TimR

NBI Clearance for USE in Manila, Philippines

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Could someone who has been through the K-1 interview in Manila give us some guidance, please? My fiance has already received her NBI Clearance and the notation says "No Criminal Record." BUT...the K-1 instructions included in the packet which the USE sends out read, "An official letter of explanation from the NBI is required if an NBI Clearance has any of the following notations: 'No Criminal Record,' 'No Criminal Conviction,' 'No Pending Case,' or 'With Derogatory Record.'" Since my fiance's NBI Clearance does have the notation "No Criminal Conviction," we are in the process of trying to secure this letter of explanation, but the NBI in Cebu has told her that the NBI in Manila is where she has to get this letter from. Is that true, or can the NBI in Cebu issue that letter? We are equally puzzled as to why the USE would need a letter of explanation anyway, since "No Criminal Conviction" would seem to be self-explanatory. So we need the counsel of someone who has already gone through the interview in Manila. Is this letter necessary and does my fiance have to go to Manila to get it?

Thanks for your help.

TimR

Tim,

I called the NBI at 523-8231 local 5499. "No Criminal Record" or "No Criminal Conviction" could mean, among other things, that a case may have been filed which did not result in a conviction. So US Embassy would need the letter from the NBI to explain the notation.

According to NBI, its Manila office is the only office authorized to issue the letter and your fiancee has to personally get the letter for interview purposes. She would need to bring her NBI clearance, the embassy checklist, and court records she may have regarding a case she may have been involved in (could be as simple as quarrel with neighbors that reached the court). She can receive the letter in one day.

For comparison, my NBI clearance had the notation "No Derogatory Record".

PW

Timeline
Could someone who has been through the K-1 interview in Manila give us some guidance, please? My fiance has already received her NBI Clearance and the notation says "No Criminal Record." BUT...the K-1 instructions included in the packet which the USE sends out read, "An official letter of explanation from the NBI is required if an NBI Clearance has any of the following notations: 'No Criminal Record,' 'No Criminal Conviction,' 'No Pending Case,' or 'With Derogatory Record.'" Since my fiance's NBI Clearance does have the notation "No Criminal Conviction," we are in the process of trying to secure this letter of explanation, but the NBI in Cebu has told her that the NBI in Manila is where she has to get this letter from. Is that true, or can the NBI in Cebu issue that letter? We are equally puzzled as to why the USE would need a letter of explanation anyway, since "No Criminal Conviction" would seem to be self-explanatory. So we need the counsel of someone who has already gone through the interview in Manila. Is this letter necessary and does my fiance have to go to Manila to get it?

Thanks for your help.

TimR

Tim,

When your fiancee applied for an NBI clearance, she should have stated the purpose as FOR TRAVEL ABROAD as this is what the US Embassy will want to see on the clearance. I suggest that your fiancee apply again for an NBI clearance in Cebu and specify that this is for travel abroad. I was able to get mine with a stamp of FOR TRAVEL ABROAD.

Normally, without specifying such, the default notations would show..NO CRIMINAL RECORD.

Hope to have shed some light on your predicament.

Maria

K-1 & K-2s TIMELINE_____

* met May-05, Maria & sons Manila, Philippines - Richard & daughters Toledo, Ohio

* Richard move to WI Sept-05, exchange extended visits Oct, Nov & Dec (05) & Feb (06)

* K-1&2s on file @ NSC 3-6-06, case xfer to CSC 6-1-06

* touches 6-2&3&14&15&17, RFE (IMBRA) CSC letter sent 6-23-06, touches 7-3&5

* RFE express return to/@ CSC 7-14-06, more touches 7-24&25, 9-5&6, NOA2 email notice rcvd 9-6

* visit Philippines & China Sept-2006, again see Maria & more extended family

* NVC assigns Embassy Case# 10-6; 10-12 letter rcvd 10-16 (sent 10-12) NVC receipt of I-129f

