beaner0500

Shipping from U.K. to U.S.

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi all,

Nigel is looking into shipping some of his stuff over when he comes since he has a few bikes. Can anyone recommend a shipping company they used?

Thanks!

c

May 2003 - Met in Vegas

October 2004 - First trip to England to see Nigel

November 24, 2005 - Engaged!

December 13, 2005 - Sent I-129

December 16, 2005 - I-129 received in Vermont

December 19, 2005 - NOA1

January 3, 2005 - NOA2

January 27, 2006 - Packet 3 received

February 9, 2006 - Packet 3 sent back

March 13, 2006 - Medical appointment

March 23, 2006 - Packet 4 received

April 18, 2006 - Interview - VISA APPROVED!!!

June 21, 2006 - Nigel arrives!

July 12, 2006 - Applied for SSN

July 14, 2006 - Married at courthouse

July 19, 2006 - Received SSN

August 8, 2006 - Filed for AOS and EAD

August 17, 2006 - Received NOA

September 2, 2006 - Received notice that case was transferred to CSC

September 5, 2006 - Biometrics appt

September 30, 2006 - Official wedding with friends and family - woohoo!

October 12, 2006 - Received email that case was approved

October 16, 2006 - GC arrived!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I bought most of my stuff over as excess luggage on American Airlines (3 additional suitcases + my 2 checked bags). Cost about 170GBP from London Heathrow through Chicago to St. Louis.

I also shipped a bike using UPS. Cost me about 120GBP, was picked up from my house in London and arrived at my new house in the US on the exact day they said it would 1 week later. I got an empty bike box from my local bike shop for free. I know for a fact that a properly packaged bike in a box or bike bag can be checked onto most airlines in lieu of one other piece of checked luggage. That might be something else to bar in mind.

There are probably internationa movers who will do the same amount for less but they will almost certainly take longer to get his stuff to him after he's waved it goodbye. Excess baggage means it arrives when you do and UPS was as quick as any other parcel service.

Mark :)

Our Full Timeline From K-1 Application through to Receiving my Green Card

Timeline Summary

11/30/2007 - I-751 Mailed to Nebraska

12/28/2007 - NOA Received (application has been forwarded to California)

01/09/2008 - Biometrics taken in St. Louis

03/27/2008 - I-751 Approved, 10 Yr Greencard in the mail !!

12/20/2016 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox

01/17/2017 - NOA Received

01/25/2017 - Attended biometrics in St. Louis

09/29/2017 - Received I-797C notice dated 09/27/17.  Interview Scheduled for November 6th @ 8am

11/06/2017 - N400 interview in St. Louis.  Approved !!:jest:

02/05/2018 - Notice of Oath Ceremony date received.  March 1st, 2018 @ 8.30am

"Though miles once lay between us, we were never far apart, for true love doesn't count the miles, it's measured by the heart"

Check out our website - "Our Journey Together"

View Our Online Photo Albums - "Mark and Debs' Webshots Albums"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

My husband also used UPS to ship his things. He was very pleased. The boxes he shipped almost beat him here! Althoughhe didn't have a lot to ship ( just 4 or 5 boxes ), it wasn't that expensive overall.

Karen ( USA ) and Tony ( UK ) now both residing in USA!!

2/28/05- I-129F sent to TSC

7/29/05- Interview date- Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10/06/05-Tony comes home to Tennessee!!!

10/08/05-WE'RE MARRIED!!! I love this man!

AOS/EAD/AP

11/26/05-filed for emergency AP

11/29/05-filed for AOS/EAD

03/07/06-online EAD approval

03/10/06-received EAD in post and passed driving test (Wow what a day)

07/26/06-AOS Interview---APPROVED!!!!!!

07/31/06-received 'Welcome to America' Letter

08/07/06-received Green card in post wooooooooohoooooooo

03/30/09-received approval to remove conditions!

I agree I liked the speediness of UPS and no hassles as it's door to door.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Filed: Timeline

I shipped over by sea a very large freight container from my previous location (Indian Ocean area) using Allied Pickfords. This most proabably is not what Nigel is doing though - I sent lots of furniture, household goods, antiques etc...it cost about GBP 5000.

