MicheleUS & JohnUK

Just stared I-130 process in the UK DCF.....

14 posts in this topic

Hi! I've been lurking for a couple weeks and figured I better jump in and say hi.

My name is Michele (US) and my husband is John (UK). We've been married over 4 years and live in Scotland. My husband was made redundant after 20 years of working with this company. His last day of work is December 31st.

We are going to immigrate to the US now and on Sept 16th filed the I-130 in the London Embassy. I received a notice that says the I-130 was file on 9/22. Is that what you'd consider NOA1?!?!?! There was no case number on this postcard they sent so I can't track it online.

We put our house on the market last week because we thought it would take up to 6 months to sell (it isn't a desirable location for most as there are apartments right behind us). It sold in one week. So we are out of our house as of January 15th. We can stay with his parents but they are older and real nervous and our 2 kids under 4 yrs will make then crazy.

When I originally started reading the boards I thought I read that it was taking about 3-4 months on average to get a greencard. Now, I'm reading more and finding that it's more like 7 months and longer. Can anyone give me happy news here?!??!!

I'm getting really nervous. We have no job (as of right now) after December 31st and nowhere to live (that we can stay for any length of time) after January. I could fly to the states with the girls myself but I think it would really upset us all to be apart very long.

So, anyone have any good info for me, or advice? Anyone on this board in the UK going for the CR1 right now?

Michele

We're going through the process right now too. The last I heard was 6 months total, but hopefully now that summer is over things will start speeding up. Apparently most people end up applying over the summer so that is their busiest time. Our I-130 was received Aug 18, so if we get an update soon I'll let you know and maybe you can judge your timeline from there.

Good luck!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
We are going to immigrate to the US now and on Sept 16th filed the I-130 in the London Embassy. I received a notice that says the I-130 was file on 9/22. Is that what you'd consider NOA1?!?!?! There was no case number on this postcard they sent so I can't track it online.

We put our house on the market last week because we thought it would take up to 6 months to sell (it isn't a desirable location for most as there are apartments right behind us). It sold in one week. So we are out of our house as of January 15th. We can stay with his parents but they are older and real nervous and our 2 kids under 4 yrs will make then crazy.

When I originally started reading the boards I thought I read that it was taking about 3-4 months on average to get a greencard. Now, I'm reading more and finding that it's more like 7 months and longer. Can anyone give me happy news here?!??!!

I'm getting really nervous. We have no job (as of right now) after December 31st and nowhere to live (that we can stay for any length of time) after January. I could fly to the states with the girls myself but I think it would really upset us all to be apart very long.

So, anyone have any good info for me, or advice? Anyone on this board in the UK going for the CR1 right now?

Michele

Hi Michele,

It sounds as if you have confused your timeline with those of people who have filed through the US--your timeline will be very unique as a locally filed case.

As a DCF case, you will not get the traditional set of "NOAs". You will also not ever be able to track your case online.

The postcard is the notice that USCIS London got your I-130 and accepted it for processing.

They have the I-130 for a short period of time and pass it along to the Immigrant Visa Unit at the Consular Section. You may get a postcard notifying you of this. Your beneficiary will then get a notice of the documents to collect, and how to let them know when you are ready for an interview. If you start gathering all the paperwork NOW, you can speed up that interview process. Ordering the police certificate is a good one to start with as it takes 40 days, and then the I-864, because you may need to order documents to support it.

The typical London DCF case takes about 4 months from I-130--visa. Hopefully you won't be homeless. :)

So, while the collective you will be applying for an Immigrant Visa (yours will be IR-1 btw since you've been married +2 years), don't confuse your timelines with those who have filed I-130 in the US.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

I just saw someone that filed in July and has an interview in October!!! I was so happy to see her timeline!!!

So where are you now and where will you be going?

Michele

meauxna,

You are exactly right...I was looking at all the folks in the US and was scared to death! Now I've founf some in the UK doing DCF and so much happier with their timelines!!!

We do have all the paperwork and are ready to go....well, after my husband gets his vaccines which will be scheduled tomorrow.

I have the 864 ready to go...but what documents would have to be ordered?

Michele

I just saw someone that filed in July and has an interview in October!!! I was so happy to see her timeline!!!

Michele

meauxna,

You are exactly right...I was looking at all the folks in the US and was scared to death! Now I've founf some in the UK doing DCF and so much happier with their timelines!!!

We do have all the paperwork and are ready to go....well, after my husband gets his vaccines which will be scheduled tomorrow.

Michele

You don't necessarily have to order any documents.

the USC will need copy of last tax return...and then you will just need bank documents for any accounts you are using to show assets....paperwork on home value, etc if you will be using that to qualify. Those types of things. We already had all of our paperwork, so we just had to gather it together.

Timeline
meauxna,

Michele

Super!

Re documents, what Shala said. I wasn't clear on how much reading ahead you'd done. Tax transcripts or asset evidence is what I was thinking of.

OK, nothing to do now but pack! Have fun!! :)

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

The embassy does have a DCF timeline on their website for the I-130 part. See this link:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/dhs/uscis/i130filing.html

As of Oct 10 they are processing I-130's filed on July 13.

Michele, We are in London and plan on relocating to the NE

Timeline

Thanks for reminding us of that link, jess.

I could've been more clear that DCF cases can't be tracked on the usual uscis.gov site most often used here.. I think that was the OP's confusion (stateside I-130 cases) before.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Michele

meauxna,

Michele

Don't forget to get the Police Certificate this can and probably will take around 40 days to process. Also if require a co-sponsor (as you both live in the UK) it would be a good idea to sort this out now too.

Good Luck

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Anyone know which docs are needed for the 864? Is that the financial one?

I haven't worked for the past 2 yrs so have no tax returns from those years and dh has been supporting me. I'm guessing we will need a co-sponsor b/c of that and my parents will do it, but I guess I should let them know what I need so they can start gathering on their end.

Timeline

I haven't worked for the past 2 yrs so have no tax returns from those years and dh has been supporting me. I'm guessing we will need a co-sponsor b/c of that and my parents will do it, but I guess I should let them know what I need so they can start gathering on their end.

Yes, I-864 is the financial one. You will have to complete one of your own work or no work. Then the parent you choose will fill out a separate one.

Hints and links are in the DCF Guide; hit uscis.gov and download the form. The instructions are much better now, on the form, and it should all be pretty clear after a read-through.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Yes, I-864 is the financial one. You will have to complete one of your own work or no work. Then the parent you choose will fill out a separate one.

Hints and links are in the DCF Guide; hit uscis.gov and download the form. The instructions are much better now, on the form, and it should all be pretty clear after a read-through.

thanks Meauxna!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.