* rcvd letter 10-31 Embassy has paperwork, phone & embassy website 12-13 shows 2-13-07 interview

* Pgk 4 rcvd 12-21, St. Lukes Extension exams/vaccinations 1-10&11

* Manila interview 2-13; Delbros text message to Maria 2-6 - visas rcvd 2-19

AOS & EAD TIMELINE______

* P.O.E. Minneapolis & reunited in Milwaukee airport 3-4

* wedding 3-10 Plover, WI, applied for Maria's SSN 3-28 @ local office

* I-693A done @ civil surgeon office 4-4, Maria's SS card rcvd 4-16,

* mailed AOS (Chicago) & EAD (Nebraska) paperwork 4-21

* rcvd USCIS receipts of paperwork 5-2, posted wedding pics on VJ 5-3

* Maria's AOS biometrics appointment 5-22, son's on 6-5, no update on EAD status yet

* rcvd AOS appointment 5-26, set for 7-9 in Bloomington,MN office

* applied for Maria's WI state ID 6-5 & card rcvd 6-11

* AOS approved @ 7-9 interview, told to expect green cards 5-30 days

* USCIS confirms approved A#s rcvd 7-14, 2 green cards rcd 7-23

Tim,

When your fiancee applied for an NBI clearance, she should have stated the purpose as FOR TRAVEL ABROAD as this is what the US Embassy will want to see on the clearance. I suggest that your fiancee apply again for an NBI clearance in Cebu and specify that this is for travel abroad. I was able to get mine with a stamp of FOR TRAVEL ABROAD.

Normally, without specifying such, the default notations would show..NO CRIMINAL RECORD.

Maria

Good advice. What a smart lady :)

If anyone would like more Philippines specific visa help, see my signature :)

Joel & Analyn

www.PinoyInfo.net - Great Philippines specific immigration resource. Please come and join!

Call Philippines mobile 10 cents a minute

Tim,

Maria

Good advice. What a smart lady :)

If anyone would like more Philippines specific visa help, see my signature :)

ditto - this is what Claudeth did and had no problems with the NBI clearance at the embassy

Good luck

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Timeline

Hey, thanks everybody, for all of your help. Churchita got a new NBI clearance yesterday and it is for travel abroad, with the notation "No record on file." I hope this is sufficient now. We are still waiting patiently for her interview to be scheduled. USE in Manila received all of our files on 9/11/06. We were hoping to have her over here for Christmas, but maybe it will be January. Anyway, thanks again.

TimR

Timeline

Lilia's NBI is dated July 5 and states "No derogatory record". Also states for foreign travel. It is valid for one year. I expect our interview to be in January. Does this all sound correct? I don't want her to get to interview and have to re-schedule because of some minor "slip-up".

Edited by robhankins

03/20/2006 - I-129F - Sent FedEX

03/28/2006 - NOA 1 (Receipt) - NOA issued from CSC

07/03/2006 - RFE (Receipt) - RFE Received

07/07/2006 - RFE and Waiver Request - RFE arrived at CSC

09/01/2006 - NOA2 - USCIS Email - Approved w/Waiver

09/22/2006 - Electronic Version - Manila - Embassy Received

12/13/2006 - Packet 4 Received via DHL

12/21/2007 - Medical St. Lukes

12/22/2006 - St. Luke's canceled medical in progress - required additional tests in Jan for upper respiratory congestion.

12/28/2006 - Interview Canceled because of congestion and cough during medical at St. Lukes

01/09/2007 - St. Luke's for 3 consecutive days of "sputum tests and finish medical"

01/10/2007 - St. Luke's for 3 consecutive days of "sputum tests and finish medical"

01/11/2007 - St. Luke's for 3 consecutive days of "sputum tests and finish medical"

01/12/2007 - St. Luke's for pulmonary exam - EVERYTHING CLEAR

01/15/2007 - St. Luke's for vaccinations and release of medical to USE

02/26/2007 - Interview APPROVED - 11+ months for K1 Visa

03/05/2007 - Visa in hand

03/05/2007 - CFO Completed

03/06/2007 - Arrived in Dallas

04/29/2007 - Married in Dallas

• 4 weeks later...