Some personal things from the UK (about 120 kg) I shipped over by air freight (door-to-door) with Excess Baggage. It cost GBP 575.

• 1 month later...

Check out the Moving to America thread - topic US Customs fees - Robinson's arent recommended!

I'm still faffing about over this one myself - I have no clue who to use because I have so many books (and Ive got rid of LOTS!) that need shipping/flying/whatever. The sheer expense puts me off (yes Im cheap :lol: )

I already decided to take a couple extra suitcases WITH me when i go (and pay the excess) because that means I can take all my clothing and all of my daughter's clothing and some soft toys so she and I have then the day we arrive.

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

very good question! This is something I haven't completly thought about yet!

Chris is a drummer and has two kits and 15 snares among other goodies!

Good to know who is better then others as far as shipping goes!!

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

There used to be some really good posts about a company that shipped things from the UK to the US but I can't seem to find those posts. Maybe someone with better search skills can search the old posts and find it for you. I know several people really raved about the English company. Good luck

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Seems like UPS is the way to go for most stuff. And I'm going over for one last trip in the beginning of May so I'll probably bring a big suitcase with me and take some of his stuff back with me. Still not sure what he'll do with his bikes but I'm sure we'll figure it out.

May 2003 - Met in Vegas

October 2004 - First trip to England to see Nigel

November 24, 2005 - Engaged!

December 13, 2005 - Sent I-129

December 16, 2005 - I-129 received in Vermont

December 19, 2005 - NOA1

January 3, 2005 - NOA2

January 27, 2006 - Packet 3 received

February 9, 2006 - Packet 3 sent back

March 13, 2006 - Medical appointment

March 23, 2006 - Packet 4 received

April 18, 2006 - Interview - VISA APPROVED!!!

June 21, 2006 - Nigel arrives!

July 12, 2006 - Applied for SSN

July 14, 2006 - Married at courthouse

July 19, 2006 - Received SSN

August 8, 2006 - Filed for AOS and EAD

August 17, 2006 - Received NOA

September 2, 2006 - Received notice that case was transferred to CSC

September 5, 2006 - Biometrics appt

September 30, 2006 - Official wedding with friends and family - woohoo!

October 12, 2006 - Received email that case was approved

October 16, 2006 - GC arrived!

Filed: Timeline

I didn't realize you could take 3 excess bags on a flight...prolly each airline is different. But when I moved to the UK, I only brought 1.

I was also thinkin I could go back over there to 'pick him up' so to speak...we could say 'see you later' to Ole Blighty, have a few going away parties with our friends, and let him use my luggage allowance as well!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi guys and girls crash here

ok so i sent 5 boxes over by fedex i did my best to put their backs out maybe next shipment i will try for a double hernia for the pick up guys hehe i'm bad lol

ok so to send your used personal items across before you go is alot easier than i first imagined you need 2 documents 1 of each must be originals and 1 copy of each for the amount of boxes you send so with my 5 boxes it was 1 set of originals and 5 copies

first form/document is a proforma invoice this is basically a request that customs accept your estimates for cost prices you paid for the items you are sending .... now you are supposed to fill it out and itemise each and every item inside the box and give an estimate of its price

well fedex turned up 10 mins after i finished printing of 1 copy of each so my proforma invoice was various this and various that and i may have neglected to add prices (well i know i did but sounds better if i didn't)lol

the second form/document is cbp(customs and border protection) form 3299

this is the declaration of free entry of unaccompanied articles

this you have to fill out in more detail than the proforma invoice now i got worried when filling this out as it asked for importers date of arrival into the country so i put the date i expect to fly out to go home(home is where the heart is)

i put on the second page prices weyhey more than i did on the proforma invoice lol

basically all my boxes arrived without hindrance and intact if anyone needs these forms and wants to save time in searching for them i have them stored on my pc as pdf's

hope this helps anyone looking to send there personal belonging over before they go

:wacko::help: i need a laydown all this posting ive just done :help::wacko:

[CARI HERE - he didn't mention MY hernia when i had to go pick up the damn boxes.....]

