someone had been previously married and was not employeed outside the home but after divorce they found employment and their current and projected income exceeds the poverty guidelines it stands to reason that this person should be eligible to be the sole sponsor if their employer is willing to provide the necessary supporting documentation. Further, I knew I couldn't do anything about my past tax returns so I focused on proving my current and future income.

reeses,

Yodrak

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.