I just received documents from my asawa today - color copies of her new passport bio page, NBI, police certificate and barangay clearance.

Her NBI states for "travel abroad", which is good, and "no record on file", which is good, but does NOT have her right thumb print on this in the lower right corner, which I assume is bad. It states "not valid without dry seal and thumb print" in lower left corner. In this state I don't believe NVC or the embassy will accept. Correct assumption?

Her police certificate is a long sheet, with hand typed info and hand written signatures, etc. It includes both her right and left thumb prints. There is a space for an ID photo, about the size of a passport photo. Should there be a photo pasted to this? It also has a neat stamp (15 piso) in the lower left corner with a serial number on it, and some initials, and ink scratches on all four sides extending into the surrounding sheet of paper. Is this a fee payment stamp and a means of proving it was attached if it falls off? Should I leave this as is or apply a small piece of tape to it?

She also has sent me her barangay clearance, which I don't need for NVC DS-230 submittal.

Thanks for any assistance and clarification.

Michael and Milah Jean

04/24/2006 | Married in Leyte
06/16/2006 | Mail I-130 petition to NSC
03/15/2007 | INTERVIEW - 6:30 am - APPROVED!!!!
04/05/2007 | ARRIVED IN AMERICA!!! (Detroit)
04/14/2007 | Received SSN card in mail
04/23/2007 | Received 2 yr green card
04/24/2007 | CELEBRATE FIRST ANNIVERSARY!!!
11/16/2007 | We're pregnant!!!
07/01/2008 | Ester Faith born at 11:49 pm
02/12/2009 | Mail I-751 petition to remove conditions
04/16/2009 | Approved - Letter recd 4/21/2009
06/29/2009 | Received 10 yr green card
07/11/2009 | Received Ohio driver's license - passed road test 1st try!!
01/29/2011 | We're preggie...again!!!
09/21/2011 | Eugene Filip born - 7:55 am

02/29/2016 | Mail N-400 application

05/19/2016 | Naturalization interview

06/16/2016 | Oath ceremony

What is the "police certificate"? The K1 instructions say NBI clearance and police clearance for foreign countries lived-in. Do we also need to get a Phil police clearance or brngy clearance in addition to NBI?

my blog: http://immigrationlawreformblog.blogspot.com/

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

-- Charles M. Province

Sorry for the mis-phrasing. The official document titles are NBI Record Clearance, Police Clearance and Barangay Clearance. You won't need the barangay clearance for anything USCIS, NVC or US Embassy. It's needed for business purposes typically, but it states "This certificate is being issued upon request of the interested party for whatever legal purpose it may serve". It's a declaration that the person is known to the barangay official and is of good character and has never been charged or convicted of any offense. It's a locally orginated certificate.

Michael and Milah Jean

04/24/2006 | Married in Leyte
06/16/2006 | Mail I-130 petition to NSC
03/15/2007 | INTERVIEW - 6:30 am - APPROVED!!!!
04/05/2007 | ARRIVED IN AMERICA!!! (Detroit)
04/14/2007 | Received SSN card in mail
04/23/2007 | Received 2 yr green card
04/24/2007 | CELEBRATE FIRST ANNIVERSARY!!!
11/16/2007 | We're pregnant!!!
07/01/2008 | Ester Faith born at 11:49 pm
02/12/2009 | Mail I-751 petition to remove conditions
04/16/2009 | Approved - Letter recd 4/21/2009
06/29/2009 | Received 10 yr green card
07/11/2009 | Received Ohio driver's license - passed road test 1st try!!
01/29/2011 | We're preggie...again!!!
09/21/2011 | Eugene Filip born - 7:55 am

02/29/2016 | Mail N-400 application

05/19/2016 | Naturalization interview

06/16/2016 | Oath ceremony

Hi,

you wrote:

"I just received documents from my asawa today - color copies of her new passport bio page, NBI, police certificate and barangay clearance."