Hi guys and girls crash here

ok so i sent 5 boxes over by fedex i did my best to put their backs out maybe next shipment i will try for a double hernia for the pick up guys hehe i'm bad lol

ok so to send your used personal items across before you go is alot easier than i first imagined you need 2 documents 1 of each must be originals and 1 copy of each for the amount of boxes you send so with my 5 boxes it was 1 set of originals and 5 copies

first form/document is a proforma invoice this is basically a request that customs accept your estimates for cost prices you paid for the items you are sending .... now you are supposed to fill it out and itemise each and every item inside the box and give an estimate of its price

well fedex turned up 10 mins after i finished printing of 1 copy of each so my proforma invoice was various this and various that and i may have neglected to add prices (well i know i did but sounds better if i didn't)lol

the second form/document is cbp(customs and border protection) form 3299

this is the declaration of free entry of unaccompanied articles

this you have to fill out in more detail than the proforma invoice now i got worried when filling this out as it asked for importers date of arrival into the country so i put the date i expect to fly out to go home(home is where the heart is)

i put on the second page prices weyhey more than i did on the proforma invoice lol

basically all my boxes arrived without hindrance and intact if anyone needs these forms and wants to save time in searching for them i have them stored on my pc as pdf's

hope this helps anyone looking to send there personal belonging over before they go

:wacko::help: i need a laydown all this posting ive just done :help::wacko:

[CARI HERE - he didn't mention MY hernia when i had to go pick up the damn boxes.....]

crash here hunny you said you were going to have 3 shredded wheat for breakfast

Edited by crashandcari

sig1-1.gif

Crash (UK) and Cari (NYC) Two lives, two hearts joined together in friendship united forever in LOVE

July 17, 2005 - HAPPIEST DAY OF MY LIFE - OUR WEDDING DAY!!!!!

I-130

8/8/05 - sent I-130 to Vermont

8/18/05 received NOA!!

9/9/05 I-130 APPROVED!!

2/13/06 CASE COMPLETE per NVC - got letter on 2/25/06

3/28/06 - INTERVIEW SCHEDULED FOR 5/2/06 @ 10:30 A.M.

Medical scheduled for 4/10/06 - everything went great!!

5/2/06 - INTERVIEW - APPROVED !!

5/20/06 - Crash came home to NY for good!!

2.png

I-751

3/24/08 sent in petition to VSC

3/25/08 FedEx confirmed-package received

3/28/08 check cleared bank

3/31/08 received NOA1-extension (dated 3/25/08)!!

4/7/08 received NOA2-biometrics appt (dated 4/3/08)!

I thought you had to be physically present to receive the sent boxes of personal items??

Or is that just for shipping stuff?

Id like to send stuff to my S.O. NOW - if possible but I thought it wasn't allowed..

As a side note - I spoke to US Airways yesterday about excess bags and they basically said I can take as many as I want (and can PAY for!! lol) as long as no single bag is over 23kg..you get two free (your personal allowance for the flight; total of which can't be more than 46kg) then every bag after that is $80 (if less than 23kg - over that you pay more, double if its under 46kg but OVER 23kg).

That sounds pretty reasonable to me...I'd planned to take 2 large wheely cases each for me and my daughter but if I can take MORE that would be good (just hope I can DEAL with moving them all thru the airport! lol)

Applied for K1

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

I used UPS and sent them over without me being here. It was no problem. Dealing with FedEx was just a complete pain in the jacksy so I gave up on them. Take as many excess baggages as you can handle as that is definitely the cheapest option. There are usually a few porters around to help you for a tip, especially as most airport trolleys cost $3 a time anyway.

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

Lou-Lou - did you send the stuff wih UPS addressed t yourself at what would be yr new US addy? Or did you send them to your other half? If #2, what did you put on the customs form?

Applied for K1

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

I sent it to my OH as I wasn't going to be there. On the customs I declared them as personal items all over 1 year old. There was also a detailed list of what was in every box. Does that answer your question? I can't remember the forms entirely but I'm sure if I saw one again I'd remember!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.