dayana_1313

Regarding AOS status after divorce

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Hello, I'd like some advice regarding my situation if anyone can help. Basically me ex is the US citizen and I came to the US on a K-1 visa several months ago. We got married right away, but unfortunately things didnt work out for a number of reasons. To make a long story short, I returned to my home country in South America a week ago because I wanted to be with my family. We filled out the paperwork for the Adjustment of Status and work permit after we got married, but I never received them. I never plan to go back to the U.S. so I dont care about the AOS or work permit. But my question is, am I supposed to write to USCIS to let them know I wont be needing the residency anymore. Can my ex do this for me back in the states? We arent sure about this, so can someone give us advice? By the way, I did do the biometrics when I was in NY, but I'm not sure if that matters anyway. Thank you for your help.

Filed: Timeline
Hello, I'd like some advice regarding my situation if anyone can help. Basically me ex is the US citizen and I came to the US on a K-1 visa several months ago. We got married right away, but unfortunately things didnt work out for a number of reasons. To make a long story short, I returned to my home country in South America a week ago because I wanted to be with my family. We filled out the paperwork for the Adjustment of Status and work permit after we got married, but I never received them. I never plan to go back to the U.S. so I dont care about the AOS or work permit. But my question is, am I supposed to write to USCIS to let them know I wont be needing the residency anymore. Can my ex do this for me back in the states? We arent sure about this, so can someone give us advice? By the way, I did do the biometrics when I was in NY, but I'm not sure if that matters anyway. Thank you for your help.

If you anticipate travelling to the USA anytime in the future as a visitor, it would be wise to withdraw your application for adjustment. If you and your spouse, separately, notify USCIS that you will not be proceeding with permanent residency, that would cover all bases, for you in terms of being perceived as merely a visitor in the future, he in terms of potential sponsor issues if they should become germane, in the future.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.