I thought the NBI certificate was the same thing as the police record?????

Am I wrong? Do we need to get yet another certificate(police)

2_us1.JPG

May 1,2006 Went to Philippines and married my sweety.

----------------------------------

Case completed at NVC 12-01-06 Yaaaaay

Received Interview date notice Feb 6

Physical Feb 20-21 (Went well!)

Interview date March 19"

Be sure to print out a copy of silly girls famous ST. Lukes step by step story.... Its fantastic and made it incredibly easy for my wife to go through the 2 day procedure. I will go find it and put a link.... here it is:

http://www.raymonddouglas.com/visa/medical.pdf

Do yourself a favor and print this out and take it with you to your physical....You'll be glad you did!!

Entered USA 06/06/2007

-----------------------------------------

Naturalization

Sent N-400 on 3/11/10

They received 3/15/10

Cashed Check 3/19/10

Received NOA 3/29/10

Received bio notice 4/05/10

Early biometrics 4/14/10 different from

the date assigned (Original BIO date was 4/27)

Received interview date notice 5/19

Interview 6/24

Oath 8/13 Done.... and DONE!!!! :-)

Timeline
Hey, thanks everybody, for all of your help. Churchita got a new NBI clearance yesterday and it is for travel abroad, with the notation "No record on file." I hope this is sufficient now. We are still waiting patiently for her interview to be scheduled. USE in Manila received all of our files on 9/11/06. We were hoping to have her over here for Christmas, but maybe it will be January. Anyway, thanks again.

TimR

If they ask for a explanation of the NBI clearance how is a new NBI clearance going to help? I would think they still would want to know why it was that way in the first place. You might want to make sure otherwise you are just wasting time.

NM thought you already had the interview.....diff person. :blush:

Edited by windchaser_4

ME MIC.GIFFiancee PHI.GIF

-----------------------------------------

Day 1---- 6-13-2005 Sent I-129f in

Day 77--- 8-29-2005 NOA2

Day 106---9-27-2005 Manila recieved case

Day 445---9-01-2006 Interview date(AR).........Waiting

Day 499--10-25-2006 Case sent back to Embassy for review

Day 529--11-24-2006 Recieved Visa from Delbros!

Timeline

Wow, what a lucky find! Ghie was asking me just yesterday on the phone about this, and I told her to call the NBI office and ask them. Then I read these posts! Thanks alot everyone and God Bless! Stacy

Remember: "No matter how bad things SEEM to be, it could ALWAYS BE WORSE!"

K1 JOURNEY:

01/02/2006 - Met online.

05/15/2003 - Met first time in Manila.

06/10/2006 - Engagement.

09/09/2006 - I-129F Sent to VSC.

09/11/2006 - I-129F Signed for at VSC

09/26/2006 - I-129F Approved (through Email)

09/27/2006 - Touched

10/04/2006 - Received Approval from NVC!!!! (Hardcopy)

10/09/2006 - Fiancee recieves Notice of Reciept from US Embassey, Manila!!!!

Taking a look at Jenalyn's NBI clearance I noticed that while it does NOT have any of the four remarks that require an NBI letter of explanation. It does say under remarks: "No record on file". and then at the bottom it states: "For travel abroad"

Anybody have a thought to whether this would be acceptable?

And, the clearance is valid for one year, any thoughts on whether it should be dated extremely close to the interview date, or should a date of April 26, 2006 be OK, assuming a Dec. 5 interview?

It seems like I'm obsessing on the smallest details at this point, but its in my nature.

Thanks.

my blog: http://immigrationlawreformblog.blogspot.com/

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

-- Charles M. Province

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.